Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad

Memorizing the Quran

I just wish to mention some things people said to me during Ramadan, while I was leading prayer in a mosque, in regards to memorizing the Quran.

Many people came up to me and said to me, "they really want to memorize the Quran but they just can't". Others saying "I am not Arab, therefore, it is very hard for me". Or “I don’t know Arabic so it is very difficultâ€. These aren’t the exact word, just parapharased by me, but the idea is the same. From this I realized that most people take the Quran to be something that is extremely hard to memorize, especially with school, work, family, etc.

However, that is not the case at all. Allah (SWT) says in the Quran, Surah AL-QAMAR, in numerous verses.

“And We have indeed made the Quran easy to understand and remember: then is there any that will receive admonition?â€

So for those that really and truly want to learn the Quran, no matter from what background Allah will make it easy for you.

Here are some suggestions from me on how to memorize the Quran. Again these are my own suggestions and something that has helped me. It may or may not work for you. Hopefully it may.

- Know the Arabic alphabet. If you know the Qida (I think that’s how you spell) it, it will much easier, for those that do not know Arabic.

If I don’t know the English alphabet and I start reading English I won’t be able to read it and comprehend it at all. Same logic can be applied here. Some people open the Quran and try to read it and after trying 10 minutes everyday for a week, give up.

- Don’t try to memorize it own your own. Memorize the Quran with a teacher.

I know some people that go to university and during weekend go to a teacher. The teacher listens to what they have memorized during the week and gives them more to memorize for next week. Quran and Islam unlike other studies (math, science…) can’t be learnt by sitting at home. If Allah wanted, Allah could have revealed the Quran in a form of a book and instead of Prophet (SAW) teaching the Sahaba the Quran, he could have given them the Quran and they would go home, read it and memorize it. However, that is not the case, for it can’t be done.

- Don’t try to over memorize.

If you are a beginner, start off with one or two verses. Do not give yourself hope that you can memorize an entire Juz in one week.

Inshallah, if you are devoted then Allah will make it easy for you, for Allah has promised it in the Quran. May Allah allow us to all to memorize and understand the Quran. Ameen.

Please feel free to give constructive criticism regarding the tips or your own experience.

Jazakallah.

hmm very interesting info muhammed

but to sit with a teacher everyday is immposible for some people. that is why some people memorize in their spare time. and check it with an imam on the weekend. besides when you are learning with an imam the imam will just listen to you memorize. it makes little difference whether he hears the memorizing process or whether he listens to the compleated sabaq at the end of the week.

I agree with you Al-Falah. I am just saying don't memorize the Quran completley on your own without a teacher or a person knowing the quran listening to you. It could be done every day, every week, or even two weeks.

To combine both Al-Falah's and Muhammad's ideas, I think memorize on one's own time is probably more realistic, however a link to a teacher is definitely needed to make sure your Tajweed is down pat and you don't mess up any verses and such.

yeah i agree. memorize and ask a teacher. both are nessesary. without a teacher there would be tons of problems.

^^ur right hamzah, i thought i had a surrah down and memorized it the wrong way.........the day later, i went with my uncle to the masjid and i recited it to the sheikh.........HE COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING :lol::lol::lol: .........I WAS ONLY 12 THOUGH

Yes, I agree with weirdo. A teacher is really important and that was my point. You might know Arabic but there are some words, majority of Arabs don’t know the meaning and nor the pronunciation, and when they do pronunce it, it is wrong.

one of meh first cousins has finish Memorizing the whole quran

at age 14

not bad

Pretty good! Mashallah!. I know of a child that came to Canada in Jamia Islamia (sauga). He was 4 YRS old and had memorized the Quran. I have a video tape of it.

That was 2 yrs ago, when Sheikh Huzaifi also came.