Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alice

Misinformation about Islam

Islam review: www.islamreview.com/articles/madinasuras.shtml

One of my mates joined a Facebook group "stop our sikh sisters from being drugged, raped, beaten and used for prostitution": http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5791706178&ref=nf which mentioned the above Islamreview link as a DISTURBING POPULAR ISLAMIC WEBSITE when on further inspection of the About Us section, it turns out to be a self-admitted Christian organization.

I know a lot of you might yawn or roll your eyes at this example of misinformation, but how the heck do you respond when somebody who has read this stuff comes at you with questions about Islam?

On another note about the group, I have heard on the news before about Muslim men in the UK targeting non-Muslim girls for sex and prostitution, I wouldn't doubt that as I've witnessed Muslims there doing black magic and other haram acts, so when are we gonna take a stand and what are we doing to clean up our communities?

Asalamualykum warahamtullah,

Sister to be honest you shouldnt be posting the link becuase its just what they want the more ppl veiw it the better and off course some 1 is bound to click on it anjd it will brain wash them if their guard is down (iman), to be honest this site Alhamdulillah made me realise a few things becuase I took on board what they said and then just turned it upside down then saw the wisdom behind it. Im not biging the site up it was I was redirected to it thinking it was a muslim site only to find out at the end of the article I was reading. You should edit the post thats my advice, because 1 day I sent a ''fake quraan' email but received a counter saying no to distributed because indirectly I aqm doing their marketing Strategy and Wallahu Alam.

I saw that facebook group too. But it's not solely Muslim men who're the perpertrators, people of other faiths have equal representations. That facebook was made by Sikh guys, some of them have really big issues with the high rate of Muslim guys marrying Sikh girls. Plus there's loads more facebook groups like that it's just best not to read them if you can't get them closed.

Asalamualykum warahamtullah,

Sister to be honest you shouldnt be posting the link becuase its just what they want the more ppl veiw it the better and off course some 1 is bound to click on it anjd it will brain wash them if their guard is down (iman), to be honest this site Alhamdulillah made me realise a few things becuase I took on board what they said and then just turned it upside down then saw the wisdom behind it. Im not biging the site up it was I was redirected to it thinking it was a muslim site only to find out at the end of the article I was reading. You should edit the post thats my advice, because 1 day I sent a ''fake quraan' email but received a counter saying no to distributed because indirectly I aqm doing their marketing Strategy and Wallahu Alam.

Wa Alaykum Assalam,

I understand what you're saying and that wasn't my intention. We can avert our eyes from this because its easy for us to realize what it is: anti-Islam propaganda. My point was that a lot of non-Muslims are reading this kind of stuff, and my question to everyone out there was what is the best reply in that case? Just tell them its propaganda? I'm not sure that's enough, we as Muslims should have intelligent and easy-to-understand replies about our beautiful religion instead of appearing ignorant or disinterested. My second point was that, yes although every community(regardless of religion or lack thereof) has these problems with crime, is there anybody who's doing something about it?

I de-linked your URL so it doesn't get higher in Google.

People can still visit it themselves though.

:( erm, ok thanks I guess.

Sometimes I feel like, for the sake of improving our dawah abilities, we should think about how non-Muslims think, try to see things from their perspectives. I guess its easy for me since Im a revert. It can be a little frustrating at times, sometimes I feel like people who were Muslim their whole lives have no clue how non-Muslim brains work lol. I feel like Im talkin to a brick wall so Im just gonna discuss it elsewhere TT

I know what you mean. And don't worry you usually don't get this cold of a reception on MM. In the future just try to put questions like these in the religious section.

Misinformation about Islam has been around forever and will always exist. That can't be changed. What you can do is try to limit its impact and the easiest way to do that is by dissecting the arguments that are presented.

But first you have to identify your target audience. A LOT of people who post this kind of stuff on the internet are not looking for intellectual discourse, they have whatever personal reasons to slander Islam and will continually defend their points regardless of if they know how wrong they are. People like this will just waste your time.

The only way to have any real effect is by discussing these ideas on a personal basis with someone who has legitimate questions or concerns. I'm sure if you look/ask around you can find some good sites that deal with common misconceptions about Islam to use as a basis.

And yeah, most Muslims are too quick to brush it off as false anti-Islamic propaganda and leave it at just that, without considering the implications of what that might have on non-Muslims reading the material. We know it's false, but someone who's only seen one biased side of an argument might not. It works for the masses (^scroll up^) who might not want to pollute their already-fragile minds with ideas contrary to what they were taught and having to use their brains once in a while (oh noes!) to decipher truth from falsehood, but as a Dawah carrier you definitely should be prepared to offer rebuttals to the misinformation that's out there. There's lot of people that can help with that, and keep in mind not everyone on here is a brick wall.

I know what you mean. And don't worry you usually don't get this cold of a reception on MM. In the future just try to put questions like these in the religious section.

Misinformation about Islam has been around forever and will always exist. That can't be changed. What you can do is try to limit its impact and the easiest way to do that is by dissecting the arguments that are presented.

But first you have to identify your target audience. A LOT of people who post this kind of stuff on the internet are not looking for intellectual discourse, they have whatever personal reasons to slander Islam and will continually defend their points regardless of if they know how wrong they are. People like this will just waste your time.

The only way to have any real effect is by discussing these ideas on a personal basis with someone who has legitimate questions or concerns. I'm sure if you look/ask around you can find some good sites that deal with common misconceptions about Islam to use as a basis.

And yeah, most Muslims are too quick to brush it off as false anti-Islamic propaganda and leave it at just that, without considering the implications of what that might have on non-Muslims reading the material. We know it's false, but someone who's only seen one biased side of an argument might not. It works for the masses (^scroll up^) who might not want to pollute their already-fragile minds with ideas contrary to what they were taught and having to use their brains once in a while (oh noes!) to decipher truth from falsehood, but as a Dawah carrier you definitely should be prepared to offer rebuttals to the misinformation that's out there. There's lot of people that can help with that, and keep in mind not everyone on here is a brick wall.

Sal :D jazakAllah khair brother! Im so relieved to see somebody understood what I was trying to say. Maybe I should just take note about every bad thing they're saying about Islam, and study exactly where to look in the Quran and hadith that disproves their statements. Would take time but would be worh it I think. Insha'Allah I'll do that and post it in the religious section.

As for polluting already-fragile minds, I can see that and I'm afraid of it polluting my mind as well but sometimes you just gotta roll up your sleeves in the name of truth and in defense of Islam B) Inconvenient, but as I said, worth it.

You make some good points (which I removed from this quote hehehe) but Sal lets not make sweeping generalizations yea? Most muslims nothing. You claim that anti Islamic propaganda is brushed off as false and left alone. however have you taken into consideration that the more learned of us have seen many mass media outlets try to make a defamatory Image of Islam for the general public and are just tired of seeing Islams good name being dragged through the mud?

As Hamzah mentioned he removed the post in order so that it would not accumulate points on google, which is a good thing for the propaganda struggles that we as muslims face. Christian groups are just one amongst many that would seek to malign the true image of islam in the media. :hmm: maybe it is because we are taking so many of their unsatisfied followers and showing them the true and direct path to Allah with no partners?

:hmm: Welll in any case I do not use facebook but maybe you all should make a post/ thread and call it "Lets stop the systematic rape of our sisters in rape camps in Bosnia-Herzegovina" but I guess that one is kind of dated yea? okay well how about "Let's stop the rape of our sisters in Darfur by it's govenments own soldiers a government that is supported by the EU" Or more relevant to the geographical balance of the group mentioned in alices post. call it, "Let's stop the rape of our muslim sisters in the war zone portion of Kashmir by Indian soldiers"

well whatever the case my point is as such there are much better things to do than to criticize the muslims who do not want to give a stage to anti-islamic propaganda built and substantiated on false pretenses and demonizing rhetoric (see the post by Haaya).

You make some good points (which I removed from this quote hehehe) but Sal lets not make sweeping generalizations yea?

I'm sorry but I'm gonna generalize on this because I see the same thing happen over and over again. This thread is yet another example.

Most muslims nothing. You claim that anti Islamic propaganda is brushed off as false and left alone. however have you taken into consideration that the more learned of us have seen many mass media outlets try to make a defamatory Image of Islam for the general public and are just tired of seeing Islams good name being dragged through the mud?

Yes, however I don't see the relevance. Just because you're tired of something does not mean you can ignore it and hope it will go away without considering the effect it might have on people who read it.

As Hamzah mentioned he removed the post in order so that it would not accumulate points on google, which is a good thing for the propaganda struggles that we as muslims face. Christian groups are just one amongst many that would seek to malign the true image of islam in the media. :hmm: maybe it is because we are taking so many of their unsatisfied followers and showing them the true and direct path to Allah with no partners?

That's fine I have no problem with that. I don't advocate publicly advertising these kind of sites. It should only be visited by people who have an Islamic purpose in doing so.

well whatever the case my point is as such there are much better things to do than to criticize the muslims who do not want to give a stage to anti-islamic propaganda built and substantiated on false pretenses and demonizing rhetoric (see the post by Haaya).

It's a thin line between addressing anti-Islamic propaganda properly and inevitably giving it some sort of credence. It's best left to those who are knowledgable enough. So my critiscm isn't for most Muslims' lack of effort on this, but their lack of effort in seeking knowledge. I'm sorry if you misunderstood me.

P.S. Don't be a n*****-hater now! TEEHEE

I'm sorry but I'm gonna generalize on this because I see the same thing happen over and over again. This thread is yet another example.

Okay than, I guess you are determined to do so. But it is still a gross misrepresentation.

Yes, however I don't see the relevance. Just because you're tired of something does not mean you can ignore it and hope it will go away without considering the effect it might have on people who read it.

You are right no one should ignore this growing problem and their should be a constant response to it by muslims. However that does not mean every single muslim has to become an conveyer of the anti propagation movement. would you agree?

That's fine I have no problem with that. I don't advocate publicly advertising these kind of sites. It should only be visited by people who have an Islamic purpose in doing so.

I agree with you their however asides from being a scholar and going in to respond to these for your audience I dont think many a lay person should peruse this nonsense, it will only serve to confuse the less knowledge able about world events.

It's a thin line between addressing anti-Islamic propaganda properly and inevitably giving it some sort of credence. It's best left to those who are knowledgable enough. So my critiscm isn't for most Muslims' lack of effort on this, but their lack of effort in seeking knowledge. I'm sorry if you misunderstood me.

Oh I see :o well in that case yes I guess we are in agreement, lots of us ae lacking in knowledge and should be more active in pursuing it.

P.S. Don't be a n*****-hater now! TEEHEE

Now that is just encouragable...