Maniac Muslim Forums
Ishavemychesthair2

I'm Doing My Inconsequential Part For The Environment

As human beings continue to wreak havoc on the ecosystem, with seemingly no awareness of the long-term effects of our shortsighted actions, we seriously jeopardize the fragile balance of life on this big blue marble we call Spaceship Earth. Now is the time to take steps toward creating a cleaner environment, however insignificant and useless those steps may be. That's why I'm doing my own laughably inconsequential part to end pollution, limit damage to our precious ecosystem, and preserve what remains of our planet's biodiversity for future generations.

Every day, without fail, I meticulously organize my recyclables into five distinct categories, thereby subtracting an eyedropper's worth of garbage from the countless tons of waste that ferment in our landfills. It only takes a few extra minutes, but just think of the impact it totally lacks. I also refuse to use anything but "Earth-friendly" paper products—some of which contain up to 10 percent recycled materials. For me, it's worth shouldering the extra cost, but, unfortunately, only a scant few of us bother to do the same. And growing some of my own organic vegetables in my backyard garden also, to my immense gratification, reduces the use of toxic chemical-based pesticides and herbicides present in corporate farming techniques by as much as 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent.

These quixotic, Sisyphean efforts are my way of dealing with what is perhaps the most crucial and difficult issue of our time.

Why do I boycott multinational oil and gas corporations that fail to acknowledge and address global-warming issues, resulting in a few less dollars in their swollen coffers? Or participate in demonstrations against local wetland destruction that are attended by as many as a dozen people, before the wetland is eventually drained and cleared for a new Wal-Mart anyway? Why make the effort? Because I care. And I want these feelings to manifest themselves in barely measurable ways.

By using mass transit or riding my bike whenever possible, I may not be able to influence greenhouse-gas emissions standards or reduce mass global addiction to fossil fuels one iota. Nor, by slavishly collecting every banana peel or coffee ground to make my own rich garden compost, will I alter our consumer culture's pathological tendency to devour everything it encounters at an exponentially advancing rate. Restricting my household energy use to non-peak hours does not make me capable of reversing temperature changes in the gulf stream that even now have begun to throw the world's climate out of equilibrium. The question, however, is not "What can't I do?" but rather, "What can I do?"

The answer: next to nothing.

At the very least, I know with absolute certainty that I have done everything I can to nurture and protect the environment, through genuinely well-intentioned albeit minuscule actions, tragically destined to have absolutely no substantive effect. For I sleep better at night knowing that I have as much influence on global environmental policy as I would had I never been born.

Conservation is more urgent than ever. Scientists inform us that the combined effects of fossil-fuel consumption, land clearance, and overfishing the planet's seas have already ushered in a period of "mass global extinction," the sixth so far recorded in Earth's history, and the only one to be entirely man-made. In the next century, between two-thirds and three-fourths of all plant and animal species now in existence could become permanently extinct. But by carefully conserving water with the specially designed low-impact toilet I had installed, I can take comfort in the knowledge that I did what I could do to delay this inevitable global death-age by as many as several nanoseconds.

Won't you join me in this ongoing effort to foster an imperceptible improvement to this doomed and dying planet? You'll be rewarded with the knowledge that, despite the irreversible effects of centuries of sustained environmental abuse by the human race, individuals, working together, can fight this inevitability in a real, concrete, tiny, and totally ineffective show of unity.

Together, we can make an unbelievably negligible difference.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/48223

I'm Doing My Inconsequential Part For The Environment, I'm boycotting breathing for example, to decrease CO2 emissions

:lol: I choked on my Iron pill when I read that

I bet I won't even find it that funny tomorrow.

This kaffir has no meaning to his life.

Why then do you think his actions will have any real meaning?

Do it for Allah and your actions are meant for something Greater.

Kullu shayin halekun illa wahahu

“Everything will perish, save His Face.” (The Quran 28:88)

Who are we referring to as a kaafir again? :lol:

But I do agree with you when you say that our actions are meant for Allah SWT.

Why is it that some of us Muslims often forget this? There is a hadith of our beloved Rasulallah SAWS in which he said "If the day of judgement is signaled while you were about to plant a tree, do not stop. Plant it."

I'm sure the article was very witty and funny. But to quote another famous man, Voltaire (albeit not as famous as our beloved Nabi SAWS), "A witty saying proves nothing."

Although this article is amusing at some points, can it be used as a factual reference? Can we take it seriously and say "Look at those global-warming-nuts! Like they will ever make a difference!" I think not.

It's understandable that one human being attempting to be more Earth-friendly is not going to make much difference. But I was recently watching an interview with Mark Lynas on C-Span, in which he also agreed that just one person won't make a difference, we have to collectively attempt to be more Earth-friendly, and we need to elect politicians who will push for more regulations on CO2 emissions.

But as Muslims, we shouldn't even be concerned about the results as much. In fact, shouldn't Muslims be at the forefront of attempting to solve this problem of Global Warming?

Here's an interesting site:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/environment.html

If you look in the bottom left corner, you will be able to download the international emissions date for the entire world. Is it such a surprise that US produces the most? Nearly 7 TRILLION tons of CO2 each year?! China is also up there, as is India. But compare that to other countries. How do these other countries manage to keep lower emissions whereas the US, China, and India are so high?

Yes, sarcasm is indeed very amusing. To be honest though, how much use is it in the face of such colossal crises? And it really IS a crisis, do we agree?

WalMart is the biggest retailer in America and has 60,000 suppliers worldwide. They are now doing their part in global warming by working on energy efficiency. That is an enormous move. Biggest retailer in America. 60,000 global suppliers. This is a big deal.

BP is the third biggest energy company in the world. And they have cut down their carbon dioxide emissions in their own operations by 10% They have put billions of dollars into renewable energy and they are "leading the charge" of many other like-minded companies doing the same thing.

Australia had a change of govt last year. The new govt has now ratified Kyoto. The US is the only country in the world now that has declined to ratify.

The point is: people like the author of this article are being left behind. They seek some comfort in the thought that they are part of the idle majority. But they are deluded. The "idle majority" is slipping away. Government, corporations and individuals are taking action, on daily basis, at the grass roots level.

If you want to be a fat lazy slob then more power to you. But know that your position is fast being left out in the cold. And don't try to water down the action of others.

And maybe write us all a thank you letter.

OK someone blew my dream today of buying the Toyota Prius. They told me that even if I do buy one, to be environmentally friendly, overall, Im not reducing anything because the electricity needed in the car, was given by coal anyway, which emits fossil fuels into the ozone.

Can some some smart and whippy person refute this so I can dream to buy the prius again? :(

A kaffir is a kaffir.

If you got a problem with me using the word "kaffir" than surely you must have a problem with Allah using it too.

So just for the helluvit,

kaffir!

kaffir!

kaffir!

:D

I don't think non muslims have no purpose in life. What kind of backwards statement is that?

Whoa, DI, you know I agree with you on most of these things, but one think I do not agree with is throwing the K word around.

you don't convonce people by saying that if you don't agree with you they are going to hell. Ishave, I'd apologize on DI's behalf, but untill he actually does, I'll at least say you don't deserve that, or anyone who refuses to serve the environment for god. cause personally that's what the MM environment and social movements are about. personally i've always thought and started threads as a spiritual connection to the things around us.

with imams telling us to stay away from the material traps in this dunya etc etc, we sometimes do ignore it. I know I did. but when we have facts of the here and now to back up what is said in those khutbahs, like, don't buy that gas guzzler luxury SUV, it's not only because it's material obsession, but because it's also bad for everything around it. that knowledge was way ahead of it's time, personally, I've just been trying show that it had a practical application too.

khy,

OK someone blew my dream today of buying the Toyota Prius. They told me that even if I do buy one, to be environmentally friendly, overall, Im not reducing anything because the electricity needed in the car, was given by coal anyway, which emits fossil fuels into the ozone.

Can some some smart and whippy person refute this so I can dream to buy the prius again? :(

The guy who said that absolutely have no idea how prius works. (Neither did you, apparently)

Prius doesn't get its electricity from an external outlet. Rather it makes it from means which usually go to waste in other regular cars. e.g., When you are travelling at 60mph and you need to break, all that kinetic energy goes to waste. Prius technology stores that as elctric energy in its cells. Thats just one aspect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius#Technology

The Prius is marketing hype. Infact, the batteries it uses are toxic and cannot be recycled. The process of production that the prius passes makes it more damaging to the enviroment than a Hummer ( aha, with a big gas guzzling V8!!! ).

Conclusion : Dont buy a Prius.

Infact, a BMW 123d emits less C02 than the Prius, gets mileage just as good if not better, and is faster.

Nope, not all batteries are, some are recyclable. Im not sure but I think Li ion batteries can be recycled.....

Buy a hummer :P

So what is wrong about using the word kaffir?

I was not calling Ishavemychest a kaffir--I was calling the kaffir who wrote that article in the onion a kaffir.

And that was before I realized it was nothing but sarcastic humor, hence the deleted post. :)

Vat is problem? Why so tense yaar?