Maniac Muslim Forums
S...

College?

what i want to do, what i can do, what i should do?

I would say want, then should, then can. What does each option represent? I'm guessing you're undecided about majors?

Sumaiya, I can just tell you right now. You are making the same mistake a lot of people make. You're thinking way too much. Just WRITE whatever YOU want. That is the best way. As dumb advice as that sounds...tah-rust me.

My tentative plan is to major in poli sci and do pre-med. But I might change to pre-law, or something else entirely.

Is there enough time to do the requirements, even if i switch in my second year? Which years are the premed and prelaw courses generally taken?

What exactly is a pre-med program? I mean, if a school doesn't have one, doesn't it still have the courses you need? And can't you take the required classes on your own anyway?

Is there enough time to do the requirements, even if i switch in my second year?

Plenty

Which years are the premed

Bio, Chem, Orgo, Physics, Math above calculus, Humanities

three of those I'm racking up APs for, organic is prolly year 2 or end of year 1

humanities, you'll prolly have a general edu req that is humanities, so no problem there

and prelaw courses generally taken?

no such thing

What exactly is a pre-med program? I mean, if a school doesn't have one, doesn't it still have the courses you need?

Set of classes you need

go look at Harvard Medical School admissions

And can't you take the required classes on your own anyway?

of course.

i dont know any university that has a "premed" program

a lot of schools/colleges/universities/whateveryouwannacallit have pre-med programs. these 'programs' just give you a better chance in getting into med school (at the college that you do undergrad... if it has a med school).

Every major university has a "premed program." There's nothing formal to it, though. The "program" is basically a group of counselors, usually affiliated with the biology department, that help undergrads get into med school. They'll organize small, extra-academic seminars about getting together letters of recommendations, what kind of extracurricular activities make an application strong, how to write a personal statement, etc. There is no such thing as a premed major. Anyone that tells you otherwise is retarded. Med school, like dental school, like pharmacy school, like law school, like clown college, has it's set of requirements. You can't get into med school without having completed those requirements. A person working on those requirements, regardless of their major, is considered premed. Khalas. Why is that so hard to understand?

Thank you.

So pretty much every uni has the courses that medical schools require, and I can go anywhere and do any major and still theoretically get into med school InshaAllah?

I've been told undergrad research experience is really important to get into med school, and it's hard to get that with a poli sci focus, or at certain non-research oriented unis (like McKenna). Is that true?

What does a high acceptance rate say about a uni? (all the high-ranked ones have low acceptance rates. but what makes that a good thing?)

Also is it easy to live an Islamic life on campus? First of all there's the mahram rule, if I go too far. Also most of the MSA's I've looked at seem so liberal/progressive, and all the Muslims I know who live at college aren't that practicing, at least outwardly (missing prayers, eating haram, lots of free mixing), so is it really hard to follow those things?

hey does anyone living in pak know how good Agha Khan Uni is for medicine? if not, what unis are?

i know someone who goes to rawalpindi. (i think that's what it's called...)

Gotta apply for college this year.

THIS YEAR! :|

I really shouldn't have such high expectations because it's just not realistic, but I really wanna go Grammar. :S