Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mufasa

Make Du'a for my Parents Yo!

You don't need a response when you tell people this stuff. You don't gauge your actions based on whether or not your father smiles or frowns.

It needs to be said and be done with. You can't afford to be hiding your salaat anymore, it's just not practical let alone helpful.

Some things can be hidden, but some things should not be.

I'd be kicked out of my school, my relatives would turn their back to me, and I cannot even say how my parents would react, because so far, they've had very little reaction, but not in a "oh they respect it!" way...

Those disadvantages you mentioned are nothing compared to the rewards you will get in the afterlife. So don’t worry if that happens.

Being oppressed by others for the cause of Islam will enable you to gain Allah’s pleasure and rewards, and that’s what matters the most.

pff. Easier said than done akhi. Look, I've been trying since I was 15 or so to tell my parents. I've made many attempts, and now, by age 17, I still have not opened up to them. But it's not because I have not wanted to tell them. Finally, when I was able to tell them, it was like talking to a wall. If you don't get a response, you kind of just stop where you left off. Like, I told them I believe Islam, and my dad had almost no response. So I just left it at that...it's difficult to talk when there is no two-way conversation. And it just seems too impossible to tell them now...I can't explain it. It would just throw off the entire balance of my whole family. Insha'Allah, next year, when I go away for college or something like that, I will tell them the extent of my religion.

As far as feeling content doing all of this stuff without my parents knowledge, OF COARSE I do not wish it to be like this. Every time I read a story of a martyr in Islamic history who died for saying "la ilaha il allah!" I feel like such a coward. But I know that Allah (swt) knows what is in my heart. In the end, that is what matters the most. I've consulted many scholars about this, and I know what hiding my faith entails and how it is looked at by Islam. But my whole life, I have been raised Jewish. I even still go to a Jewish school, and, it would just create chaos if all the sudden I came out as a religious Muslim. I'd be kicked out of my school, my relatives would turn their back to me, and I cannot even say how my parents would react, because so far, they've had very little reaction, but not in a "oh they respect it!" way...

You are in a dificult situation and you still have faith and courage and continue to do what many born Muslims don't do. I remember you said somewhere that you close the door and pray in your room. I think with all your backround, family and so many more complications you just continuing the way it is and praying and doing the obligatory things is itself great. You are by no means a coward. You can make so many excuses to avoid the thing you do for Allah now yet with great difficulty you continue to do them. You're coming on forums like this itself is great dawah and inspiring for all of us. You know best the situation you face. May Allah strengthen you're emaan and help you take the best course.

Firstly, I would just like to say how wonderful it is that they are reading and getting to know Islam a little bit, and it's a good start, insha'Allah. I'll keep them in my doah. And on your part, you make extra effort to show them and tell them more about Islam. By that you'll hopefully keep their interest going too.

Secondly, someone said you shouldn't be afraid to tell your parents, well, I don't think you should tell them until they've gotten to know a bit more about Islam. You don't want your parents to freak out. I mean you can lose your entire family, but you wouldn't want to lose your parents. And whilst both Spider and extempers made good points, you're still young and you still need your parents. As long as you're making the effort to pray and do what's neccessary, for now, let your parents get used to you being a Muslim first.

:)

I guess it would be better that they show a bit more understanding for Islam and its teachings. After that, Musa would be in a much better situation to let his parents know of his beliefs...

Aww Musa, I know you'll nearly be 18 and all but seriously you are so cute! :wub:

Your plea felt very heartfelt and I really have hope for your parents. It really starts with simple steps like this and things will progress inshAllah!

I will make dua for you and remember that living by example is the best dawah of all :D

awww ain't this thread cute. Just a bit of advice bro. you are going to have to pray out in the open before they convert insh'allah.

pff. Easier said than done akhi. Look, I've been trying since I was 15 or so to tell my parents. I've made many attempts, and now, by age 17, I still have not opened up to them.

You became Muslim when you were only 15??? Mashallah!!! Don't call yourself a coward, I'm sure not many people could have taken such a huge step when they were 15.

And may Allah guide your parents, Ameen.

Bro, your parents are totally in my dua's inshaAllah!

Ameen to all the dua's here. May Allah swt bring their hearts to the truth, and make their eyes see, and make their souls believe in it.

Musa you really are an inspiration to us all. I can sort of understand your predicament with not telling our parents. I know a teenager from my neighbourhood that hangs around with the Muslim kids, and he got interested in Islam when he was about 11. His family doesn't like the idea, so he's been learning about Islam on the sly. He's so keen on it, he's just waiting to finish school so he can be on his own and convert properly. He's only 13 now so it might be a while, unless he converts without his family knowing :/

I'll keep you and your parents in my duas :)