rstlne

Debit or Credit?

Debit or Credit?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is more the rock?!

• Debit
    • Credit

I'm for debit!

Except that if you wanna buy stuff online, then you need a credit card. :thumbdown: Pooey.

I usually use Visa Debit to buy stuff online. I think they got like Mastercard Debit too.

I don't get it? What are you asking to debit/credit? Is this an accounting question? I would much rather debit cash then credit it, if that is what you mean.

LOOOOOOOL best post in this thread so far.

i prefer to use cash for shopping :D

mumz always telling me to order my credit card from bank...but i try to avoid it as i know once i get my hands on one, ill go shopping mad!

Credit cards are good for online/emergency buying...but lots of interest involved :(

Debit's the way to go!

I always used to think debit card, but using a credit card is a LOT safer in making purchases because they carry much better protection against unauthorised use, defective goods, undelivered goods etc. I've been a victim of unauthorised use of my credit card and I managed to resolve the problem immediately. If it was my debit card then it wouldn't have been so straighforward.

Of course, it would only be the better option if you manage to pay back the credit card within the interest free period. Most UK bank issued credit cards have a 56 days interest free period anyway.

I always used to think debit card, but using a credit card is a LOT safer in making purchases because they carry much better protection against unauthorised use, defective goods, undelivered goods etc. I've been a victim of unauthorised use of my credit card and I managed to resolve the problem immediately. If it was my debit card then it wouldn't have been so straighforward.

+1. Credit Cards are way more secure. If you use a debit card, once the transaction is done, the money is gone. But w/ a credit card, if you had to pre-pay something, and you never received it you can go back on the transaction. With debit, if somebody gets your card or pin, you are screwed cause there is no way to get the money back. W/ credit card, if they get my card, the company keeps track of my transactions and if 1 is out of line, the put a hold on the card. The last thing you want is to go to the back, and your debit account has been cleaned out.

And finally, the biggest reason to use a credit card is to build up your credit history. Eventually you will need a loan. Money doesn't grow on trees. If its a new car, or house, or even a wedding, they will look at your credit right away, and if you use debit, you will have none.

Now, you say you will over spend w/ a credit card? Well, if you financial management is that bad, that you don't know how much money you have and can spend, then you should just stick to cash.

^It's not just the over-spending, it's the insane amount of interest on it which is the problem.

Credit cards are basically a deception technique...making you think you are saving up on the cash by spending credit, when in fact you're going deeper and deeper into interest that you'll be paying off for a long time to come.

And as for loans, if it's possible, take it from a friend/relative so that there won't be interest involved again.

^It's not just the over-spending, it's the insane amount of interest on it which is the problem.

Credit cards are basically a deception technique...making you think you are saving up on the cash by spending credit, when in fact you're going deeper and deeper into interest that you'll be paying off for a long time to come.

And as for loans, if it's possible, take it from a friend/relative so that there won't be interest involved again.

interest is not a problem if you pay it off at the end of the month. if you cant pay it off at the end of the month, then you are over-spending.

also, it would be awesome to know people who have 30g kicking around doing nothing :P

I voted debit but I tend to use my Barclaycard now because it's more secure when you have an issue with the retailer, you don't have to sort much out yourself, Barclaycard do it for me, yaay!

I picked debit, but personally neither, this is just another way to get ppl more intertwined in this capitalist concept of "profit motive" and screw our imaan over.