Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Khy82

Muslim Writers

ok, what makes a Muslim writer? is it the religon of the writer? is it the subject matter? the place he or she was born? the boringness of the story? the amount of east vs. west bullsh** subtext most of them carry? jew bashing? let me know because I want to be an author, and I am muslim be default.

khy,

ps. yes "boringness". eat me:P

For a start, I think you'd have to demonstrate better grammar. Lol.

Anyways, I don't think it has anything to do with content, more like the religion of the writer itself, because I'm pretty sure there are many authors out there who wrote on Islamic topics aren't Muslims.

DI, Napoleon pretty much said that Tupac wasn't a muslim.

And giraffe! is disagree with your argument about subject matter. If we look at politicians as an extreme example, a politician who is muslim is a muslim politician irrespective of the laws he or she is pushing. Mainly due to the fact that when (s)he works, his/her work is influenced by religion, to some extent. Thats where the muslim part comes into it.

Now there is an issue of recognition. A secular Turkish politician will not really be recognized as a "muslim politician" by the people, but technically he or she will still be one.

The same principal with writers, irrespective if they write about the deen, they will be influenced by religion in some aspect, even if they are writing about another religion.

Speaking more broadly if we divide the world into a "sacred" and "secular" zones, we will get tons of issues. For example, if we follow the practice of calling only theologically deen related things as "muslim" then what it will lead to is a form of exclusivity. "Muslim" doesn't (ideally) end after you walk out of the masjid or fiqh lecture.

what about fiction involving muslim characters who make reference to their religion? what if they are poor examples of that religion? what if they believe and exhibit actions that they know are 'unislamic'? where does the writer stand, where does the character stand?

By the end of the day, it's just fiction. Muslim or non-muslims writers are just the same. It's like asking about politicians, by the end of the day, they're all the same regardless what's their religion. What makes it truly different is whether you are talented in what are you doing or not.

sad to say that's not always the case. I have people come in the book store looking for 'black authors', 'jew writers', 'christian authors' som have the audacity to ask for respective sections. who a writer is (just like a politician) and their personal beliefs, points of origin, community, and expereince influences the way people write and read. sad fact, but it's how it goes. if stories could make it on their own the authors name wouldn't be in big letters on the front covers.

khy,

I agree with you to an extent. You can't compare yourself with authors like J.K Rowling or Stephen King. These people were established and they started writing ages ago so people know how good they are, therefore it isn't unusual for someone to go to the bookstore and ask for books written by these people. Credibility is the way to go :)

muslim writer tend to be those who write about islam coz it sells. i said tend. dont hate.