Maniac Muslim Forums
locust

Journey To Mecca - In the Footsteps of Ibn Battuta

JOURNEY TO MECCA - IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF IBN BATTUTA - An IMAX experience, 2009.

.\data\images\1754\JourneyToMeccaPoster01_250px.jpg

Journey to Mecca is an IMAX® dramatic and documentary feature, filmed in Saudi Arabia and Morocco in both English and Arabic, with background Berber. The film tells the amazing story of Ibn Battuta, the greatest explorer of the Old World, following his first pilgrimage between 1325 and 1326 from Tangier to Mecca. His perilous journey resonates with adventure while presenting an unforgettable picture of Islamic civilization during the 14th century, culminating with Battuta’s first Hajj. The story is book-ended by a close-up look at the contemporary Hajj, a pilgrimage to Mecca that draws three million Muslims from around the world every year who perform rituals that have taken place for over 1,400 years.[/color]

Journey to Mecca incorporates the following cinematic milestones:

•  
  • First IMAX film on Islamic culture both historical and modern
  • First dramatic documentary filmed simultaneously in English and Arabic and using actors.
  • First IMAX film on one of the greatest travelers and explorers of all time, Ibn Battuta who travelled three times farther than Marco Polo. He was 21 years old when he left his law career and home in Morocco in 1325 as a pilgrim to perform his first Hajj. He would not reach Mecca for a year and a half. Risking his life, he travelled to 44 countries and did not return home for nearly 30 years. He transcribed his journeys in a famous travel book called The Rihla which is housed in the National Public Library in Paris. There is a crater on the moon named in his honour.
  • First and only film granted ground and aerial access in Mecca to the Holy Mosque and Ka'bah by King Abdullah
  • Over 3 million pilgrims attended the 2007 Hajj
  • First IMAX film explaining the history of the Hajj and the rituals based on the trials and tribulations of Abraham, father to Christians, Jews and Muslims.
  • Film crew from over 24 countries.
  • First ever replication of 14th century Ka'bah.
  • Longest camel and animal caravan ever assembled.
  • World Premiere in Abu Dhabi on January 7th, 2009 presented on the largest outdoor film screen ever assembled (70' by 100').

More info: http://www.journeytomeccagiantscreen.com/index.php

Here is the trailer.

It's playing in Saudi Arabia so it must be a well researched {and credible} documentary.

Any lucky viewers? How was the experience? I certainly cannot wait for it to be playing here! DEFINITELY check it out in the theaters near you. Insha Allah.

No. You're confusing this with the BBC's old documentary "Journey of Ibn Battuta," which plays on TV.

This is a recently released MOVIE documentary (45 mins, released at the beginning of January of this year), and is only being shown on certain IMAX theaters across the world right now, so it can gain enough popularity to become a commercial success to be shown in many IMAX theatres later this year (God willing).

There's a lot more info on the website, includes the selected theaters: http://www.journeytomeccagiantscreen.com/index.php

This sounds like a great documentary to me. Has a lot of good reviews too. I'll check it out, insha'Allah.

Here are some interesting facts that I read about this movie: http://www.journeytomeccagiantscreen.com/firsts.php

And there's even a crater on the moon which is named in honor of Ibn Battuta (which I learned from the link above). Awesome.

^No problem.

Here is the trailer (I can't believe I forgot to post it).

Behind the scenes:

It looks spectacular. I hope, in sha Allah that it serves its intended purpose, which is to educate the general public about Hajj and clear up any misconceptions about Islam. This is a wonderful tool and I'm glad that it's gaining popularity across the globe.

I just got tickets to go see this. I will have to miss a little bit of RIS but it should be awesome.

If you live close to a theater you should go out and watch it! Support fellow muslims. As you know, only muslims are allowed in mecca, and I believe this is the first film authorized by the Saudi gov't.

I am pretty excited to go see it.

I saw this recently at Imax Sydney. It was absolutely beautiful. I hope they make a film about his whole life.

I have heard the main actor who plays ibn battuta in this film passed away before the release of the film. :( Inna lilahi wa inna ilayhi rajiun.

"Journey to Mecca is an IMAX® dramatic and documentary feature that tells the amazing story of Ibn Battuta, the greatest explorer of the Old World, following his first pilgrimage between 1325 and 1326 from Tangier to Mecca.

His perilous journey resonates with adventure while presenting an unforgettable picture of Islamic civilization during the 14th century, culminating with Ibn Battuta's first Hajj. The story is book-ended by a close-up look at the contemporary Hajj, a pilgrimage to Mecca that draws three million Muslims from around the world."

http://www.journeytomeccagiantscreen.com/index.php

This looks terrific!

I love the fact that that isn't just a film made by Muslim film makers, but in fact it's been steered by Western non-Muslim film makers. Due to the restrictions placed on non-muslims from entering the region, they had to train Muslim film makers from all over the globe so that they could go in and film live footage for the film :)

Mazakali, we had another topic about this documentary. I know it's not your fault though. So, I merged your topic with this thread. =)

Oh sorry

I thought it was new-sh, didn't realise there was already an existing thread made :)