Maniac Muslim Forums
Sana~

Capitalism- a love story

I see Moore fans here.

Kweschun: Isn't Moore sort of the opposite extreme? He's against Conservatism, which in the US is now nearly synonymous with racism, sure, but Moore is still on the extreme side nonetheless? No?

I see Moore fans here.

Kweschun: Isn't Moore sort of the opposite extreme? He's against Conservatism, which in the US is now nearly synonymous with racism, sure, but Moore is still on the extreme side nonetheless? No?

It took me forever to understand 'kweschun' lol.

I think that Moore has a sizable following with his films and books, and it doesn't just stem from his views, but his style of investigative journalism.

I don't know where Moore lies on the scales of extremism, but as a leftist myself I don't really see him as extreme. The subjectivity of what extreme is!

Hmmm... Interesting.

Personally I feel uncomfortable with Muslims aligning themself with "the left" or "the right". Each side has values that don't fit well with Islam.

It's actually strange, my brother tends to lean right because they generally take a stronger stance against homosexuality and drugs. I guess it depends on what people focus on more.

About Michael Moore however, it's kind of like liberals criticizing conservative sources, but then the conservatives criticizing liberal sources. That's why I kind of take Moore to be on the extreme side, because it's not a source that people can agree on. Whether he's right or wrong in his documentaries is a different story, the plain truth is that he can't be considered mainstream so why would I ever use him as a source?

And I admit this creates a dilemma which I have trouble thinking my way out of, especially when dealing with parties on either the left or right. It's just confusing. But I definitely don't think it helps for me to join in on either side of the flame-fest. I'm a Muslim so I think from the Muslim perspective, not from the liberal of conservative perspective. You won't convince a conservative that you are right if you identify yourself as a liberal, because that's just the nature of this whole liberal versus conservative thingy. And honestly this bipartisan system is another trick spun up by the media to keep people stupid. I remember Noam Chomsky talking about it, saying that the media presents viewers with these two choices, it tells you what are the "valid" opinions to have, and you have to pick one of them. Just take a look at how the media would treat people like Ron Paul or Mike Gravel who take a very different stance on politics (one which I think is more correct). American Journalism at its best.

Sigh. :(

Allah guide us. Aameen.

I like Moore, but I don't love him. :(

Who's seen Sicko?

While I agreed with the whole health-insurance thing in the U.S is messed and cruel (...err NHS ZINDABAAD!), the way he portrayed other countries in the light of free health care however, I found biased.

I know not all is nice (free?) and dandy in countries like the U.K and France (etc..) since I'm living in one of the countries. But I only thought his work as biased because I'm British and I could see contradictions with the reality over here against his happy image of British health care. Not saying he got it completely wrong (totally prefer the NHS from the American system!), but a lot of emotionalism was used? Which, I suppose, is typical for a film.

If I wasn't British and not having seen or being aware of the inevitable problems with a 'free health care' system, I probably woulda succumbed to holding the same view as the one emitted from the film.

so yah, I like his films. But I wouldn't rely on them for an accurate and reliable picture.

What did people think of Fahrenheit?

It took me forever to understand 'kweschun' lol.

I think that Moore has a sizable following with his films and books, and it doesn't just stem from his views, but his style of investigative journalism.

I don't know where Moore lies on the scales of extremism, but as a leftist myself I don't really see him as extreme. The subjectivity of what extreme is!

Don't forget Michael Moore is an Atheist. Thank god for that.

I like Moore, but I don't love him. :(

Who's seen Sicko?

While I agreed with the whole health-insurance thing in the U.S is messed and cruel (...err NHS ZINDABAAD!), the way he portrayed other countries in the light of free health care however, I found biased.

I know not all is nice (free?) and dandy in countries like the U.K and France (etc..) since I'm living in one of the countries. But I only thought his work as biased because I'm British and I could see contradictions with the reality over here against his happy image of British health care. Not saying he got it completely wrong (totally prefer the NHS from the American system!), but a lot of emotionalism was used? Which, I suppose, is typical for a film.

If I wasn't British and not having seen or being aware of the inevitable problems with a 'free health care' system, I probably woulda succumbed to holding the same view as the one emitted from the film.

so yah, I like his films. But I wouldn't rely on them for an accurate and reliable picture.

Remember Michael Moore is an Atheist.

[Edit: Inflammatory and making takfir. See guidelines.]

^No one can say that aside from Allah (Swt). We are not his judge! And that means nothing. We are able to support and work with non-Muslims. There is proof of this in the life of Muhammed (saws).

I don't get it

what's this guy going on about?

^

Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story explores a taboo question: What is the price that America pays for its love of capitalism? Years ago, that love seemed so innocent. Today, however, the American dream is looking more like a nightmare as families pay the price with their jobs, their homes and their savings. Moore takes us into the homes of ordinary people whose lives have been turned upside down; and he goes looking for explanations in Washington, DC and elsewhere. What he finds are the all-too-familiar symptoms of a love affair gone astray: lies, abuse, betrayal...and 14,000 jobs being lost every day.