Maniac Muslim Forums
theenglishhumza

Sheikh Roald Dahl

Nah, kindles are ok, but I still prefer paper versions.

My fave was Charlie and the Chocolate factory and Matilda. I loved the films aswell.

Same here :D I wish I was Matilda.

Fantastic Mr Fox was the first Dahl book I ever read and its still my favourite. Even though it is about a thieving fox -_-

Lol, okay. I was confused there for a bit.

Kindles are good in the sense that you can get any book you want and not have to worry about shelf space. But there are certain books that you just have to own hard copies off. But I also have this issue with not liking to read things of a screen for too long and thats why I prefer books.

That's my problem with them too. At least with a book it hasn't got a bright light that annoys you after a bit. I can't even use a booklight for long before it starts annoying me.

That's my problem with them too. At least with a book it hasn't got a bright light that annoys you after a bit. I can't even use a booklight for long before it starts annoying me.

Are you kidding! Have you ever read off a Kindle? There is no backlight at all- it's all grey-screen and the text is static (no battery!) until you click 'next page' where the energy only comes on to transfer the next page. It's so much more eye-friendly than a lot of printed literature nowadays. And you don't have to wrestle with it like you do with bending bigger paperbacks backwards and forwards.

What's also great about it is that you can get any PDFs on it, subscribe to newspapers, magazines and journals and have it all on a super-light device. I've got the entire (unabridged) Tafseer of Ibn Kathir on there which- if in real book form- would take up about 3 shelves worth of space in my already tiny flat!

Do you guys remember Danny Champion of the World?

I loved the Twits too- and Fantastic Mr Fox....oh and George's Marvellous Medicine and the BFG and James and the Giant Peace...and......the list is really endless.

Guest Fufu-Xiawoun

I loved BFG, I used to wish that I could have a friend as cool as him. :ph34r:

:o Ive never read this one.

GO READ IT NOW!!!!!!

I loved George's Marvellous Medicine. At the time that I read it we had cupboards full of my grandparents medication and then we decided to clean it out. There was so much it filled almost TWO 25l buckets. My brother (who is six years older than I and was a teenager at the time) and I had this insane idea to start brewing it all to see if we could get close to George's concoction. Alas, our plan was foiled -_-

I loved the Twits too- and Fantastic Mr Fox....oh and George's Marvellous Medicine and the BFG and James and the Giant Peace...and......the list is really endless.

It's James and the Giant Peach

I love Roald Dahl!!!! He contributed a lot to my awesome childhood :wub:

GO READ IT NOW!!!!!!

I loved George's Marvellous Medicine. At the time that I read it we had cupboards full of my grandparents medication and then we decided to clean it out. There was so much it filled almost TWO 25l buckets. My brother (who is six years older than I and was a teenager at the time) and I had this insane idea to start brewing it all to see if we could get close to George's concoction. Alas, our plan was foiled -_-

Hah, I will once Ive finished LOTR :P

We used to have the teacher reading one in every year of school. We had Georges Marvellous Medicine, James and the Giant Peach, Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory READ to us while in primary school.

I love Danny the Champion of the World - beautiful book! I'm a little half-and-half on the Kindle thing; I don't have one, but I can definitely see how useful they are, and how environmentally friendly they are. Thinking of buying one. It will never replace the sheer pleasure of reading a physical book, but I think it would be good for work - keep papers on it, newspapers, books I feel I don't need to physically own, etc etc. Wonder if there's been any feasibility studies done on giving kids Kindles in schools rather than text books, especially in poorer countries. No need to spend money on shipping, less trees cut down for paper, easier to update to new editions of textbooks. Small school with no lockers can make sure kids aren't carrying tonnes of textbooks etc. And they the e-ink is really easy on the eyes too.