Maniac Muslim Forums
theenglishhumza

Sheikh Roald Dahl

Road Dahl was good. I liked James and the Giant Peach, Fantastic Mr Fox, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and many more...

His stories were always a bit weird and the humour seemed a little dark, so for that reason it was a bit more thrilling and scary to read his books. it was interesting!

They don't make em like this anymore..

Edit: To m'Lady M:

I love Danny the Champion of the World - beautiful book! I'm a little half-and-half on the Kindle thing; I don't have one, but I can definitely see how useful they are, and how environmentally friendly they are. Thinking of buying one. It will never replace the sheer pleasure of reading a physical book, but I think it would be good for work - keep papers on it, newspapers, books I feel I don't need to physically own, etc etc. Wonder if there's been any feasibility studies done on giving kids Kindles in schools rather than text books, especially in poorer countries. No need to spend money on shipping, less trees cut down for paper, easier to update to new editions of textbooks. Small school with no lockers can make sure kids aren't carrying tonnes of textbooks etc. And they the e-ink is really easy on the eyes too.

Yes Kindles do have a novelty attached to them which kids would readily embrace but after that initial 'oooh shiny!' has been gotten over, the true convenience of it can be enjoyed. At the moment, whether I want to read a quick bit of fiction, some heavy religious texts or The Economist- I can just reach for one device and I know it's all there waiting. Also, I share mine so there are tons of web developing textbooks (those things are very heavy and cumbersome to have physically) which Mr Z reads from. The newer versions come with increased features- mine is the very first model and so is not touch screen etc. But that's partly what I like about it- aesthetically it is nothing much to look at (AT ALL)- but it's practical beyond derision!

Plus, there's an excellent website I think r-d recommended to me that had a treasure trove of books whose copyrights had expired in the last 20 years so were free for download. There's all sorts of gems like Aesop's Fables and the back catalogue of The Brothers Grimm stories, which - if it wasn't for the Kindle - I wouldn't have been able to revisit and coo at.

Now I'm sounding uncomfortably like a Kindle spokeslaydee so I self-gag myself!

(Oooh but for a good lady like yourself who likes dining and reading simultaneously, it is actually so much more convenient with no real-life page turns and the featherweight!)

Hah, I will once Ive finished LOTR :P

We used to have the teacher reading one in every year of school. We had Georges Marvellous Medicine, James and the Giant Peach, Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory READ to us while in primary school.

You went to one awesome school :wow:

They never read us stuphph :( Or gave us anything interesting to read either :(

(Oooh but for a good lady like yourself who likes dining and reading simultaneously, it is actually so much more convenient with no real-life page turns and the featherweight!)

OH MY GOSH YES! I could finally do read and dine out without looking like a posey pseud! You. Are. A. Genius. Never even occured to me. It's weird how it's more acceptable to play on your phone for hours, but reading a book can be seen as odd, and this by passes the problem neatly!

Do you know what a typo is Veno? :rolleyes:

Yes dear, but the 'h' and the 'e' are so far apart on the keyboard, I honestly thought you thought it was Peace.

Two types of typos - one of hitting the nearby wrong key, and then there's the kind where you type in another word entirely (maybe because you're more used to typing it in, or because you were hearing/thinking of it at the time).

^I know, but it just didn't cross my mind...she mentioned the other books correctly so I seriously thought she thought it was Peace.

Yes dear, but the 'h' and the 'e' are so far apart on the keyboard, I honestly thought you thought it was Peace.

This:

Two types of typos - one of hitting the nearby wrong key, and then there's the kind where you type in another word entirely (maybe because you're more used to typing it in, or because you were hearing/thinking of it at the time).

Being such a free-loving hippy that I am, I am more used to writing 'Peace' than Peach- so it was an entire word typo, not a letter one.

MYSTERY SOLVED, we can all sleep soundly in our beds once again (unless Fufu is around.........)

OH MY GOSH YES! I could finally do read and dine out without looking like a posey pseud! You. Are. A. Genius. Never even occured to me. It's weird how it's more acceptable to play on your phone for hours, but reading a book can be seen as odd, and this by passes the problem neatly!

Mind you, I have never been able to read the Kindle even on the tube without feeling like a bit of a pretentious twat BUT I think that's my own paranoia and really- I should be more involved in judging other people right- since they're reading Terry Pratchett, Dan Brown and other types of dross. Oooh! Additional advantage of Kindle- no book cover- nobody can tell what you're reading so you can enjoy your Mills & Boon undisturbed by judgemental glances ;)

Yes, yes I am.

Pratchett is for people who can't read real books. Junk food instead of a home cooked meal. Soap operas instead of meaningful programming. And so on.

Roald Dahl actually has influenced the way I write my characters in all my stories.

Dahl was an expert and creating fascinating characters. He'd usually make the protagonist fairly ordinary an contrast that with surrounding characters who all had at least one extreme quality. This was done to exaggerate their weirdness.

(e.g., Charlie compared to the gluttonous Augustus Gloop, Charlie compared to the extremely-spoiled Veruca Salt, Matila compared to her insanely-crazy parents, Mr. Fox compared to Boggis, Bunce or Bean).

It's a pretty easy and effective way to write some funny characters.

Boggis and Bunce and Bean

One fat, one short, one lean

These horrible crooks

So different in looks

Were nonetheless equally mean.

Ohhhh I miss devouring books like a crazy person.

Just reread the Twits.

Rowling and Dahl shouldve gotten together..they would have produce some amazing fiction

Whhaaat? Dahl is in a different league to Dowling. He made up his own stories.

Ah, honestly, Roald Dahl was like a fourth parent in my childhood. I just loved all of his books and poems. And he had such an amazing life too.

Kindles are ok I suppose, I still prefer physical books, the smell, the thickness of them, the covers etc. Kindles just look weird, like youre staring at a wall or something lol. I dont usually see people in public with them though.

Yes, yes I am.

Pratchett is for people who can't read real books. Junk food instead of a home cooked meal. Soap operas instead of meaningful programming. And so on.

I have to fight you on this. Pratchett is a excellent satirist. He's got interesting material and you've got to read into what he's saying rather than take it at face value. And Death, he has the most awesomest characterisation of Death I have ever read. Classing him with Dan Brown is :no: Dan Brown is a writer who fails to create mystery and intrigue even with interesting subject matter. I pick up a Dan Brown book and I fall asleep after the first sentence. I pick up a Pratchett and I'm drawn into a quirky world with odd characters on odd quests and I am awake and laughing uncontrollably throughout all the misadventures.