Maniac Muslim Forums
theenglishhumza

Sheikh Roald Dahl

You don't defeat the ignorant- you can only defeat when you are on a level playing field- I genuinely had NO idea 'twat' was a swear word or that it meant what it did. Holy moly!

I understand why Zimi got confused.

Prat is preggers fish, twat is the other thing. i used to confuse the 2 before aswell lol.

Prat means something else. Like calling someone an idiot or a pompous arse. I never knew about the pregnant fish thing :hmm:

LOL yes! I saw that too. I am shocked! Shocked!

Also, bit harsh on Pratchett; I'm not really a fan of his books but I think that's largely because I didn't come to them early enough, can totally see why people who grew up on them would have a fondness for them. I've read two - the first of the Discworld series, and one about Death (he loses his job or something?) and I enjoyed them a lot - I thought they were fun and inventive too. Dan Brown on the other hand... *yawn*. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

YAY MOAR SISTERLY LOVE TO GO AROUND :wow::wub::wow::wub::wow:

The first time I picked up a Pratchett book, I was in high school, and admittedly I picked it up because its cover looked interesting (see Thief of Time). I started reading it and thought what the hell kind of hogwash is this? And after like a chapter of confusion, put is aside in favour of some detective novel I had on wait. Years later, I picked up another Pratchett in a book store at the mall I worked at, and since I had nothing to do on my lunch break, I decided to give it another shot and read it. I got hooked from that moment on. I've read almost all his books, though nothing in the last year or so cos I haven't had the pleasure of reading for entertainment.

haha pregnant fish, who didnt go to school now -_-

The one who thinks talking about children's books is what great critics of literature do?

NO shame in indulging in children's books (esp when so many are better written than books aimed at adults!)- I'm still a great lover of the 'On the Ning Nang Nong' collection of silly poems by Spike Milligan, that's very much in the Dahl spirit too!

Just wonder what kind of school education I missed out on (and Spud benefitted from) where they teach you the meaning of twat and prat.

I understand why Zimi got confused.

Prat is preggers fish, twat is the other thing. i used to confuse the 2 before aswell lol.

I thought a twit was a pregnant fish