Maniac Muslim Forums
Guest Sister Who

Mirpuri

Guest Sister Who

I can't believe no ones made a thread on this! :o

Our Mirpuri/Patwari/Jehlumi brothers and sisters make up a significant part of the Muslim Population of England. For that reason I want to learn their language, and coz it sounds so jokes...

Any mirpuris around here? Show yourself... you won't get cussed, I'll make sure of that :ph34r:

Guest Sister Who
Mirpuri can refer to

a person or people from the district of Mirpur in Azad Kashmir, which lies at the foothills of the Himalayas minor.

a term that was coined in the UK to refer to people hailing from the district of Mirpur. Note, maybe considered disparaging and offensive to some.

a dialect of the Potwari language spoken in the Mirpur district which shares features with Punjabi and Pahari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirpuri

:lol:

My daadi is Jhelumi and my daada was Mirpuri. I cannot understand most of what my daadi says to me lol. So if you find someone to teach you, lemme know :P so I can benefit too.

Guest Sister Who

^ lol, I don't understand it either. When my mates mum talks to me I just say "hunjii? ji aunti, hunji", when aunty ji's start talking to me on the streets, I just smile alot and pretend im shy and say same old "Ji, aunty ji" and go home and tell mum that Aunty X said something, so call her or something.

They often ask "tuseee kitha jaa ray oh" (where are you going) some woman asked my dad, my dad was like :blink:

I only made the thread so I can learn some funny phrases and confuse my brother who doesn't even understand urdu properly. :lol:

Does Jhelum come under Mirpur? I'm from Jhelum but we're not Mirpuri. We definitely don't talk Mirpuri style! I can understand it though, sort of, if the person isn't talking too fast.

^ lol, I don't understand it either. When my mates mum talks to me I just say "hunjii? ji aunti, hunji", when aunty ji's start talking to me on the streets, I just smile alot and pretend im shy and say same old "Ji, aunty ji" and go home and tell mum that Aunty X said something, so call her or something.

They often ask "tuseee kitha jaa ray oh" (where are you going) some woman asked my dad, my dad was like :blink:

I only made the thread so I can learn some funny phrases and confuse my brother who doesn't even understand urdu properly. :lol:

never heard of this language before, but it sounds kinda like punjabi....i guess because we don't have many people from mirpur in the states. i could be wrong :P

Guest Sister Who

Does Jhelum come under Mirpur? I'm from Jhelum but we're not Mirpuri. We definitely don't talk Mirpuri style! I can understand it though, sort of, if the person isn't talking too fast.

I think Jehlum is near Mirpur, which makes you a mirpuri :o

Okay heres the deal breaker, does anyone in your family watch DM Digital?

never heard of this language before, but it sounds kinda like punjabi....i guess because we don't have many people from mirpur in the states. i could be wrong :P

Yeah, coz all of them decided to be exported to my town instead -_-

Mirpuri can refer to

a person or people from the district of Mirpur in Azad Kashmir, which lies at the foothills of the Himalayas minor.

a term that was coined in the UK to refer to people hailing from the district of Mirpur. Note, maybe considered disparaging and offensive to some.

a dialect of the Potwari language spoken in the Mirpur district which shares features with Punjabi and Pahari.

No wonder...people at uni insist that they aren't Mirpuri when they are...weird.

Guest Sister Who

^ :lol:

I know! Thats why I made this thread, one friend of mine says "Im not from Mirpur, im from jehlum" :lol:

LOL! The ones I know are like...'We're Punjabi!'

So my Pakistani friend is like..'Yeah, you're Mirpuri.'

Them: 'Nooo, we're proper Punjabi not Mirpuri!'

I didn't get what the fuss was...but now I know, you must not say that someone looks Mirpuri or if someone is Mirpuri. Because they aren't. No one is Mirpuri :P

Guest Sister Who

Why would you want to label yourself with terms coined by the colonialists?

What you on bout bro? These labels are just funny man, its a way to differentiate between people, who speaks whats... whats the big deal? :ph34r:

I'm not a from there but it's considered an insult because people from that region are considered poor, uncultured simpletons. We learned about this in an immigration and identity module i covered about Muslims in Britain, and basically "apparently" Punjabi's are the rich, well spoken, well educated, artisans and high salary earners of the Pakistani and East African communities which immigrated here while Mirpuri's are the type of uhmm "people" you'd see in the derelict areas of Bradford.

Don't shoot the messenger. This is just what i learned.