Maniac Muslim Forums
Guest Sister Who

Mirpuri

What about Urdu speaking peeps from Karachi. Lol. My family always laughs at the fact that my dad is Mirpuri (it's a joke). I didn't realise that Mirpuris/Jhelumis were looked down on.. :|

I think it's in both MeM

Guest Sister Who

^ You're right, that is how it works, its like this :

Karachi/islamabad Urdu lot > Lahori Urdu lot > Punjabi Lahoris > Paindus/Mirpuris/Jehlumi

Its all really dumb and pathetic, I call myself a punjabi paindu just for the fun of it B)

Urdu people do tend to look down on the punjabi folk, but yunno with me its the other way round, I got my urdu mates speaking punjabi, they'd go home and their mum'd say "where did you learn that?" "Sadi taught it to me "

Awww yeaah!

B)

I'm just saying, from what I know it wasn't around before the British colonized India.

Oooh right, well i dunno, i don't think its that bad? Or is it?

Is vich/ne a Mirpuri word or also Punjabi?

I think both.

Resident Mirpuri here yo. -_-

We're the new Black. (H)

Ahem my people (my?) make up for most of the Birmingham's food industry so wurd upp!

I'm MP and I'm educated (still in the process) and I have high aspirations. BOOYAH!

(lolz)

and and Al-Jiddawwwiiii; even P-stan wasn't around until the British colonised India

Guest Sister Who

^ OMG! You're an MP! OH MY LORD! YOU ARE SO SPECIAL! :o

*rolls out red carpet for Mazakali+*

Miki Kharo Bham! Miki meet Mazakali inshAllah

lol I'm sure you knew?

The generation above me is pure Mirpuri therefore filtering out the background/s of the generation above them (mon grandparents and the likes) :P

My first daughter shall be named Mirpuri. *hmm*

Guest Sister Who

^ lol I always thought you was Tamil man, don't ask me why! :lol:

Maaan, I have one MP mate, I've known her since year 4, shes a jaan! Once we were talking about MPs and shes going on bout her MP relatives and my gori mate

Sarah goes: "Oh my God! you're related to an MP :wow: "

paki mate: yeaah man, loads of them

me: wait wait, not Member of Parliament man, its Mirpuri, a type of paki

Sarah: ohh :huh:

The Mirpuri identity was alien to me too until a few years back :P

and it's not uncommon to hear dialects deriving from Mirpuri in parts of the sub-continent outside Mirpur/Azad Kashmir. way outside Pakistan too.

My mum's uncles and aunties back in India all speak a dialect that's evolved from Mirpuri, since their forefathers lived in Azad Kashmir/Mirpur before the British Raj/Partition - obviously the fundamentals of it are still there, but their dialect has also been altered by their regional colloquial.

I heard a veteran Sikh dude burst out in Mirpuri last year! :o

(first time. Indeed there's Hindus and Aryans too...)

Guest Sister Who

^ wow, thats so cool man. We're all punjabis man, no bit of fancy culture anywhere. We go to Pakistan and don't leave our home for two years, actually we visited Hiran Minaar, and saw MinarePakistan as we were going past in a car, that is it.

You make your background so cool, apparently Mirpur is a very beautiful place, waterfalls and really nice greenery? Ima google!

I dunno, it seems like a big mix of this and that. It's not a proper defined culture because Mirpuris from 'the mountains over there' have their own traditions/cuisins and stuff, and the Mirpuris from 'across the bridge over there' also have different traditions :S

But I've only ever noticed that when I've actually been back home, because at home here, in B'ham it seems that the people from the same regions back home tend to live in the same areas over here too..so it's unlikely that you ever come across variation in Mirpuriness here in Britian (well at least that's what I've noticed)

Ahh I went there once when it was hitting Monsoon season ^ the above is what I remember of the place from that trip! lol everyday and everything was rainy, muddy and blurry.

There's a dam that I frequently visited/drove past on our way to mainland P-stan (might be the same dam in ur pic s-w) :

90107795.ETSGXik7.IMG4517.jpg

90107709.N4Bw7Ic5.IMG3834.jpg

The whole of Kashmir is beautiiiiiiiiiiiiiful <3 never get to see all of it though.

Guest Sister Who

Haiiiiiiiiiii main mar jaa!

That really is so beautiful man, but yunno I love London, its home. I couldn' move anywhere else. But yeah I'd go there on holiday fo sure!

^ You're right, that is how it works, its like this :

Karachi/islamabad Urdu lot > Lahori Urdu lot > Punjabi Lahoris > Paindus/Mirpuris/Jehlumi

More like:

Half English, Half Urdu (fully colonized?) > One quarter English, three quarters Urdu (aspire to be English) > Close to no English, mostly punjabi, some sense of ethnic background (dream of being English, but do not have the means)> Strong sense of ethnic background (happy the way they are).

Correct me if I was wrong.

Edit: Mazakali, there's a difference. (What was your username way back?)

Guest Sister Who

More like:

Half English, Half Urdu (fully colonized?) > One quarter English, three quarters Urdu (aspire to be English) > Close to no English, mostly punjabi, some sense of ethnic background (dream of being English, but do not have the means)> Strong sense of ethnic background (happy the way they are).

Correct me if I was wrong.

Edit: Mazakali, there's a difference. (What was your username way back?)

Ohh i get you, I see what you're getting at here. When we went Pakistan we were seen as 'traitors' :ph34r:

But there is some truth in what you said, the more colonized people are better respected than those who come from rural areas.