Maniac Muslim Forums
Guest Sister Who

Mirpuri

Oh that's one thing that has also intrigued me, why we have so many Punjabi similarities..

Not only in the language, but in the prevalent castes around my rural area back home. The castes from around where I'm from seem more Punjabi-derived, yet when i ask family members, they have no knowledge of any ancestors/forefathers originating from the Punjab who could have possibly moved to settle in the region of Mirpur, bringing along their societal system with them..

I only refer to caste system since I think it's quite relevant and helpful in indicating where a group of people might have originated from.

Ahh if I end up becoming a historian one day, I'm so doing a study on this :P

Hussain: my first name was woah outlandish ayshe :P

Guest Sister Who

^ Whats your caste? :o

We're Raees apparently? The only reason I know this coz my uncle mocks us coz we're known for eating alotta onions or something? :blink: Them lot are Raajpoots, I stay stuff back bout him being a RaajPooh, :/ But yeah other than that don't really know much bout the caste system.

So...agriculturalists from Punjab?

Guest Sister Who

well my family is Jatt/Chowdhury (I'm not tryna flaunt this or anything)

So...agriculturalists from Punjab?

lol one of my uncles is a Jatt, we made jokes outta that too! Think of the one word that rhymes with it :ph34r:

agriculturalists from Punjab? Paindus from Punjab? My limited knowledge on Pakistan says YES!

lol Farmers babyyyyy B)

Caste system is complicated shizz. People get all heated when it's spoken about. As I said, I feel it's quite a good indicator of peoples regional origins. I'd love to learn more about it and how it came about, which I'm guessing was implemented before the British came and reinforced it.

Guest Sister Who

^ Hmm yeah, I remember being in school and the girls saying "Oh we're Syed, what are you? We're Syeeds, thats the highest one" and I had forgotten what I was :/ I dunno none of us were ever bothered. My families not either, in fact other than mum/dad/me/older sis no one from our generation would even know what their caste is.

I see, I remember woah outlandish ayshe. I used to think you were a die-hard outlandish fan.

Aside from that, the caste system is actually rooted in the Hindu scriptures with the four types of people (four varnas?). I believe it goes like priests>kings (people of power, including armies)>agriculturalists and businessmen>labourers.

For this reason I believe Muslims from the subcontinent of India should untie themselves from these beliefs.

those are the 4 regular castes. n there are those who dont even get an official caste. they're below everything. untouchables theyre called :(

^ Whats your caste? :oWe're Raees apparently? The only reason I know this coz my uncle mocks us coz we're known for eating alotta onions or something? :blink: Them lot are Raajpoots, I stay stuff back bout him being a RaajPooh, :/ But yeah other than that don't really know much bout the caste system.

Ooh Raees do you mean Arain I think you do cause there's a rhyme about us eating lots of onions; "Arain ghandey khai, phooka maaryah, faujah bhagyah"

Also I thought all Arain came from Punjab, didn't know there were Mirpuri Arain? And that's everything my parents told me about Arains :blink:

I sincerely hope Allah speedens language change so that Mirpuri is erased.

I'll explain why. But as of now I dislike Mirpur, it is sad that Mirpuris seem to share the same ethics and mindset, it's Brelvi centre and I refuse to speak the language. No one understands you anyway. What a joke of a dialect that's trying to pass off as a language.

If I posted this on the Sufi/Jaahil forum Yanabi.com I'd be banned. :ph34r:

I don't understand the dialect either, but is there a need for the hostility towards Mirpuri's? I know a few Mirpuri people who are pretty cool.

I'm still confused about this mirpuri thing, I don't even know where in Pakistan it's supposed to be! Everytime I ask anyone, everyone says different things.

We have this old woman from mirpur who lives near us and she is the sweetest lady, every now and then my mum goes to make sure she's ok or if she needs anything. Once I went with her and the Aunty had an entire conversation with me, while I said hmm and ji and nahin in the places I thought that they went. I knew it was wrong by reading her facial expressions and didn't realise but I told her I like to eat kidney so she brought me a plate full.

I didn't know what to do because kidney meat makes me queasy!

I'm still confused about this mirpuri thing, I don't even know where in Pakistan it's supposed to be! Everytime I ask anyone, everyone says different things.

Mirpur, Pakistan-owned Azad Kashmir.