Maniac Muslim Forums
Dee

Weddings!

Okay you want serious numbers: ( I have mates who constantly go on about this,I had to call up ELM/plus catering restaurants to ask em ;) )

Venue: lets say we go with ELM (halal/mosque= no music + segregation = bingo!) cheapest option £900

Food: one of ELM caterers do £13 per head, so 200ppl * £13 = £2600

Clothes: a decent hot lengha costs around 2-3k, but my offer for tshirt and shalwar will always be open ;) you can get cheaper ones, good quality from paki places like slough

Wedding cards: £200 if you order online, alot cheaper if you get it done from Pakistan

Decorating: £500-£1000

Jewellery: I hate it. But if you're a paki, and you like gold, then you work this crap out. £500

Extra: mehndi/make up/ £500

Spare: £500

Venue : Local Masjid (Free to 100)

Food : Local Halal shop which does catering. 5 per head (5x100)

Clothes : get real.

Wedding card : why?

Decorating : Masjid! Hello!! (Did that sound desi?)

Jewelery : Don't be silly. Your parents can lend/gift theirs. That's why they collected all the gold all alone, no?

Makeup/Mhendi : 10-20

Spare : 100

Remember, it's not a circus. Really, how many people do you really care to have at your weddingnikah ?

And of course, if you can't afford meals, snacks is quite ok. Complainers ain't gonna pay your fees. People who wouldn't actually care won't mind the simplicity.

Total cost < 100 - 1000

Jewelery : Don't be silly. Your parents can lend/gift theirs. That's why they collected all the gold all alone, no?

Remember, it's not a circus. Really, how many people do you really care to have at your weddingnikah ?

And of course, if you can't afford meals, snacks is quite ok. Complainers ain't gonna pay your fees. People who wouldn't actually care won't mind the simplicity.

Total cost < 100 - 1000

+1000

r-z i agree with you more than what you might think :)

if I marry a Muslim girl, inshAllah I'll try follow this to the core.

When I was getting married, some times my mom would say some thing like; "how can this be that we are not having this?"

Then I would say some thing like; "Mother, we are not rich. We will do this accordingly"

And she would agree.

What is lacking nowadays is initiatives for a simple wedding. People are following each others' exuberant ways rather blindly. If brave people set trends of simple weddings, it will serve the entire community.

the biggest appeal of going to weddings as a kid used to be the Food and the Girls. When you segregate weddings and take girls out of the equation it just becomes a young, or group of young, men sitting with really old men and being bored out of their faces. And if the food is crap then only God can help you.

Has segregating weddings with Indian/Asian/Pakistani's always been the norm is this a relatively new craze?

the biggest appeal of going to weddings as a kid used to be the Food and the Girls. When you segregate weddings and take girls out of the equation it just becomes a young, or group of young, men sitting with really old men and being bored out of their faces. And if the food is crap then only God can help you.

A Reason why you should invite the people you actually care about.

Guest Sister Who

Total cost < 100 - 1000

Trust me, that is more than perfectly fine me. But it wouldn't work with Salina, her familys paki they won't let her do that.

Whaaaat? The female is expected to pay for the wedding-and that completely alone?

Weddings are important. It's once in a lifetime! Once! That day deserves to be expensive-even if it means you have to take out a loan. Having said that-it doesn't mean it needs to be super humongous with tens of hundreds of invitees. Small and 'perfect' is fine too. I think the key is well-planning, and not having too many people interfere with your idea of how your wedding should be.

Just don't plan a wedding one day before the actual event-which I've seen a few people do.

and @ the mosque....? :wacko:

lol, oh my days, I'd move my fiances pillows and sheets over to the living room, and have him sleep at the sofa for good two days if he even hinted at suggesting that.

LOL @ the Packed Lunches :lol: Imagine ppl opening up their lunchboxes... :D

Guest Sister Who

Whaaaat? The female is expected to pay for the wedding-and that completely alone?

Weddings are important. It's once in a lifetime! Once! That day deserves to be expensive-even if it means you have to take out a loan. Having said that-it doesn't mean it needs to be super humongous with tens of hundreds of invitees. Small and 'perfect' is fine too. I think the key is well-planning, and not having too many people interfere with your idea of how your wedding should be.

Just don't plan a wedding one day before the actual event-which I've seen a few people do.

and @ the mosque....? :wacko:

lol, oh my days, I'd move my fiances pillows and sheets over to the living room, and have him sleep at the sofa for good two days if he even hinted at suggesting that.

LOL!

Seriously, why do people spend SO MUCH on wedding clothes if they are only gonna wear it once? And the huge ugly a$ jewelry that is never shown again?

And all that money is spent to please/service guests... basically.

And you know the whole Desi rituals... it's mad painful. Imagine sitting there for hours while 250 something guests feed you mithai one by one by one by one.

And then it goes on for another 2 days. My GOD!

weddings is when a man's life ends, and where the woman's begins.

Q: Hey wanna catch a movie tonight?

Married man: Can't, have to run errands after work. Sorry dude.

Married woman: Well, I had errands to run but I'll make the husband do it, so sure!