Maniac Muslim Forums
GuerillaRadio

Chinese

I don't know how to speak Chinese at all. However, I do have an interest, and since China is about to be a world power, I figured we should have a thread.

The real reason I have this thread is because I want to know why I hear so many 'r' sounds (for lack of a better description) in Chinese. Are there tons of 'r' words in Chinese, or is something else going on here?

I never really noticed alot of "r" words.

maybe the character that sounds like "r" is a vowel and is common like vowels in english? :unsure:

but i've always wanted to learn mandarin, its just hard to pronounce alot of the words however.

guyanamuslim66, there are tons of Chinese Muslims, too. InshAllah we can pick up the basics. Let us search for intro Chinese language websites.

I have a TV series in Chinese. A friend sent it to me.

Would you like to watch it with me and pick up vocabulariez?

when i used to listen to chinese music i'd translate them..but that was years ago o.o

i wish there were classes at school for it

i want to learn cantonese.

DICEY OMG I WANNA WATCH IT :D

dim sa means what's up in chinese. apparently like, you have to vary the tone of voice you use when you speak cantonese or smthn cause if you dont then the words will sound diff and have a dif meaning :blink:

the only bad thing is that there are tons of dialects of chinese, it takes about 10 years to learn how to speak it fluently, there's no alphabet, and reading it takes a long time, too.

when i used to listen to chinese music i'd translate them..but that was years ago o.o

i wish there were classes at school for it

there are classes for chinese in my school..but I find it hard.

i translate korean music :L

Dicentra, I'm in for whatever you've got, inshAllah.

guyanamuslim66 and all, have you heard about Rosetta Stone? It's supposed to work wonders. ALSO, guyanamuslim66, aren't you in college? Just take some Chinese classes.

lilmsmuslimah, I think that's a strong point. I've read Japanese is much harder still. In any case, I just want to know the basics.

My younger sister's learning Mandarin at school. Hearing her practice her speaking is hilarious, and when i say to her ' Amira, shut up' she'll reply 'You mean...'. The little brat <_<

I'm okay with my languages, it's hard enough for me to learn Somali right now :lol: But i am keen on learning Korean, i've picked up a few words/phrases from the soaps i watched, and i practice with my friend back home.

rainbowxcream , it looked to be working for me!

Ameena, that's pretty cool. From where do you get Korean soaps?

rainbowxcream , it looked to be working for me!

Ameena, that's pretty cool. From where do you get Korean soaps?

A friend usually brings back DVD sets from Brunei, but i also get them from our local Korean foods shop. Also the website that rainbowxcream suggested has heaps. You just have to sift through to find what you're looking for.