Maniac Muslim Forums
GuerillaRadio

Chinese

awesome

nation I hoped to be based in , I really enjoyed my stay in China

but I kinda prefer Mandarin rather than Cantonese

A friend usually brings back DVD sets from Brunei, but i also get them from our local Korean foods shop. Also the website that rainbowxcream suggested has heaps. You just have to sift through to find what you're looking for.

yeah, the bad thing about the site it that there aren't really Categories like "Comedy; Romance, Tragedy" and all that stuff.

rainbowxcream, jazaks for the sites. I also agree that categories would've been nice.

Ameena, why so interested in Korean? I know they sponsor folks to speak English, at least, but I seldom hear about folks interested Korean.

m2ab, why were you in China? THAT would interesting to me, actually. And what did you eat? A friend of mine said there's not much we can eat in China because they go with a bunch of pork.

Elzen, you're probably right. I don't know how to describe the sound, exactly. In the UK, do people say 'wash' kind of funny? Sometimes, in the US, you'll hear a sound that sounds like an 'r,' almost, so you get 'warsh.' Something like that. I'll see if I can find some clips. Perhaps it has to do with my Chinese sources (action movies)? I'm not sure, but now I'm doubting myself.

I don't know aye. I started watching Korean soaps summer of 08/09 and then i became friends with a friend's friend who's korean and he's been helping me learn words/phrases. But i haven't been home in months so my speaking has gone bad again.

I think i'd like to work in S. Korea for a while though. It would be a great experience, and it's the only Asian country i'm prepared to work in really.

I was gonna say being Korean is so "in" now... I think the dramas have taken over...

On a further note, yes there are quite a few words with r and l in Cantonese Chinese... I only know this because my mom speaks Cantonese... I think Japanese is way easier than Cantonese, if you mean learning wise... My dad speaks Japanese... I need to speak it, shame on me, I can only understand :\

:(

I had two chinese roommates, and many chinese room neighbors-and they were the most well mannered people with the greatest etiquette. I miss them soo much!

This is the little I picked up lol:

Oua anyiii ( I love you)

Oua ya aniii ( I love you too)

Oua b'aaniii (I don't love you)

tchin (tchin)-star

Funkwa -idiot

---

aaand here's a great site I came across some weeks ago: http://www.languageguide.org/mandarin/ If you go to the main site-they have several other language choices Really awesome.

Ameena, please keep a distance from that fellow. He's not Somali enough for my tastes.

The One, apparently Japanese grammar is much more difficult than Chinese grammar, though the number of characters are comparable. Also, the number of characters in those languages are totally crazy and huge.

Elzen, have you seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? I think I remember it from there. After thinking about it, it's the 'r' sound produced when people say yogurt (or, at least, when I say it)

Perrin, thanks for the site. I'm sad to see, however, that your blog has met its end.

GR, fret not my friend, Alex is totally harmless.

He prefers men to women anyway :lol:

Make sure they're authentic :lol: I have one, having lived here most of her life, she's lost her Chinese-ness :P

rainbowxcream, I have tons of Chinese acquaintances, and they're all very helpful with teaching me Chinese.

Ameena, I am unconvinced! My Conscience needs peace.

Ameena, you've got to meet him first. MashAllah, I'm sure he can learn to speak Chinese AND Korean.

and since China is about to be a world power, I figured we should have a thread.\

Yesterday's paper said something about Indian schools making Chinese another choice for language learners, because of the economy and people moving there.

in the UK, do people say 'wash' kind of funny? Sometimes, in the US, you'll hear a sound that sounds like an 'r,' almost, so you get 'warsh.'

Warsh? Not Waash?

Ameena: South Korea's awesomel! :D Like in a good way. A lot of my friends study and work there. It's relatively safe and it's pretty cool, from what I've heard.