Maniac Muslim Forums
GuerillaRadio

Chinese

Shaheema: That's what i heard too, that's why i want to go there. And apparently the pay is good, especially if you have a foreign passport. Yes, i'm all about the money right now :P

GR: Hahaha. Dude, you have to tell your Conscience about your plan first. Then give me the chance to totaly crush him with the most amazing, yet soul-crushing and life destroying rejection ever.

Now tht sounds like an excellent plan to me. Wouldn't you agree?!

Whoa... What's this about a foreign passport? And money is good to a certain extent. Gotta pay the bills. But seriously dude, if you're interested in South Korea, I can hook you up.

Whoa... What's this about a foreign passport? And money is good to a certain extent. Gotta pay the bills. But seriously dude, if you're interested in South Korea, I can hook you up.

Well with my Kiwi passport i get more percks than someone with say an Arab or SEA or even Asian passport. For example, if i go to the ME, in some cases i could get free accommodation, a car and even a plane ticket home once a year, and all from the company i work for. The money's tempting now, in the beginning of my career, but i reckon as i grow older ( and settle down) i'll want more job security and an all round better job. But rght now, i'll go wherever the wind take me, lol.

My friend actually just started a 5 month teaching job in China .He was offerred it on a Monday and was flown out on the Wednesday. I think i would probably do something crazy like that now, but sooner or later my wants and needs (from the job) will change.

Shahi, i still have one more semester to go after this inshaAllah. Remind me this time next year :P

Shaheema, aye, we go with warsh State-side, I'm pretty sure. It's a deep 'r' sound thingie. And will you be moving to China? If so, you could join m2ab. After all, the Chinese did invent fireworks.

Ameena, meet him first. He is a student of the deen; the angels spread their wings beneath his feet. That said, he doesn't know about the plan, yet.

On topic: is memorizing Chinese characters a straight, raw memorization thing, or are there some trends?

To answer your question, according to my sister it's a straight memorization strategy( But she's 12, so i don't know how reliable her answer is)

m2ab, why were you in China? THAT would interesting to me, actually. And what did you eat? A friend of mine said there's not much we can eat in China because they go with a bunch of pork.

for Catonfair (largest Import & Export fair) and there is alot of Muslim Hotels there , I mean ,Middle Easterners are one of the largest importers of China as there is not much trade restrictions

I stayed abt 4 nights in a hotel then rented out an apartment, u get gr8 apartments there , alot of bambooish interior design types and all . Furnished apartment costed me abt 3000RMB abt US$800 per month

Its awesome there, u get all arab foods , there are yemenis, turks, lebanese and all whole muslim community , not to mention one of the oldest mosque there in Guangzhou http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/guangdong/guangzhou/huaisheng.htm

But rght now, i'll go wherever the wind take me, lol.

Shahi, i still have one more semester to go after this inshaAllah. Remind me this time next year :P

And where may that be? And risk-taking is a truly enjoyable venture. :)

I most definitely will, InshaAllah! Koreans are so cute. There are tons of them where I live.

Shaheema, aye, we go with warsh State-side, I'm pretty sure. It's a deep 'r' sound thingie. And will you be moving to China? If so, you could join m2ab. After all, the Chinese did invent fireworks.

On topic: is memorizing Chinese characters a straight, raw memorization thing, or are there some trends?

Warsh. I love the sound of it! It sounds rather unusual, too. How do you pronounce 'bark" as in the bark of a dog?

I'd seriously love to go back, InshaAllah. It's home. Maybe we could all take an MM trip there. But Hong Kong isn't the real China. The interiors of China have huge pockets of Muslims, and the food is heavenly! They may not be too practicing, but they don't eat pork, and that's a big deal. And although I'm not as quick-witted as most people, I see something beyond the fireworks.

Considering the fact that the Chinese alphabet is basically pictorial, yes, there is "raw" memorization involved, but the nice thing is that the most words are compounds of each other, so you just build them up. Like the word for tree looks like an 'A', and a forest is a lot of those 'A's. And of course, if you learn the Chinese alphabet, Kanji should be a breeze for you. About the trends, do you mind if I ask my mom and let you know. The problem is that she speaks Cantonese, and not Mandarin, which is the Chinese standard. But I think she can read it.

Also, why do you want to learn Chinese? Is there any specific reason? Mandarin is a beautiful, lyrical language, and it sounds nice. Have you heard Johnny Blu? He sings in Chinese.

To answer your question, according to my sister it's a straight memorization strategy( But she's 12, so i don't know how reliable her answer is)

I love you, Ameena.

And Elzen's right... Mandarin has the American "R", not Cantonese.

Edit: And also, one word pronounced slightly different can have tons of different meanings. Pretty cool stuff.

Dude, Chinese is a mission. My friend taught me her Chinese name, and it took me 9857982709872903 tries to be able to pronounce it properly (with the correct tones and everything I mean).

I most definitely will, InshaAllah! Koreans are so cute. There are tons of them where I live.

This summer it's Australia. My friends and i are finally going on the road trip we've been talking about for 3 years :P After that i have no plans.

If you say come to Chennai, i'll come :)

I love you, Ameena.

I love you too, Shahi :)

Dude, Chinese is a mission. My friend taught me her Chinese name, and it took me 9857982709872903 tries to be able to pronounce it properly (with the correct tones and everything I mean).

Rusell Peters it, baby. Seriously though, Indian names are equally tough. You have to chop them up.

If you say come to Chennai, i'll come :)

I love you too, Shahi :)

Come to Chennai, Ameena! :D Please! Pretty please with sugar on the top. I'd be tickled pink to see you. We're moving to Malaysia, though, InshaAllah, so maybe I'll see you there!

I love you more

It's not a chore,

to settle this score,

I may be a bore,

but I implore:

I'll guard your door.

Fin.

Indian AND Sri Lankan names. It took me a year to learn the correct pronounciation of a friend's last name :lol:

Okie dokie. Ooh and Malaysia is eve more convenient, i have tons of friends there, and i could just crash at my bestie's place :P

First overseas trip after grad: To Chennai (or M'sia) to see Shaheema!!

Warsh. I love the sound of it! It sounds rather unusual, too. How do you pronounce 'bark" as in the bark of a dog?

I'd seriously love to go back, InshaAllah. It's home. Maybe we could all take an MM trip there. But Hong Kong isn't the real China. The interiors of China have huge pockets of Muslims, and the food is heavenly! They may not be too practicing, but they don't eat pork, and that's a big deal. And although I'm not as quick-witted as most people, I see something beyond the fireworks.

Considering the fact that the Chinese alphabet is basically pictorial, yes, there is "raw" memorization involved, but the nice thing is that the most words are compounds of each other, so you just build them up. Like the word for tree looks like an 'A', and a forest is a lot of those 'A's. And of course, if you learn the Chinese alphabet, Kanji should be a breeze for you. About the trends, do you mind if I ask my mom and let you know. The problem is that she speaks Cantonese, and not Mandarin, which is the Chinese standard. But I think she can read it.

Also, why do you want to learn Chinese? Is there any specific reason? Mandarin is a beautiful, lyrical language, and it sounds nice. Have you heard Johnny Blu? He sings in Chinese.

I love you, Ameena.

SAY WHAT?????

Indian AND Sri Lankan names. It took me a year to learn the correct pronounciation of a friend's last name :lol:

Okie dokie. Ooh and Malaysia is eve more convenient, i have tons of friends there, and i could just crash at my bestie's place :P

First overseas trip after grad: To Chennai (or M'sia) to see Shaheema!!

What about me? :puppy dog eyes:

Shaheema I'm pretty sure I pronounce it like it's spelt: "bark." In Boston, it's probably 'baaaaaaak.'

The One seems to disagree that China is your home. Or she's otherwise surprised? I can't tell. An MM trip, however, would be totally awesome. By that, I mean a trip on which people from MM all decide to go. It might have some mixing issues, but it's otherwise a cool idea. As for the fireworks, I'm just saying. I'm your man if introductions are needed and all that.

Thanks for the tips on the characters. Can you speak Chinese like The One? Do you girls know how to write it? I heard that you need to memorize something like 10 K characters to read a newspaper, or something like that. That makes me wonder what their computer keyboards look like.

Last, I want to learn Chinese because it's such a big part of the world now, and because China is an emerging power. I don't listen to music anymore, but I haven't heard of Johnny Blu. I do know of an desi guy who sings country music, which was pretty awesome.

oxy.moron, it took me 4-5 tries to get 'hello' down, and I really don't do it right still.

^Um, nah it is home... But she often refers to SoCal as home, so I was like, hmm....

I don't speak Chinese :( Only the other stuff that everyone knows....

Btw, the pronounciations, my son mentioned he has a "potty" book, and 5 minutes later it struck me that he meant "party" book... Kinda East Coast like, yeah?

MM TRIPS good stuff, please plan an India trip first, or else no one'll come I guess!!!