Maniac Muslim Forums
GuerillaRadio

'Halal' Music

I write 'halal' in quotation marks out of respect for those who don't think music is haraam.

However, if you post up links to stuphph, please make sure there are no non-percussive instruments besides the human voice. That means, even if it's a nasheed, but it has the accordion or guitar, no dice.

Hat tip to Extempers who came up with this idea, but did not follow through. Also, hat tip to Allah (swt).

What are examples of 'percussive instruments' and how does that relate to any level of prohibition (whichever side of the camp you're on)?

Forbid Any type of instrument other than the daff please

Well 'percussion' seems to be a new layer of permissibility which I've heard around quite commonly- just wondering what it involves and where the whole idea stems from. Thoughts?

Alrighty, I'll go first:

The Music

is the Man of La Mancha. It's a somewhat famous classical music work that was done in acapella by a group of guys called, "The Ambassadors of Harmony." The original Man of La Mancha is a fictitious book character named Don Quixote, by Crevantes. I think it's the greatest non-Quran book of all time. Here's the whole thing, legally, and for free.

is Loch Lomond, which is sung by the Haverford College Humtones. I'm friends with the soloist, but I want to clarify a (sinful) joke that I made: I am not singing in this video. Loch Lomond is a sweet story of a dude who contemplates a return to his lady and land after traveling away for battle.

is a dude who is freaking out about a rainbow.

is a barbershop quartet named Crossroads. They won an international barbershop quartet competition in 2009, as you can tell from the video title.

General Thoughts on Finding the Music

1. Youtube searches for 'acapella' really help out. The downside is the number of people who post up themselves singing in the bathroom.

2. I've really started enjoying Barbershop Quartet music. Those searches are usually fruitful. If any brothers here wish to form one for that ISNA performance we were joking about, I'm still totally down.

3. I used to think techno (and, relatedly, trans, &c.) were all halaal. But a careful listening will reveal non-percussive inputs.

4. I'm skeptical of people who 'recreate' instrument sounds, and then professionally splice them together to make an 'acapella' song.

(Party in the USA cover) sounds like music to me, though I've been told that scholars are split on stuff like this. I mean, there's clearly some post-production effects going on, but you make your own call, I guess.

5. Nasheeds tend to suck, in my humble opinion.

Oh, apologies respecta and Zimarina. In 'percussive' I include all manners of drums and cymbals. On the fringe I would put stuff like 'chimes.' Basically, anything that, by striking, produces (roughly) only one tone.

Percussion insurments, i think that's stuff like flute etc. Where it stems from? It was something how back in the days they didn't have these kinda instruments so it wasn't known. Also something like electrical sounds are permissible because again wasn't there back in the days. I don't remember where it stems from bit too tired i'll read upon it tomorrow and post it here. Sami yusuf has some sorta fatwa on his website regarding the permissibility

Oh, apologies respecta and Zimarina. In 'percussive' I include all manners of drums and cymbals. On the fringe I would put stuff like 'chimes.' Basically, anything that, by striking, produces (roughly) only one tone.

Okay, but then how does this category of musical instruments seem to have developed a level of permissibility in and of itself? Is it because the various ahadith to do with music mention 'wind and string' instruments explicitly so other instruments fall into this 'percussions' subset?

I'm really trying to understand this, because I've yet to meet a person who believes music is haram and listens to 'percussion' instruments, rather it's all instruments being impermissible with the one exception of a simple daff.

Have you trodden the Slippery Stone by any chance, Mr Radio?

Zimarina, I will be the first to admit my lack of traditional training. My knowledge of permissibility in music originally came from a friend who stopped listening to music before I did.

But my definition of 'percussive' is honestly derived from my knowledge of music not on something like the deduction you've presented. Still my definition appears I have a blind spot, and I'll have to look into it. In truth, I wasn't desperately trying to expand the definitions so I could listen to more stuff.

AlhamduliAllah, I haven't 'needed' music in a while. As you've pointed out, however, that's no reason for me to get lazy.

Edit: Did you listen to any of links above? If so, what did you think?

Also, it really depends on the person's singing ability. Take Talib Al-Habib, for example. He was trained in choir, so he's got an amazing voice.

Beat-boxing!

Here's one of the group this dude I know's in. Wren's amazing:

oxy.moron: but...one of my teachers said that whistling was not good ?

like..if you whistle your calling the shaytan or something....

shaheema: yes, they do. 'cause the singer might be like like swearing or saying inappropriate stuff...then yeah..lol

also the drums have strings them. and string instruments are not halal either, as I have heard.