Maniac Muslim Forums
GuerillaRadio

'Halal' Music

GuerillaRadio: I underlined it because I thought song titles are usually underlined? Or are those book titles? And yes, I heard whistling isn't reccommended, but I didn't know about it being haram. Have to look that one up. My mother just sang their song at breakfast today. I think all parents should sing to each other. I love it when parents act cute with each other.

I can't see the Rainbow Guy link, but I'll look it up when I get home, InshaAllah. You may enjoy Mt. Rushmore. And voice control is so complex. You have to control your stomach, your lungs, your breathing. There's a test on KaraokeParty. ALSO you can advertise your band on your awesome blog that currently doesn't exist. I can write reviews that will exist once the blog comes into fruition. I have an idea: You can sing about Law concepts. It can help other people. Like the Table of Elements and Pi song.

Wow N'sync is so old school. It's surprising anyone remembers it.

Latha: Yeah, mom doesn't like it. So I don't. I'm the Good One.

"Apparently there's a girl named 'Miley Cirus' who sings." I have another suggestion for you: You need to create a thread on "How To Become Awesome and Hilarious in Less Than Three Steps". Please?

Hamzah: I love Halal Meat! The harmony, the rhythm, and the lyrics always make me feel great. Such talent, MashaAllah. I heard you sang for them once?

^yeah but the way they 'sing' it nowadays is no different than any music, so there is no point of nasheeds, I dun get the need to listen to Nasheeds.

some use it as a substitute to listen to music, but then some so called nasheeds do contain music.

For listening to nasheeds there's no sin nor reward. Just neutral.

However what is advised is if Kids are listening to nasheeds, listen to stuff like Kamal Uddin - 99 names of Allah, or Talib Al Habib. These ones have stuff like duas, which kids end up memorising just by learning. Even that nasheed 'who next - your mother', stuff like this is good for young kids who are still learning

I agree with Respecta. But on the other hand, some nasheeds just seem too 'drum and base'. People end up listening to that particular nasheed not because of its message, but rather because it's pleasing to the ears.

m2ab, not where they go 'wrong,' but where they go neither wrong, nor right. Folks, Honestly, if a nasheed has a good message, and one can hear that message, and it doesn't violate rules of music, I'm all for it.

I might question its neutrality, actually, if it has a good message. Why wouldn't it just be 'good,' assuming no 'music' is going on in there?

From another forum......

Question:

What is the ruling on Islamic nasheeds that are free of music?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The clear saheeh texts indicate in a number of ways that it is permissible to recite poetry and listen to it. It was narrated in saheeh reports that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his noble Companions (may Allaah be pleased with them) listened to verse, recited it (as nasheed) and asked others to recite it, both when they were travelling and when they stayed at home, in their gatherings and whilst they were working, individually, as in the case of Hassaan ibn Thaabit, ‘Aamir ibn al-Akwa’ and Anjashah (may Allaah be pleased with them), and in unison, as in the hadeeth of Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) which describes the digging of the ditch (al-khandaq). Anas said:

When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw how exhausted and hungry we were, he said (in verse):

“O Allaah, there is no life except the life of the Hereafter, so forgive the Ansaar and the Muhaajireen.”

And they said in response:

“We are the ones who have pledged allegiance to Muhammad, to make jihaad for as long as we live.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3/1043)

And in gatherings too: Ibn Abi Shaybah narrated with a hasan isnaad that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not speak in devious tones or in a soft manner. They used to recite verses in their gatherings, denouncing the affairs of their jaahiliyyah, but if it was the matter of their religion, they would become very serious and cautious (8/711).

This evidence indicates that nasheeds are permissible, whether recited individually or in unison. The word nasheed in Arabic means raising the voice when reciting verse and making the voice sound beautiful and gentle.

There are conditions to which attention must be paid with regard to this matter:

Not using forbidden musical instruments in nasheed.

Not doing it too much or making it the focus of the Muslim’s mind, occupying all his time, or neglecting obligatory duties because of it.

Nasheed should not be recited by women, or include haraam or obscene speech.

They should not resemble the tunes of the people of immorality and promiscuity.

They should be free of vocal effects that produce sounds like those of musical instruments.

They should not have moving tunes which make the listener feel “high” as happens to those who listen to songs. This is the case with many of the nasheeds which appear nowadays, so that the listeners no longer pay any attention to the good meaning of the words, because they are so entranced by the tunes. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

References:

Fath al-Baari, 10/553-554-562-563

Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, 8/711

Al-Qaamoos al-Muheet, 411

Hamzah: I love Halal Meat! The harmony, the rhythm, and the lyrics always make me feel great. Such talent, MashaAllah. I heard you sang for them once?

I did. But people couldn't take them seriously with me in it so I bounced.

S..., according to Extempers, and even going by the most narrowing definitions provided by m2ab and others, it should be fine.

^It attaches you to the dunya too much

I don't disagree, but I find this to be a very weak argument. The same can be said about virtually all every day actions.

About women and their voices-can they recite quran in 'good voice'-or is that also considered haram?

Not everything attaches you to the dunya at the same level and I'm only commenting on the wisdom of the ruling.

The ruling stands no matter how logical or illogical we perceive it to be.

And beautified voice of a woman is part of her awrah. Beyond that I don't know so I cannot comment on Qur'an recitation