Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grosso modo

Weird anthropology prof

Salam all,

so I went to this (Medical) anthropology class for the first day...I chose it as an elective...and thought it would be interesting. I had not taken an anthro class before so I expected it

to be interesting and cover more of the social aspects to health and wellness, etc. Anyway, the professor turns out to be a hardcore evolutionist. She makes claims like the earth is EXACTLY 4 million years old...that humans were originally apes - with whom we 'share 95 % of DNA'. The prof also said that 500 000yrs ago humans were hunched back and that it has been only 100 000yrs since we've been walking upright lol. Oh also that humans were roaming the earth naked about a million years ago and clothes were a relatively recent invention (in anthropological terms). Honestly, I was just awe-struck while at the same time laughing hysterically at these 'scientific facts' ...I mean how can reasonable people believe such - pardon my french - BS? What makes anthropologists (and biologists for that matter) so certain of when our Earth began, who we 'descended' from and how we've 'evolved'. And, more importantly, with such beliefs can Science and Islam be reconciled in the West ?..because I don't see how concepts like the soul, the creation of Adam, etc would fit into the scientific discourse of our times.

DISCUSS!

Salam all,

so I went to this (Medical) anthropology class for the first day...I chose it as an elective...and thought it would be interesting. I had not taken an anthro class before so I expected it

to be interesting and cover more of the social aspects to health and wellness, etc. Anyway, the professor turns out to be a hardcore evolutionist. She makes claims like the earth is EXACTLY 4 million years old...that humans were originally apes - with whom we 'share 95 % of DNA'. DISCUSS!

well... no scientist claims earth is exactly 4 Billion (not million) years old, but it is estimated to be in that order. This is estimated in accordance to the theory of origin of solar system, and also radiometric dating.

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth

A question for you: How old do you think earth is? What are your reasoning?

DNA similarity with Apes is true though. And many academicians nowadays do believe in theory of evolution. So this professor is not weird or alone in his (or her) beliefs.

The prof also said that 500 000yrs ago humans were hunched back and that it has been only 100 000yrs since we've been walking upright lol. Oh also that humans were roaming the earth naked about a million years ago and clothes were a relatively recent invention (in anthropological terms). Honestly, I was just awe-struck while at the same time laughing hysterically at these 'scientific facts' ...I mean how can reasonable people believe such - pardon my french - BS? What makes anthropologists (and biologists for that matter) so certain of when our Earth began, who we 'descended' from and how we've 'evolved'. And, more importantly, with such beliefs can Science and Islam be reconciled in the West ?..because I don't see how concepts like the soul, the creation of Adam, etc would fit into the scientific discourse of our times.

Well.... if he said humans were hunched back 500,000 years ago that would be incorrect according theory human evolution since humans didn't exist until about 20,000-50,000 years ago. And by human they mean homo sapien sapien. As to how biologists deduce about ancestors of humans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

THE GROSSO IS BACK! Stick around akhi. Don't leave! I will cry a river if you do not stay.

Egh, evolution is the general belief amongst prominent scientists today. I wouldn't go into a science class and expect my teacher to reject it. Study it for yourself and offer refutes. I don't know how large your class is, but if it is seminar-style and you are able to speak up, then you can try and bring forth your own evidence and see what your teacher says. Two options really when around and learning from those with staunchly opposing beliefs:

1) You decide not to look into it for yourself (resulting either in stubbornness or doubt of your own preexisting thoughts)

2) You look into it (in turn, developing new beliefs or strengthening your already existing beliefs)

Let it be the latter, because those who decide not to look deeper into that which they disagree cannot hold up their beliefs in this world. Rejecting evolution alone (while hiding from it) simply does not work. If we are surrounded by it: then we need to look into it, understand it, and understand the case against it (and that includes from a religious perspective).

Most of my science profs have been proponents of evolution, I mean if you're using all reason and no faith/theism, it makes sense why they would pick that over creationism (which REQUIRES belief in a higher being). Idk if there's a third alternative they could teach.

Salam all,

to be interesting and cover more of the social aspects to health and wellness, etc. Anyway, the professor turns out to be a hardcore evolutionist. She makes claims like the earth is EXACTLY 4 million years old...that humans were originally apes - with whom we 'share 95 % of DNA'. The prof also said that 500 000yrs ago humans were hunched back and that it has been only 100 000yrs since we've been walking upright lol. Oh also that humans were roaming the earth naked about a million years ago and clothes were a relatively recent invention (in anthropological terms). Honestly, I was just awe-struck while at the same time laughing hysterically at these 'scientific facts' ...I mean how can reasonable people believe such - pardon my french - BS? What makes anthropologists (and biologists for that matter) so certain of when our Earth began, who we 'descended' from and how we've 'evolved'. And, more importantly, with such beliefs can Science and Islam be reconciled in the West ?..because I don't see how concepts like the soul, the creation of Adam, etc would fit into the scientific discourse of our times.

DISCUSS!

carbon dating or something like that. And fossils.

Oh my! On behalf of medical anthropologists everywhereI offer my apologies! Thank Allah that my first med anthro class was done by a brilliant woman who got me hooked on the subject so much so that its now my life course!

Musa has some good points there. Learn about what she's saying and then argue against it. I hope she isn't the type of lecturer who marks you down or takes it personally when you argue against her beliefs. (If she is then I feel for you). Some of info doesn't sound right too tho :/

Medical anthropology isn't about the evolution of man, but we have to study the physical aspects of it to understand the cultural evolution and thus the medical side because the two overlap. I promise that it will get better, (if she is not ethnocentric, cos if she is then the course will suck). You will learn about how diseases came to be, how we are affected now and you will learn about how important culture is in understanding illness and disease and combatting it. You will read some interesting and weird stories about practices all over the world that will leave you in awe, smiling or running for the loo where you will lose your food. But, IMO the class is worth it. I just hope your lecturer gets better!!! You are in my duas!