Oz555

What do you peoples think is worse...?

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is worse?

• Alcohol
    • Cannabis

recently someone put on their FB status,

What is worse? Weed or alcohol??

Living in our society we see both alot i'm sure... and i know both are haram, but just wanted to get ur thoughts..

Alcohol is definitely worse. It reduces inhibitions and that gives way to more haram- sex and violence. Weed is bad because you can't pray when you're high, and it makes you lazy (although I know potheads who are super productive). But weed doesn't lead to more haram the way alcohol does, it just leads to the munchies and hackeysack competitions.

Plus you can use medicinal marijuana for health problems, I ASKED MY IMAM :wow:

Its really hard to tell. I mean from what aspect? Since weed is illegal in the US, you have to buy it illegally here, meaning it likely comes from drug cartels, who promote violence, arms, drug, and human trafficking, as well as instability in many countries, like Mexico. So from a larger perspective, smoking weed does a lot of harm to others.

Alcohol also does harm to others, like if you drink and drive. But it also ruins a lot of lives. When I was part of this campus ministry, i knew a few people who came for help because they were 18/19//20 year olds who were self proclaimed alcoholics. It is very addictive, and even though it is permitted in extreme moderation in my faith, I still advise people to avoid it because of its harmful effects.

Having dealt with a substantial number of addicts by now, I'd say it's Alcohol. I hate alcohol with a passion.

I say alcohol. Because it is legal, people feel less guilty about it and get away with it even though it is worse than a lot of drugs.

Im sure there is a thread about how alcohol is worse than a lot of drugs.

recently someone put on their FB status,

What is worse? Weed or alcohol??

Living in our society we see both alot i'm sure... and i know both are haram, but just wanted to get ur thoughts..

First of all, how do you define "worse"? As far as their effects on society at large, alcohol is without spec of doubt, much worse. Studies have proven that the effects of alcohol on society are worse than crack and heroine. Furthermore, weed has very few actual long-term health effects. There are rare and questionable effects, such as raising a man's chance of testicular cancer, or heart disease and depression. However, these are mostly "correlations" and not proven effects. They could be countered by marijuana's positive health effects. To the contrary, casual or recreational drinking of alcohol has very few positive effects. And of course, the effects of binge drinking are known. I would say the worse effect that I have seen of marijuana is decreased motivation, but Allahu Alim...

But then, there is also an implication of one who uses marijuana regularly as opposed to alcohol. Alcohol is legal, whereas marijuana is illegal, so one who will do marijuana is 'bending' the law. Though, as it becomes increasingly popular, that requires a far less 'risky' sort of person.

But then there is also implication of a Muslim who drinks. Alcohol's harms are really emphasized in Islamic communities. For some reason, a Muslim smoking weed just doesn't 'hit' me the same way as a Muslim drinking alcohol. Alcohol feels like he's really giving up some key tenets. Weed feels like he's simply a bit off the mark. But that is not based on any actual logical reasoning...

In reality, they are both haram for the very same reasoning (i.e. distortion of one's mind). We should be happy with the mind Allah (Swt) has given us, and not seek things outside of our bodies to spiritually enrich our souls (as many claim marijuana is used for). Alhamdulilah, Islam should be enough :)

For a Muslim, I think both are equally wrong. We don't need to debate about what is better: missing dhuhr or missing asr. We just shouldn't miss prayer. Period.

alcohol. main cause for accidents. and weed should be legal. if it was, then crime rate would drop because most people are after weed... they kill for it. and people who get high rarely harm others. whereas when you're intoxicated from alcohol, you don't know what you're doing.

anyway, i prefer chocolate over everything.

Weed should be legal eh? That would just make it easier to get a hold of, making it more widespread. Then when it's commonplace to use it, what's stopping it from having the same effect alcohol has on the society - road accidents, unrestrained violence and impaired faculties. Weed being illegal does restrict access to it. If anything alcohol should give us a heads up on what could happen if we legalize weed. That would be a monumental mistake.