MM Book Club

Participants  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be participating?

2. 2. How will you be reading the book?

• Rent/Borrow
    • Buy
    • Other
    • Not applicable since I wont be participating but I like giving my opinion on polls anyway

To the Lighthouse follows and extends the tradition of modernist novelists like Marcel Proust and James Joyce, where the plot is secondary to philosophical introspection, and the prose can be winding and hard to follow. The novel includes little dialogue and almost no action; most of it is written as thoughts and observations.

Sounds like it's going to be painful to read. :ph34r: Thanks cubby for that.

^Lol I was thinking the same thing when I read that bit :lol: If I can get through this week then I'll see if I can pop down to the library to get a copy. InshaAllah

I think I'm going to read a little from google books first to see if its worth finding a pdf and reading in full.

EDIT: It seems ok. There are moments were you (I rather) get lost in all the words since the sentences are never ending. lol. And this is just the beginning.

I actually am enjoying the style. in the beginning it can be frustrating, but don't try to read it all and absorb. Just go with the flow of the sentence and got lost in her descriptions and trains of thought.

I'm going to sit out for now. But if you keep up with this book-reading club, I'll begin in a few weeks when I finish the books I'm currently reading.

I just got given schoolwork to do :(

I might have to sit this one out, inshaAllah I will try to get some reading in maybe next week. When does the reading period end and the review begin?

16th is the last day. I guess I should speed up my reading. :P I read maybe 2 pages only so far.

I actually am enjoying the style. in the beginning it can be frustrating, but don't try to read it all and absorb. Just go with the flow of the sentence and got lost in her descriptions and trains of thought.

Read page 13 to 31 in the last hr. The descriptions are endless. Nothing seems to be happening. The thoughts move from one character to another without warning. I'm already confused but can't be bothered to go over those parts again. This is not the kind of book that I would enjoy reading but now I'm just reading it for the sake of finishing it. :P

For the next book, can we read a thriller, please?

So this is not your typical book at all. The plot means almost nothing and there is very little action. This is all about character development and the thoughts of the characters.

"Large parts of Woolf's novel do not concern themselves with the objects of vision, but rather investigate the means of perception, attempting to understand people in the act of looking"

It can be very difficult to read if you come in with these expectations of a regular story so throw all that out the window. It's a more extreme Catcher n the Rye. Meaning the actual plot was not as important as the main character in his development and the ability for Salinger to capture those feelings of youth confusion and put them into words. This is what made this book a masterpiece and why so many high school kids enjoyed reading it and could relate to the character.

So what we need to do is enjoy the ability to be inside each characters head and hear his/her flow of free thought. Look for social commentary on the Victorian period, society, religion and so forth.

Also keep in mind this book is very auto-biographical. Meaning this book is about Virginia Woolf's life. How crazy is that?

Wow. High school kids enjoyed this? :P Well, I expected to not see much of a plot thanks to cubster but it requires some extra attention which makes it difficult to enjoy. It's certainly too early for me to call it a masterpiece. But the writing style is off putting. It makes more sense if it's an autobiography. Although, it's amazing she managed to capture so many thought processes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Woolf

The setting of this book is also the place of her fondest memories, the lighthouse. She came from a well-to-do and very well connected family. She could not deal with grief and tended to nervous breakdowns anytime someone close died and was also briefly institutionalized.

She was sexually abused by her half-brothers, married to a relatively poor writer and joined a literary group that prescribed to a very liberal interpretation of sexuality and she partook in an affair or two.

A good summary of the book from wiki:

To the Lighthouse (1927) is set on two days ten years apart. The plot centres around the Ramsay family's anticipation of and reflection upon a visit to a lighthouse and the connected familial tensions. One of the primary themes of the novel is the struggle in the creative process that beset painter Lily Briscoe while she struggles to paint in the midst of the family drama. The novel is also a meditation upon the lives of a nation's inhabitants in the midst of war, and of the people left behind. It also explores the passage of time, and how women are forced by society to allow men to take emotional strength from them

I just started reading a new book yesterday... but the description of this sounds pretty intriguing. Should I do this or should I finish the other book first? I say postpone the deadline for finishing it. School is also starting next week for most people, so there's not going to be much free time to read fiction.... but I'm interested.

Virginia's Woolf's suicide note is damn depressing. So bleak and resigned.