MM Book Club

Participants  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be participating?

2. 2. How will you be reading the book?

• Rent/Borrow
    • Buy
    • Other
    • Not applicable since I wont be participating but I like giving my opinion on polls anyway

I LOVE VIRGINIA WOOLF! You guys should read Mrs Dalloway too.

Been meaning to read To the lighthouse! But I'm already drowning in papers and assignments and have finals at the end of this month! So will inshaAllah read this during semester break!

Loving the idea of an MM Book Club! =)

I just started reading a new book yesterday... but the description of this sounds pretty intriguing. Should I do this or should I finish the other book first? I say postpone the deadline for finishing it. School is also starting next week for most people, so there's not going to be much free time to read fiction.... but I'm interested.

Virginia's Woolf's suicide note is damn depressing. So bleak and resigned.

Try starting the book and see how you find it. You might like it more than I do. InshaAllah, I am going to continue reading in a bit. Perhaps reading off a computer is adding to the frustration.

And it was sad reading her suicide note and how she killed herself. It seems she had more than just depression if she was hearing voices.

I LOVE VIRGINIA WOOLF! You guys should read Mrs Dalloway too.

Been meaning to read To the lighthouse! But I'm already drowning in papers and assignments and have finals at the end of this month! So will inshaAllah read this during semester break!

Loving the idea of an MM Book Club! =)

Mrs Dalloway sounds familiar somehow. :unsure:

On 28 March 1941, Woolf put on her overcoat, filled its pockets with stones, and walked into the River Ouse near her home and drowned. Woolf's body was not found until 18 April 1941.[25] Her husband buried her cremated remains under an elm in the garden of Monk's House, their home in Rodmell, Sussex.

In her last note to her husband she wrote:

“ I feel certain that I am going mad again. I feel we can't go through another of those terrible times. And I shan't recover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I can't concentrate. So I am doing what seems the best thing to do. You have given me the greatest possible happiness. You have been in every way all that anyone could be. I don't think two people could have been happier 'til this terrible disease came. I can't fight any longer. I know that I am spoiling your life, that without me you could work. And you will I know. You see I can't even write this properly. I can't read. What I want to say is I owe all the happiness of my life to you. You have been entirely patient with me and incredibly good. I want to say that – everybody knows it. If anybody could have saved me it would have been you. Everything has gone from me but the certainty of your goodness. I can't go on spoiling your life any longer. I don't think two people could have been happier than we have been. V.

um, ok so i haven't actually started reading it yet :blush:

but i promise, insha Allah, to start reading it as soon as i get my computer back!

Try starting the book and see how you find it. You might like it more than I do. InshaAllah, I am going to continue reading in a bit. Perhaps reading off a computer is adding to the frustration.

And it was sad reading her suicide note and how she killed herself. It seems she had more than just depression if she was hearing voices.

Mrs Dalloway sounds familiar somehow. :unsure:

She had the bipolar, like most writers who commit suicide. Bipolar episodes are more likely to have psychotic features like hearing voices than ordinary depressions, and for someone who has no concept of Allah, living through such agony would be intolerable. It makes me so sad, suicide is so awful, the only comfort about people who kill themselves when they're mentally ill is that they won't be considered responsible for their actions, inshAllah.

I really hate reading long pieces on the computer, so maybe I'll check out a used bookstore for this book today. Although I do think we should lengthen the amount of time people have to read books in, some of us are miserable university students with little free time! (asides from procrastination time on MM).

True. This is the only reason I want to be a part of this book club. I really need to start reading books now that I'm more free.

The main reason I started this club was to help build out intellectual capabilities. Reading and analyzing classical works will not only give us social references for future use, but will help us in our writing and reading skills so that insha'Allah we can tackle bigger books without hesitation :)

So if we need another week that's fine. But we still have a week left. So try to do as much you as can then. If the majority still haven't finished then we will do another week.

That's something we can read later. It's a good plot driven book, but it's not a literary classic.

We want some badges for this books :P

I would say Tuesdays with Morrie is a classic! But a different sort of a classic, if that makes sense. I read all of Mitch Albom's books while on planes. I have no idea why, but they are plane-books.

We want some badges for this books

*these

for a thread about literature I must say your grammar is off. :ph34r:

Proof that I need to read more books!

(and spend a second reading what I write on this forum....)