Maniac Muslim Forums
Mo-

Jews for Allah

Jew= Judaism and Jew as in the other half of the semitic race.

Being born as a Jew or Indian or European is not something that any faith can erase.

I think you will find that non Muslims also take the father's name.

But Jews do not take the father's name, they follow the maternal lineage for ethnicity inheritance. You are only born a jew if your mother is a jew.

...and then there's still the question of everything I listed.

It isn't making sense to me. It's not about erasing heritage, it's about why would you hang on to a certain piece of heritage that once you are Muslim becomes obsolete? Or is it not obsolete?

I'm a Brahmin Muslim. They call us "Thullaka Brahman". It's an ethnicity, more than a religion. We still eat the same food, and a lot of our habits are very Brahmin. Nothing to be proud of, just a cultural tradition.

Well that's just plain wrong because you're inheriting from a Hindu caste system. Brahmin's were Hindu nobles or priests I think.

A lot of people will say it actually is something to be proud of by Hindu standards.

But Jews do not take the father's name, they follow the maternal lineage for ethnicity inheritance.

I know that they follow the geneology of Jewness from the mother(for obvious reasons) but I have never heard that they take the mother's name.

Asma can you confirm this?

You are only born a jew if your mother is a jew.

Your mother and father can be a Jew. And btw this "mother needs to be a Jew" is only to determine a "jew" in terms of the religious definition, or that is my impression.

It isn't making sense to me. It's not about erasing heritage, it's about why would you hang on to a certain piece of heritage that once you are Muslim becomes obsolete? Or is it not obsolete?

Then answer this, what is ethnic group of Musa and 'lilms'?

You are only born a jew if your mother is a jew.

Your mother and father can be a Jew. And btw this "mother needs to be a Jew" is only to determine a "jew" in terms of the religious definition, or that is my impression. In Israel I think they do a DNA test to find out if you are a Jew or not.

I know that they follow the geneology of Jewness from the mother(for obvious reasons) but I have never heard that they take the mother's name.

Asma can you confirm this?

Anyways my point is that the "islamic" method of tracing leniege is used by most non Jewish westerners.

Your mother and father can be a Jew. And btw this "mother needs to be a Jew" is only to determine a "jew" in terms of the religious definition, or that is my impression. In Israel I think they do a DNA test to find out if you are a Jew or not.

They're American obviously. White americans (assuming lilms is white, I think she is). What is the difference between them and any average white person (apart from Islam).

Your point that the Islamic method of tracing lineage is used by most NON JEWISH westerners, is also the point I am trying to make.

But Jews do not take the father's name, they follow the maternal lineage for ethnicity inheritance. You are only born a jew if your mother is a jew.

...and then there's still the question of everything I listed.

They inherit being Jewish regardless of parents, many Jews only have Jewish fathers and are raised by Jewish standards by their fathers, they inherit the facial features, hair, etc.

I don't really think it would be obsolete, you aren't going to stop eating food that is permissable or wearing clothes that are permissible or celebratog celebrations that are permissible and were part of your cultural inheritance because you became adherent to Islam.

Edit: I think it's only the direct religious inheritance that can only come from your mother.

I wouldn't really call Jew by itself as ethnicity, though it's not entirely wrong either. But you'd have to be more specific than just Jew if you're going for ethnicity. e.g. Ashkenazi Jews come from Europe, whereas Sephardic Jews from the Middle East. Then there are Kurdish, Yemeni and some East African ethnicities that are also Jewish by religion.

But yes, it does make sense to call someone a Jewish Muslim. Jewish by ethnicity, Muslim by religion. A lot of (not all) Jewish ethnicities did originate from the Middle East, so it's not implausible even to say someone is a 'Jew' by culture/ethnicity for simplicity's sake (by simplicity I mean ignoring the qualification of what kind of Jew; Ashkenazi, Sephardic, etc.).

As for the mother passing down her name to a Jewish child, that's not true at all. Mothers only pass down identity of 'Jew', and that identity remains throughout, regardless of religious observance.

So yes you can be a Jew (Sephardic, Ashkenazi, Kurdish etc.) who is a Muslim.

I wouldn't really call Jew by itself as ethnicity, though it's not entirely wrong either.

I'm not asking about right or wrong, just trying to understand the ethnicity in regards to the issues I mentioned.

They're American obviously. White americans (assuming lilms is white, I think she is). What is the difference between them and any average white person (apart from Islam).

Your point that the Islamic method of tracing lineage is used by most NON JEWISH westerners, is also the point I am trying to make.

So they are ethnically American? (American is not an ethnic identifier)

It is really simple, the human race is generally divided into different races, one of those is the Semitic racial group. As far as I know only 3 groups of people come from that race,

1. Jews

2. Arabs

3. at the time of Carthage they were semites as well.

So if someone can come and say I am an Arab Muslim, then a Jew Muslim is nothing different.

A lot of (not all) Jewish ethnicities did originate from the Middle East, so it's not implausible even to say someone is a 'Jew' by culture/ethnicity for simplicity's sake (by simplicity I mean ignoring the qualification of what kind of Jew; Ashkenazi, Sephardic, etc.).

This is wrong, those groups are more cultural because when they were enslaved they were sent to different parts of the Roman empire and thus they developed different cultural and sometimes religious customs.

I guess I just understand ethnicity differently. Ethnically I am indian/pakistani. My food, clothes, looks, language, culture (non-religious), all differs from most others.

Well that's just plain wrong because you're inheriting from a Hindu caste system. Brahmin's were Hindu nobles or priests I think.

A lot of people will say it actually is something to be proud of by Hindu standards.

Freelancer, it's not just a Hindu caste system, it's actually an ethnic division. I was horrified to hear of the Brahmin connection, but it slowly grew on me, as I started understanding what the implications were. You can actually tell who a Brahmin, regular Hindu, other caste person is just by looking at them. Like in terms of bone structure, facial features, customs, language, lineage, ancestry, it's exactly consistent with "regular" Brahmin Hindus. The only thing missing is the religious affiliations. Although you originally come from a predominantly Muslim place in India, you, too, probably can trace your ancestry back to Hindus (probably married to Arabs/etc), but since everyone became Muslim, your ancestry is almost Muslim, if that makes any sense.

Why should it be wrong that I'm inheriting something from my ancestors? That's the weirdest thing you've ever said. It actually made me laugh. :P I'm not saying I'm Hindu, I'm saying that I have Tamil Brahmin blood in my veins which makes me look the way I do.

So they are ethnically American? (American is not an ethnic identifier)

It is really simple, the human race is generally divided into different races, one of those is the Semitic racial group. As far as I know only 3 groups of people come from that race,

1. Jews

2. Arabs

3. at the time of Carthage they were semites as well.

So if someone can come and say I am an Arab Muslim, then a Jew Muslim is nothing different.

Assyrians and Chaldeans are also Semitic groups who still exist today, with their own language and culture.

Assyrians and Chaldeans are also Semitic groups who still exist today, with their own language and culture.

thanks for that, I didn't know. :)

I'm thinking that there is a 'Jewish' culture, (that is separate to religion). And when you become Muslim, you retain that culture much in the same way that we retain our 'Indian'/'Pakistani'/'desi' culture.

So in that way lilms and Moose bhai are jewish muslims.