Maniac Muslim Forums
Mo-

Jews for Allah

Why should it be wrong that I'm inheriting something from my ancestors? That's the weirdest thing you've ever said. It actually made me laugh. :P I'm not saying I'm Hindu, I'm saying that I have Tamil Brahmin blood in my veins which makes me look the way I do.

Because not everything you inherit from your ancestors is right. And Brahmin is exclusively part of a hindu caste system. If not hindu, then it's part of a caste system. Both of which Islam does not condone.

I'm thinking that there is a 'Jewish' culture, (that is separate to religion). And when you become Muslim, you retain that culture much in the same way that we retain our 'Indian'/'Pakistani'/'desi' culture.

Okay so that's my question, what does the jewish culture entail?

food.

Is the food much different than arab food? And is there anything else that is exclusively part of jewish culture?

Because not everything you inherit from your ancestors is right. And Brahmin is exclusively part of a hindu caste system. If not hindu, then it's part of a caste system. Both of which Islam does not condone.

Okay so that's my question, what does the jewish culture entail?

Food, dress, wedding style, language, history.

Its not really similar to Arabic culture to be honest, Jewish food is quite different, I mean arabic food between arabic people varies even. Same with dress, weddings, language and history even :)

Food, dress, wedding style, language, history.

Its not really similar to Arabic culture to be honest, Jewish food is quite different, I mean arabic food between arabic people varies even. Same with dress, weddings, language and history even :)

From what I know, wedding style is religious. As is the language.

As for dress? I have never known of a cultural jewish dress.

But this all goes back to the hadith saying to not do as the jews do.

From what I know, wedding style is religious. As is the language.

As for dress? I have never known of a cultural jewish dress.

But this all goes back to the hadith saying to not do as the jews do.

Wedding style isn't really religious, Arab weddings and Pakistani weddings are very different things. Different food served, different entertainment (style of jokes etc.).

How can language be limited to religion except if its only used liturgically? Hebrew and Yiddish are still spoken by some people.

That hadith would be taken in the context of religious aspects, such as dealings with other nations.

That hadith would be taken in the context of religious aspects, such as dealings with other nations.

+1

Wedding style isn't really religious, Arab weddings and Pakistani weddings are very different things. Different food served, different entertainment (style of jokes etc.).

How can language be limited to religion except if its only used liturgically? Hebrew and Yiddish are still spoken by some people.

Arab/Paki weddings are in common religiously, but different culturally. Jewish marriages are religiously different.

This is the interpretation of hadith:

Therefore, it can be stated that “Prohibition of Imitation” of the non-Muslims comes into effect in one of two ways:

(1) Either through one’s directing oneself in imitating them, of his own accord, with the intention of being like them, or

(2) Through imitation of something religiously or otherwise unique to them, in a way that would allow an onlooker to consider one as “one of them”.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?id=14033

At least sunnipath says that if you imitate with the intention of being like them, then it is prohibited.

Arab/Paki weddings are in common religiously, but different culturally. Jewish marriages are religiously different.

At least sunnipath says that if you imitate with the intention of being like them, then it is prohibited.

Jewish marriages are also culturally different, under Islamic law regardless practicing Jews are regarded dhimmis and Ahl-lul-kitab and therefore their marriages are considered legitimate. However, if a Jewish person of Jewish heritage was a Muslim, the wedding would follow through with the nikah etc., but the wedding celebration itself would have Jewish aspects (and Jewish guests too).

Being of an ethnicity does not prohibit you religiously, that is like when many uneducated Muslims think European and Far-Eastern people cannot be Muslim and that Islam is limited to brown and black people. The imitation of a religious practice the Jewish faith has, such as Sabbath as a non-work day and religious holidays is haram yes, because it is the adherence to the Jewish faiths believes.

Once someone becomes a Muslim they are no longer of their old religion, but they still have the ethnic tradition that has been passed down for generations.

Also that is not 'the' interpretation, it is 'an' interpretation.

Jewish marriages are also culturally different, under Islamic law regardless practicing Jews are regarded dhimmis and Ahl-lul-kitab and therefore their marriages are considered legitimate. However, if a Jewish person of Jewish heritage was a Muslim, the wedding would follow through with the nikah etc., but the wedding celebration itself would have Jewish aspects (and Jewish guests too).

Being of an ethnicity does not prohibit you religiously, that is like when many uneducated Muslims think European and Far-Eastern people cannot be Muslim and that Islam is limited to brown and black people. The imitation of a religious practice the Jewish faith has, such as Sabbath as a non-work day and religious holidays is haram yes, because it is the adherence to the Jewish faiths believes.

Once someone becomes a Muslim they are no longer of their old religion, but they still have the ethnic tradition that has been passed down for generations.

Also that is not 'the' interpretation, it is 'an' interpretation.

Jews and christians are both considered disbelievers. The hadith doesn't make a selection between their religious or cultural habits.

I defer to the Sahabah. There were jewish Sahabah, and as far as I know, did not have any "jewish" practice after converting.

Jews and christians are both considered disbelievers. The hadith doesn't make a selection between their religious or cultural habits.

I defer to the Sahabah. There were jewish Sahabah, and as far as I know, did not have any "jewish" practice after converting.

There isn't really such thing as Christian culture, unless you count the huge parades for commemorating Christian Saints.

And no, Jews and Christians are regarded as People of the Book, the Qu'ran refers to them as this.

Why would The Prophet (SAW) hold any discrimination against any ethnicity? It is clearly referring to the Jewish faith, as the Prophet (SAW) was respectful to all people regardless of ethnic background and viewed them equally.

The Jewish Sahabah were Arabs, names such as 'Abdullah ibn Sailam' are quite clearly Arabic. The culture they had was Arabic, not Jewish.