Maniac Muslim Forums
Mo-

Spirited Away (2001)

Has anybody else here watched Spirited Away? I watched it quite a while ago but finally watched it again after such a long time. It is by far one of the best movies I have ever seen. Just the ideas inside of it fascinate me, like how the greed and materialisms of the parents turned them into physical pigs and how it tormented their daughter, stuff like that.

Anyhow, if you haven't watched the film I think you should, its a lovely story for anyone.

The only bad side in the movie is what they referred to as "God's", but whenever stories use Japanese folklore I just tend to view them as Jinn opposed to deities of the people.

Has anybody else here watched Spirited Away?

of course

I watched it quite a while ago but finally watched it again after such a long time. It is by far one of the best movies I have ever seen. Just the ideas inside of it fascinate me, like how the greed and materialisms of the parents turned them into physical pigs and how it tormented their daughter, stuff like that.

Anyhow, if you haven't watched the film I think you should, its a lovely story for anyone.

The only bad side in the movie is what they referred to as "God's", but whenever stories use Japanese folklore I just tend to view them as Jinn opposed to deities.

It's a good film. But I wouldn't call it the best ever. Of course it is subjective.

Most if not all Studio Ghibli films are worthwhile to watch. They're my Dad's favourite films, including Porco Rosso and Grave of The Fireflies.

just gonna say, i signed in because i saw this thread :rolleyes:

this is my favorite movie of allll time. i can watch this over and over and never get bored. theres just so much detail in the movie! lol "gods"/"spirits" same thing, for the japanese culture. the one spirit that she had to unplug with all the dirt was really creepy :blink: it was like a old man face lol.

but haku and chihiro :wub: too cute.

my favorite will always be the soot sprites lol

victory-mouse-w-soot-sprites-o.gif

tumblr_lctbjrZMpV1qdjn8qo1_250.gif

coalsprites.gif

edit (this is my 5th edit i think): my favorites

Spirited Away

My Neighbor Totoro

Princess Mononoke

Howl's Moving Castle

Grave of the Fireflies

and then theres 5 cm per second, but i don't think thats Ghibli lol

k im done.

I saw this film a few years ago and still love it to pieces.

I don't think I ever saw an animated scene that captured the feeling of emotional detachment, isolation and loneliness in a crowd of people this well. It's the train scene where Chihiro is travelling with No Face, and she's watching those shadowed figures going about their journey. They're faceless, transparent silhouettes-- more like ghosts-- and there seems to be no emotion, life or soul in them. They're all one being that is trying to get from A to B, and they seem to disappear into nothingness.

I always saw it as a reflection of reality. When you travel, whether by train or bus, you'll imagine that everyone has barriers around them into their own worlds that others can't enter, whether they're looking down at their phone, reading, writing, looking out the window, or sleeping. People don't talk to or greet each other. We're all just trying to get somewhere. Those things don't matter, right? They may as well all be the same person because we'll never see them again, we wont even remember their faces. As a travelling person, you're not so much a passenger as you are a part of the scenery itself.

While the human figures are busy moving along and everyone is leaving, there's a little girl who is just standing there completely alone, staring at the train;

paul.jpg

And it looks strange and striking as an image. Nobody is asking her if she's okay or where her carers are, she's just stuck there waiting and the whole thing is so still, fragile and perpetual. And as off as it looks, you see this all the time, and you walk past it without realising or paying attention. You walk past homeless, lost and lonely people all the time. Yet, more-often-than-not, one thing just molds into another when you're trying to get from A to B.

This scene is only a couple of minutes long with no dialogue whatsoever, but there is so much to it. I think it's my favourite scene in the film. I find it profound and interesting visually, sonically and conceptually.