Maniac Muslim Forums
EmJay

....Salam?

MuslimahJedi, mine sister! Walikumasalaam! I am so pumped to have a fellow Star Wars fan on board! Such a fine introduction, yet one key piece is missing: what color is your saber crystal?

Wa alaikum assalaam and welcome to MM! Very interesting Intro thread. I hope you enjoy your stay here and post lots (..like Musa lol) :flower:

Salam and welcome!

Are you also a LOTR fan by any chance?

I sure am. Isn't gollum soooooooo adorable? :flower:

MuslimahJedi, mine sister! Walikumasalaam! I am so pumped to have a fellow Star Wars fan on board! Such a fine introduction, yet one key piece is missing: what color is your saber crystal?

Salam :)

Yellow!

Oh and double-bladed lightsaber of course! :D

Double bladed? So either you're an exquisitely skilled Jedi in training...or you're a Sith Lord, like Darth Maul!

Do tell the extent of your fandom, mine sister. Have you been to a convention? Which is your favorite Star Wars movie? Did you write 'Jedi' for your religion in the latest US census?

Double bladed? So either you're an exquisitely skilled Jedi in training...or you're a Sith Lord, like Darth Maul!

Do tell the extent of your fandom, mine sister. Have you been to a convention? Which is your favorite Star Wars movie? Did you write 'Jedi' for your religion in the latest US census?

LOL My baba never let me go to the Comicon conventions! :cry: Something along the lines of we are Muslims blah blah blah. My favorite star wars MovieS are actually the Phantom Menace and Star wars Episode 3. Ha, I'm Canadian - so no US census for me. If I could, I would of written 'Muslim'. Islam precedes in my life over everything else :D <3

Those who subscribe to 'jediism' should just convert to Islam, it'll be better for them :P

Oooh! Don't worry about those awesome conventions. InshAllah, you'll get to go to one with your hubby or something like that! They're pretty cool, but I wouldn't say they're mindblowing or anything. Definitely something you should do, however, if you love Star Wars. And why did you like those installments of the Star Wars saga? And have you seen the Clone Wars TV show? Even though it's for kids, you get to meet Anakin's padawan, which I thought was totally awesome.

I put 'Muslim' and wrote 'Jedi sect' in parenthesis. Hopefully they'll know that means I'm Hanafi!

MuslimahJedi, welcome!

Oh just to expose Musa, what he really said was :

'' Lmao, tell oxy that she's just afraid now that someone else as cool as me is coming (thereby decreasing her coolness level) ...not that I'm calling you cool. "cool" is not really a word to describe a blogger. Okay sorry! I joke. But I'm actually insulting myself in there as well.''

So rest assure, he 'uncool'-ed himself by default. :/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

why thank you! i am much cooler than him!

and btw you don't actually have to waste your time and relay messages for us. i can contact him directly.

and he was never cool.

:lol: :lol: :lol: +76

Oooh! Don't worry about those awesome conventions. InshAllah, you'll get to go to one with your hubby or something like that! They're pretty cool, but I wouldn't say they're mindblowing or anything. Definitely something you should do, however, if you love Star Wars. And why did you like those installments of the Star Wars saga? And have you seen the Clone Wars TV show? Even though it's for kids, you get to meet Anakin's padawan, which I thought was totally awesome.

I put 'Muslim' and wrote 'Jedi sect' in parenthesis. Hopefully they'll know that means I'm Hanafi!

AMEEN. My hubby better be a fellow star wars fan haha. I liked those installments better for a few reasons :

1. I was 5 when the Episode 1 came out. So you could say it was the first movie I've watched (didn't watch 4,5 and 6 beforehand) and the beginning of my star wars fanaticism haha.

2. It revolves around Anakin's childhood and focuses on the righteousness of the Jedis and the prosperity of the Jedi order (before the downfall of the jedis after Anakin turns to the dark side on Episode 3)

3. I prefer the setting in general over the whole 'luke-leia' focus on the last 3 episodes.

4. All of the 3 first episodes (1,2,3 that is) make me cry

^I know, lame.

I've actually mentioned on my blog why I love Star Wars so much LOL. I'll quote it here :

Growing up I watched two type of movies : Horror and SciFi. (Side note : I used to be really scared by movies like the exorcist and that chucky doll but by the age of 7, I grew an immunity to them). I hated most sci fi movies except one. Star Wars. How I loved Star Wars, I used to pray that I reached Jannah to go to '' Jedi School'' and own a light saber. I owned that car race Starwars Nitendo 64 game (later on Xbox and Xbox 360 star wars games). Padme was my female hero (I thought she wore hijab). When my mother took us out shopping, she had to skip the ''boys toys'' aisle knowing we'd spend hours trying out the starwars gadget and toys there.

Our love for starwars wasn't a shallow one. After 9/11 especially my brothers, cousins and I felt that Jedis were the only ones that could understand us. Why? I made a list of similarities between Jedis and Muslims. By the way, there are millions of articles online that compare muslims to Jedis so I'm going to save myself sometime and make this short and to the point.

The lightsaber and the Battle of Badr

This is something I learned later on ; the creator of Star Wars, George Lucas, had the idea of the lightsaber based on the beautiful battle of Badr when the Muslims were greatly outnumbered and Allah swt sent down a thousand angels to fight with them against their enemies. Every time a Muslim was about to kill his enemy, he would find the enemy slayed. After the battle, the Muslims knew which enemies were killed by them and which were killed by the angels. The ones killed by the angels had a very clean cut wound with a burn mark. George explained that after reading that, he wanted to recreate that weapon.

The way of life

Of a Jedi is so similar of that of a Muslim. Discipline , control of the Nafs (self), the greeting every time you see a Jedi (May the Force be With you), their ''madrassa'', their spiritual selves and trying out every way to resolve a conflict before drawing out the warriors inside them and maintaining peace and Justice. They strive to do what we as Muslims strive to do : Stay away from hypocrisy, by never breaking a promise, and acting on what they believe in. Jedis like Muslims, do not discriminate between young and old, female and male, black and white. Something we should remember as Muslims ; it is never ''too soon'' to practice this beautiful way of life we have. Did Usama Zayd not fight at the age of 15? Did he not lead a whole army at the age of 20?

Modesty

They wear the ''Jalaba'' (loose north African robe) which covers the whole body and stays above the ankle of a man. Most sport beards. Of course they have muscles that they could ''show off'' while fighting with a cool-ass weapon but they choose to cover themselves out of humbleness and humility.

Siths and the extremists + Adultery/Zinah

Like us, Jedis have their fair share of extremists known as Siths. Once upon a time Jedis, they strayed away from the straight path by - and pay attention - giving in to the self and greed (power). Jedis , use the force exclusively to protect others. Siths use it to corrupt, kill and gain power. They commit great acts of terrorism (Like Darth Vader (Ex-''Muslim'' Anakin) destroying a whole planet). Based off these extremists, the population of the galaxies that once praised these peaceful lions (Jedis) as being their protector quickly shunned them away and sought their extinction (killing, exiling and otherwise).

I really want to point out how Anakin turned to the Dark side. He had dreams of Padme (the love of his life) dying giving birth because he could not use the force to save her. For Jedis, dreams prophecies events of the future. Instead of understanding that all lives come to an end, that whatever the force wills it shall be, Anakin became desperate and wanted to fight destiny and save her. He was promised that the life of his wife (that he secretly married) will be saved if he becomes a Sith. He gave in to the dark side (and even killed the children training to become jedis), Padme still gave birth and died.

Adultery/Zina

Is totally forbidden in the Jedi ways. It is not tolerated and anyone who commits adultery is exiled. To beautifully put it :

No, love is not forbidden. The only thing that is

forbidden is attachment.

Attachment leads to the fear of loss...

This leads to a hunger for the power to prevent

loss...

This leads to the darkside....

(someone in a Jedi Forum I used to frequent wrote the following)

That is why Anakin secretly married Padme.

Misunderstood and conspiracy theories

Probably the easiest one. Very strong when Anakin becomes a Sith. The senator (who was secretly a Sith) propagated falsehood about the Jedis and planted the seed of fear and hatred in the hearts of the people. His agenda, was to get the world rid of the people who he fears most because of their righteousness. The citizens of the galaxies did not believe at first, but ''events'' of terrorism perpetrated by Jedis (who were really Siths posing as Jedis) made them think the worst of their ''once upon a time saviors''. The senator was the one who guided Anakin to the dark side , yet to others he painted Anakin as a ''Jedi Threat''.

And LOL! No if you put 'Muslim' and 'Jedi' it means Shafi'i - sorry to break it to you :P

And omg hope I didn't embarrass myself too much with my explanation of Jedis as I see it - LOOOOOOL!

MuslimahJedi, those are some excellent reasons! I'm sold on your mix of sentimentality and cinematic criticism, and mashAllah!

Star Wars is one the few movies a favorite Shaykh of mine is rumored to watch with his kids, so that's what got me hooked in the first place.

Anyway, I think my favorite overall is The Empire Strikes Back. Yes, I know there's the weird Luke/Leia vibe, but there's so much wonderful tension that gets set up. We start to figure out the motivations of the characters and the limits of their abilities. We more deeply understand the underlying course of the whole series. &c.

My favorite of the new ones is Episode III. I agree that Episode I had a bunch of cool stuphph--especially an old-fashioned chariot race and the interesting correlations between Islam and Star Wars that you draw. Episode I even has a special draw because it's when all my friends finally agreed with me about Natalie Portman. But that wonderful film is forever screwed up for me because of Jar Jar Binks.

Episode III is very sad, indeed. But many questions are answered and the CG--especially that opening battle scene--is breathtaking. Superior stuphph.

And I've already read your wonderful blog post about the Jedi! I commented on it three days ago (Levitation is for Sissies), mine sister. Also, have you seen the Clone Wars cartoon yet? They already have two seasons of it, and it's really interesting stuphph, in my opinion.

As for mine sister what the heavens!, I appreciate your thoughts, but I am unfit for marriage and unwilling to convert to Christianity.

I hear wedding bells for MuslimahJedi and GR.

What in the heavens are you talking about...