Maniac Muslim Forums
robomatic

Islam and the Theory of Evolution

@zakman: Yep, and these are the same people that are now claiming the Qur'an says the earth is flat. <_<

Weren't the remains' genes examined, though? They believe they were human because their DNA structure is similar to ours. But I don't dispute the possibility that they could have been creatures separate from us, that's pretty interesting. As r-z said, they don't have to have come from Adam like we did. And as Pomak said, 'maybe' is the key word here. I guess all we can do is keep speculating and wait.

When they find some huge bones I'm going to be buzzing. :)

Some parts of evolution is true, such as bacteria changing from their previous state in order to live and survive in a certain area but not everything that the non Muslims say about evolution is true. Do you remember how they discovered that the earth is an egg shaped and then tried telling us the sun doesn't move at all?

I think there is a misconception going around where people think that evolution disproves that Allah exists, well that is not true, it only shows The Way of Allah (Sunnata'Allah)

All evolution is, is the change of ability to live in a certain environment. One thing is for sure, Humans did not evolve from monkeys. A lot of non Muslims exaggerate the truth.

yeah humans did not evolve from monkeys or apes, they evolved from common ancestors of humanoids.

Usama Hasan has taken BACK his view on human evolution and rejects it and says it contradicts Islam, check his latest post on it.

So why is he running to all the newspapers and saying 'waaa I'm getting death threats and I was forced to take back my view'? ._.

Usama Hasan has taken BACK his view on human evolution and rejects it and says it contradicts Islam, check his latest post on it.

So he, as a scientist, has moderated his view because of what other people have forced him to do rather than the evidence presented? Not the most impressive thing I've heard of.

Could you please post a link? I've run a quick google search but couldn't find his post retracting his previous statement.

^ I'd like to see this as well. Shame that this is what has happened. If he really did get death threats, though, that's pretty ridiculous. :huh:

We don't actually know how many people Nuh (AS) took with him on his Ark, it wasn't just his three sons. They must have had wives, or numerous wives, probably there were other people who accompanied Nuh who weren't related to him. That is a reasonable explanation for the different heights of people and different subspecies of 'homo'.

Also, the fact that Nuh reportedly spent 1000 years of his life simply making da'wah to his people, who knows how much time he spent living? Going by this it may well be true in antedeluvian times people lived for millenia, and whats to say that there weren't more great floods after Nuh? The amount of Prophets and examples of Allahs world-changing power that have not been recorded in the Qu'ran is said to be huge. Maybe our history ranging back to Ibrahim (AS) is relatively 'modern history' in comparison from now until Adams (AS) time.

As homosapiens there is innumerable amounts of knowledge we do not know, as I remember correctly, the only true form of evolution was by natural selection and any changes in genome was a mutation; and mutations are what create cancers or birth disorders, scientists have yet to prove evolution by mutation.

Another idea is that neandrathals, etc., are peoples Allah has punished by giving them a great disease. Allah did turn some Jews into primates and swine.

I had this idea but im not sure if it is true.

I read about Allah SWT turning a nation of people who fell astray into apes. Now, if we are finding half human neanderthals fossil remains, what if...its that.

Edit: Mo said it before me. <_<

As homosapiens there is innumerable amounts of knowledge we do not know, as I remember correctly, the only true form of evolution was by natural selection and any changes in genome was a mutation; and mutations are what create cancers or birth disorders, scientists have yet to prove evolution by mutation.

This honestly seems like a hope rather than an honest arguement against evolution. (evolution does not negate 'bad evolution')

So he, as a scientist, has moderated his view because of what other people have forced him to do rather than the evidence presented? Not the most impressive thing I've heard of.

Could you please post a link? I've run a quick google search but couldn't find his post retracting his previous statement.

^ I'd like to see this as well. Shame that this is what has happened. If he really did get death threats, though, that's pretty ridiculous. :huh:

http://unity1.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/a-further-clarification-and-retraction/

He hasn't retracted his belief, just clarified a few of the statements he made, and apologised for previous inflamatory staatements.

I spoke with Usama Hasan about evolution a few years ago, before the current hullabaloo surrounding his imamship at Masjid Tawheed. Effectively, his reading of science, and of evolution in particular, has led him to believe (perhaps not unreasionably) that evolution does not necessarily contradict Islamic teachings. Having done some (far from exhaustive) research on the topic, I am generally indifferent towards a 'reconcilliation' between Islam and evoltuion. Indifferent because I don't see anything in Islam which specifically teaches against it, nor do I think that it is a particularly important for Muslims to dwell on.

That said, a few of my favourite writers (such as Rene Guenon, Gai Eaton etc) were staunchly opposed to the idea of evolution, seeing it as an affront to the unique nature of Adamic creation and as an exercise in reducing all things to the material domain. But in the face of the overwhelming scientific opinion, is such a view really tenable? One thing I would say, however, is that the notion of unguided evoltuion (a series of random fortuitous mutations begining with abiogenesis and ending with human conciousnes) does seem extremely unlikely. Mutations, even from a linguistic point of view, entails something deleterious and abnormal; certainly not beneficial. Scientifically, in the majority of cases, mutations are unfavourable.

I think the reason why so many Muslims have a problem with evolution is because it has been hijacked by various 'new atheist' types who are hell bent on presenting it as a 'belief'. The very question "Do you BELIEVE in evolution?" immediately gives rise to the thought that it is competing belief that must be accepted or rejected. Taking the former option would, therefore, lead to the rejection of faith in religion, and specifically Islam. The reality is far more nuanced than that.

I have so much more to say on this topic. Later, inshaalah.

This honestly seems like a hope rather than an honest arguement against evolution. (evolution does not negate 'bad evolution')

Devolution and evolution are two separate things, the concept of evolution is an organisms survivability mechanisms improving to suit it's ecosystem better.

I think the reason why so many Muslims have a problem with evolution is because it has been hijacked by various 'new atheist' types who are hell bent on presenting it as a 'belief'. The very question "Do you BELIEVE in evolution?" immediately gives rise to the thought that it is competing belief that must be accepted or rejected. Taking the former option would, therefore, lead to the rejection of faith in religion, and specifically Islam. The reality is far more nuanced than that.

+10

Hi

Those who want know about the theory of evolution and Islam, you must read the book, ISLAMIC THEORY OF EVOLUTION The Missing LInk Between Darwin and The Origin of Species, by T.O.Shanavas. He argue logically and with reference that there is no conflict between Islam and the theory of evolution. In fact, Shanavas says that Muslims first proposed the theory of evolution centuries before Darwin. Anyone who read this book will have a different perspective of Islam. It is an outstanding book. Shanavas is Muslim evolutionist. There is a chapter in the book that explains that Adam was created on the earth not in Paradise. He supports this view by literal reading of the Qur'an. I am convinced with his argument and if you are an open minded person you will be convinced also. Shanavas supports every point of his view with external reference that anyone can verify.

robert683105, Shanavas is interesting, but appears uneducated in the hadith sciences. I prefer my laughs from Tom and Jerry, my hadith analysis from the scholars of Islam, and my physicals from MDs.

robert683105, Shanavas is interesting, but appears uneducated in the hadith sciences. I prefer my laughs from Tom and Jerry, my hadith analysis from the scholars of Islam, and my physicals from MDs.

>>>>Hello

It is pertinent here to point out that shanavas, being an MD, gives quite a few medical evidences in his book for evolution about which the Hadith scholars are probably ignorant. Those medical and other evidences for evolution were not even known on the days of Bukhari, Muslim and others. Moreover, my Muslim friends tell me that most contemporary Imams and Islamic scholars are illiterate in scientific matters. They tell me that most of Imams in USA are imported from countries where free press is practically non-existent.

My Muslim college mates point out to me that human reasoning is very important in Islam unlike other religions. When certain belief systems are discredited or argued against with logic and reason, many Muslims, instead of providing logical and evidence-based counterargument, use the "he-is-not-a-scholar" argument. I get frustrated. I am requesting you, please help me. If you have, please provide me with evidence-based logical argument against Shanavas' point of view so that I can make my own conclusion. Thanks.