Maniac Muslim Forums
*cheeky monkey*

My Brother the Islamist

yeah i saw this. Rich was very rude in my opinion. Allah forgive me if i'm wrong but what kind of dawah is it when you make the recipient feel so uncomfortable and unworthy.

edit: May Allah guide us all to become better muslims

Because I can't be bothered to reply, I'll just copypasta my related Facebook comments on other pages...

'A badly edited, biased propaganda documentary from the BBC. Even sadder to see above comments sucking it up...

Yes, al-Muhajirun are incorrect in their methodology and their lack of hikmah when talking about issues we AGREE with. But don't s...tart going all flippant and disassociating yourselves with blind rhetoric when one of our OWN has been attacked and vilified.

You all say you are the Ummah of the Prophet (sal Allaahu 'alayhi wassalam) but do very little to protect one another or their honour. Have some Hikmah.'

'And sadly, this is what happens when one does not study the deen in a balanced way such as the way of the Salaf us Saliheen. You end up neglecting parts of the deen and emphasising others. Let me remind anyone thinking that this is an attractive way to give da'wah that Anjem Choudary never studied the deen, does not understand or speak Arabic nor has any authorisation to speak on these issues. As far as I know, his only qualification is a secular Law degree. And Allaah knows best.'

'Now that we've seen that rubbish... time to steer the discussion if I may: what can we do as Muslims to rectify such mistakes made and to get our views and issues heard to the wider public? I doubt those brothers on the TV didn't give genuine da'wah (as much as it pains me to say it) because that wouldn't make sensationalist BBC news. I mean what commoner doesn't wanna know how 'extremists' act behind the scenes? :)'

'‎^ With all due respect, we don't know whether the BBC hasn't been sneaky in the way they edited and selected scenes from that documentary. When you see a Muslim doing wrong, you advise them with sometihng called hikmah (wisdom) to honour t...hem. If you want to be part of the da'wah, if you want to be part of the change headed by the deen, then it would be best if you looked at how editing works in broadcasting and screenwriting.

I am not a fan of al-Muhajirun (or Mojos as we call 'em in uni), but no Muslim disagrees with what they're standing for, ie the frustration that every Muslim feels when their lands are being raped and pillaged by Imperalist armies (the UK and US armies for example), but they sadly don't have the hikmah to present those issues without making us look silly. But the fact is, let's get over this 'I have to look good for the non-Muslim' mentality because they don't care what type of Muslim you are - the newspapers and Parliament hate us all equally. Just open the Guardian and see what sort of articles they subtly put in to represent Islam. Or recent BBC (blatent government mouthpiece) news reports to do with Islam.

My two cents. As-salamu 'alakum.'

And on the shaking hands thing (as if the BBC hasn't disgraced our brother enough - and by the way people who know him say he isn't as stupid as they make him about to be, he is known to be a gentle, knowledgeable brother now considering that was filmed LAST YEAR)...

'That is the first time I've heard or something like that. From the Majmoo of Shaykh ibn Uthaymeen, 3/36: If he holds out his hand to shake hands with you, then hold out your hand too, but do not initiate the handshake.

Doesn't say anything ...about left hands or right hands.'

Also, apparently that guy sold that documentary for the BBC. Maybe the brother didn't know he was being set up for a documentary?

I agree a lot with what was said on here though:

http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f18/my-brother-the-islamist-new-documentary-44408/index8.html#post456692

It was hilarious! This is the first time that the absolute hilarity of one of these tacky documentaries 'exposing' Muslims hasn't made me angry- in fact I just found it hysterical!

The documentary-maker was so blatantly not bothered his brother 'the Islamist' had shunned him- he just thought it was an easy way to get a cheap documentary out of his niche position of having his brother become a Muslim.

As for Richard himself- may Allah bless him- you guys should go easy! He's not been a Muslim for a very long time and it is VERY normal at the beginning of your 'journey' and learning cycle to go right to some other 'extreme' where you find comfort in the exclusionist black and white mould. I can almost guarantee you that in a couple of years time he would have left the Islam4UK crowd (insha'Allah) and the more he mixes with different kinds of Muslims, the better balance and understanding he'll gain from it. God knows I was bouncing off every different strand of 'persuasion' of Islam when I first started practising.

But in conclusion- one of the most comical Islamophobic pieces in a long while! Just wanna lol thinking about it!

If Allah willed He would of guided his brother to Islam regardless of his brothers action and plus remember Richard is still your brother in Islam, if you have something to say, say it to his face.

Better to advise and help him rather than help shaytan against him.

I have not watched this, but the left hand right hand thing sounds to me like its doing the opposite of what you would do with a muslim, As we are taught to shake hands with the right hand, also to pass food to the right with the right hand etc, we wash the right hand first in wudu etc, Maybe he is offering the left hand as an attempt to dissrespect him soemhow and show him he is a kaffir or something?.

I have never heard of this shaking left hands before i wouldnt shake somebodys hand with my left hand, if he didnt want to shake it with the proper right hand why shake it atall? it sounds strange to me.

Salam

It was hilarious! This is the first time that the absolute hilarity of one of these tacky documentaries 'exposing' Muslims hasn't made me angry- in fact I just found it hysterical!

The documentary-maker was so blatantly not bothered his brother 'the Islamist' had shunned him- he just thought it was an easy way to get a cheap documentary out of his niche position of having his brother become a Muslim.

As for Richard himself- may Allah bless him- you guys should go easy! He's not been a Muslim for a very long time and it is VERY normal at the beginning of your 'journey' and learning cycle to go right to some other 'extreme' where you find comfort in the exclusionist black and white mould. I can almost guarantee you that in a couple of years time he would have left the Islam4UK crowd (insha'Allah) and the more he mixes with different kinds of Muslims, the better balance and understanding he'll gain from it. God knows I was bouncing off every different strand of 'persuasion' of Islam when I first started practising.

But in conclusion- one of the most comical Islamophobic pieces in a long while! Just wanna lol thinking about it!

And if he doesn't? We have an aussie guy here who recently was interviewed by 60 minutes and he spewed all the ISlam4UK rubbish...and he has been muslim for over a decade.

If Allah willed He would of guided his brother to Islam regardless of his brothers action and plus remember Richard is still your brother in Islam, if you have something to say, say it to his face.

Better to advise and help him rather than help shaytan against him.

I would have agreed that there is nothing to be gained, had someone not going on the usual "its a media plot against Muslims". I know people like this guy, and putting our head in the sand will not help. Also its not so much about him because guidance is up to Allah but it is rather obvious that he has been listening to people who should not be listened to.

One has to follow the land one is living in provided it doesn't force you to leave your religion. This is the understanding I have and I recall coming across a hadith that says something to this effect (though i'm not sure of its reliability). In either case, a muslim isn't allowed to force his religious beliefs upon others, especially if he's living in a non-Muslim country, so the basis of islamism confuses me.

I looked up this Anjem Coudary figure and he does not have any formal training in islam. He tried studying medicine, but failed his exams and then later studied law and became a lawyer, only to be debarred and have his license revoked. This is a case of a man trying to fit in, but was never accepted in the society he grew up in.

I'm surprised at all the criticism this is getting. Yep, it's true that some of it was a little forced, but I don't think a hatchet job was done in editing - the subject spoke for himself and at length. People like him exist so why would it be so far fetched to think that these are Salahuddin's honest views? I think very often badly editted, non-contexualised pieces of trash are released as documentaries I really don't think this was one of them. Sure some of the 'emotional' parts were cheesy and forced, but you can't make up the fact that this man will only shake hands with his step-brother using the hand he uses in the toilet. What on Earth?!

As the film-maker noted a couple of times, he even understands the sadness and frustration that Salahuddin feels at seeing Muslims around the world suffer, and he even seems to grow to like them on a personal level.

Zimi - I think the film-maker is bothered by the fact his brother has shunned him, it's evident throughout. Also, it takes more than a film-maker to make a documentary, it takes a subject, and in this case, the subject seemed completely willing. The only reason the subject came off badly was because of the honest views he holds. But I think that you're right in the sense that his brother seemed unduly alarmed - Salahuddin has only been Muslim for 6 months at the time of the making of the documentary, insha allaah as he grows as a Muslim the chances are his views will change greatly. The only thing remarkable about Islam4UK apart from the small numbers of members they have (always outnumbered by the media at any event to boot), is the number of youngsters associated with them, in my experience there are very few middle aged men (barring their ring leader of course). People grow up, and they find the world isn't black and white and they move on.

I also don't think the documentary was 'islamophobic' - the film-maker differentiated between Salahuddin's group and 'mainstream' Muslims quite a few times. I think the only way in which this film was Islamophobic was in the fact that it was YET another film about these Islam4UK people, and so it feeds into the media as a whole: people will eventually start thinking Islam4UK is the be-all and end-all to Muslims in Britain, so it feeds into that Islamophobic discourse without being particularly Islamophobic itself, if you see what I mean.

I'll tell you what I find funny though - the idea of any of these groups, whether Islam4UK or HT or whatever actually being put in charge of a state. Dear God, I would flee to the nearest godless Western liberal democracy as fast as my legs could carry me. People untrained in leadership, a lot of them seemingly incapable of tolerating different views/lifestyles, never been engaged in politics; what would they know about it? Dear me, what a rabble.

And Squiddy - I don't know if those are all your quotes above or not, but I think the one about 'the government and newspapers hate all Muslims equally' is just so much self-victimising. This is clearly not the case. To see who hates Muslims you only need to compare the Daily Mail (who will print actual LIES about Muslims) to the Guardian who is largely pro-multiculturalism and while they may disagree with some of our values (which they have every right to) but doesn't print out and out lies. And it's the same with the government - some right wing politicians will feel we are an 'issue' that needs to be handled whereas other politicians believe that having a diverse population makes Britain a better place to live. To say that everyone hates us is simply not true, we have a lot going for us here that other Muslim countries and Muslims in European countries can only hope for. In Germany, a Muslim woman sought a divorce from her husband who beat her up. The German judge looked at the Quran and said, "I am not giving you a divorce because here in the Quran is says a man may beat his wife." THAT is hatred. Can you imagine that happening here? The outcry from Muslims and non-Muslims would be immense. Imagine the government trying to ban niqab here - that would be a difficult battle too yet it's happened in many other countries. I'm not saying we need to love everything the UK government does, there is a lot that needs to be changed and rectified (and it's mostly foreign policy IMO), but to constantly play victim doesn't really work.

I think Salahuddin did come across as a very nice person ma sha allaah, it's obvious that he's gentle and quite soft spoken (consider the nice and calm way he handled that drunk man) but the film maker said he didn't have a personal problem with him, it was his political and religious views that were the issue. A point I found interesting - Salahuddin from Dorset, but after only a comparatively a short space of time in East London, he's already picked up the typical East London Asian accent! Does that mean he's easily influenced by those around him? (OK I've put my armchair psychologist's chair away now...)

I think also that Ben came across as being completely sweet, with a good head on his shoulders. But I was also really impressed by Ben's mum, who really trusted her son to do the right thing. I can't think of a single Muslim parent I know who would have been the same if their child began hanging around with Islam4UK, let alone converting to another religion! But she was supportive and trusting and insha allaah he will show her it was all worthwhile.

I really wanted to hate the documentary. Reading the blurb beforehand, I was convincved that it would be a dispatches-style hatchet job. Misrepresented views with dashings of cut and paste. It wasn't anything of the sort.

Granted, the documentary-maker may have used his brother as an avenue by which to launch his media career (although his current job of TREE SURGEON is infinitely cooler), but he did try to present as balanced a view as possible, and let his brother 'speak for himself'. There were no hidden cameras or sleights of hand. He, furthermore, mentioned on numerous occasions how 'likable' the Islam4UK group were, despite their abhorrent and offensive stance on numerous issues.

At the end of the day, groups like this exist. They are a marginalised minority, who have sought out an ideology that is rebellious not only towards the western miliue from which they come, but also the 'mainstream' muslim opinion. They will retract, grow older, reevaluate and move on - hopefully towards a traditional Islamic viewpoint.

That aside, did anyone else notice how flippant Anjum Chowdary was in 'leading' his group? Noticeably absent in demonstrations, turning up late to talks etc.

The sad thing is that I hear he's actually a very down to earth guy. A lovely way for gullible Muslims (because we DO have those in the UK who lap up everything a television tells them) and I'm sure the Telegraph editor wet his pants in excitement at such a story.

The sad thing is that I hear he's actually a very down to earth guy. A lovely way for gullible Muslims (because we DO have those in the UK who lap up everything a television tells them) and I'm sure the Telegraph editor wet his pants in excitement at such a story.

I don't quite understand your comment. The Telegraph editor of course would report this story, it's extremely newsworthy. The bad guys in this story are the terrorists plotting to kill innocent people and terrorize others, not the journalists reporting on them.