Maniac Muslim Forums
Zimbabwe

Wake up calls from unlikely places..

I had a great conversation over coffee with my cousins a few months back, and one of my cousins related an experience he had with a friend. both cousins are christians (along with everyone on my dad's side of the fam), and this one mentioned that at this point in his life, he is totally open about his faith to his non-christian friends, he doesn't care what they think, or what assumptions they might have or cast upon him due to their notions of what christianity is.

this really just slammed home to me the fact that I am still very selective and at times uncomfortable about sharing my identity as a muslim to friends. this is getting better mashallah, but the fact that my cousin is just so open and authentically uncompromising about his faith both inspires me and puts me to shame.

This is really interesting and insightful Jacob. On an institutional level, I've experienced almost exactly the same thing. Many Muslim NGOs try to downplay/or are sensitive about too much overt 'Muslim-ness' in their print literature, websites and communications with donors. When have a day-visit to the Christian Aid HQ in London, you saw just how open and frank they were about their religious convictions (and even the exclusivity of them) to the point where they had verses from the Bible used as wallpaper around the office and on their website have daily prayers to download and Bible reflection competitions.

It really made me think- they were so confident, unapologetic and assertive (in a non-intimidating way) in being open about their religious identity and I have rarely seen that in Muslim orgs in their communications with the public.

(However this could be down to a number of unavoidable factors: i.e.: they are native Christians living in a Christian country, their charity has been around over 100 years, their workers are all at least degree-level educated and very competent and they have big-name donor backers too). But still interesting!

Personal observation about how Muslims react to interfaith events. Some of the reactions are valid and some are not valid, it depends on the event.

Btw what was the topic of the event?

Ahh okay, so you were basically concluding from my post (and reaction to the interfaith event) that I had weak faith? Okay, thanks.

Ahh okay, so you were basically concluding from my post (and reaction to the interfaith event) that I had weak faith? Okay, thanks.

No, I am telling you that by the information you provided one could easily conclude that you were just challenged by the non polemical presentation of other religions(aka "children of Abraham").

Yes, because living as a Muslim in the West- I have only ever relied on polemic discussions to keep my faith strong. If you couldn't conclude anything further from the posts following, then I can't help you.

Yes, because living as a Muslim in the West- I have only ever relied on polemic discussions to keep my faith strong. If you couldn't conclude anything further from the posts following, then I can't help you.

Suit yourself, when you discover that there is something beyond your ego then come join the rest of the world.

One very chilling wake up call I had was a surreal day where I had just met a family of converts- the father became Muslim, a year later his wife converted, two years after that her daughter and a year after that her son. I met them altogether one day and had a casual chilled out conversation with them. Literally within a couple of hours, I bumped into a sister I knew who was with her husband and kids. Except she wasn't a Muslim anymore, her husband had never been a Muslim and her children were not being raised as Muslims either. It really hit home to me that eeman is something which is given and taken away just like that- Allah told us that He replaces us with people who are better.

Just to see it together like that was really bizarre and a definate wake up call.

"One of the wake-up calls I got was after I burnt a massive hole into the carpet, then started crying because I didn't know what to do, then spilt/sprayed bleach/cleaning products on the carpet and scrubbed it so hard till my middle fingers were bleeding. Then I touch my face and face was burning, so I went to wash up and I closed my eyes and when I opened the lights were gone. I was home alone at 3am, no lights, so so so scared about the carpet that I just sobbed. Then I was making duah like crazy, and then it was fajr time. So here comes the wake-up call bit: I realised that when it comes down to it, you really should only turn to Allah and not anything else because when you do bad things happen. So now I try to make more of an effort to make duah. Another thing this taught me was, the value of not wasting time. All these memories were coming back to me of all the things I've broken/burnt at my mums house and the number of times she tells me to be careful and I thought "If you don't fix up now, you're never going to change". At the same time mum was talking about marriage, and that made me cry even more the thought of living at someone elses house and burning something and being so scared over it, compared to burned something at mums house and getting away with it. Once I broke mums lamp and was too much of a chicken to be honest that I hid it under my head for over a year, I confessed to my class at school but I couldn't tell mum, then I told her and she just shook her head.

It made me realise how important my home is, how much I need to be more grateful to my parents, and TO ALLAH subhana tala for giving me them parents, and for finally waking me up and making me see sense that I need to stop being a twat and fix up and be more concious of my actions, my time and to make a proper effort to not be so reckless with the things I have.

Honestly, I don't care what it sounds like to anyone, but it was a real eye-opener for me"

- posted on behalf of Sister Who

"One of the wake-up calls I got was after I burnt a massive hole into the carpet, then started crying because I didn't know what to do, then spilt/sprayed bleach/cleaning products on the carpet and scrubbed it so hard till my middle fingers were bleeding. Then I touch my face and face was burning, so I went to wash up and I closed my eyes and when I opened the lights were gone. I was home alone at 3am, no lights, so so so scared about the carpet that I just sobbed. Then I was making duah like crazy, and then it was fajr time. So here comes the wake-up call bit: I realised that when it comes down to it, you really should only turn to Allah and not anything else because when you do bad things happen. So now I try to make more of an effort to make duah. Another thing this taught me was, the value of not wasting time. All these memories were coming back to me of all the things I've broken/burnt at my mums house and the number of times she tells me to be careful and I thought "If you don't fix up now, you're never going to change". At the same time mum was talking about marriage, and that made me cry even more the thought of living at someone elses house and burning something and being so scared over it, compared to burned something at mums house and getting away with it. Once I broke mums lamp and was too much of a chicken to be honest that I hid it under my head for over a year, I confessed to my class at school but I couldn't tell mum, then I told her and she just shook her head.

It made me realise how important my home is, how much I need to be more grateful to my parents, and TO ALLAH subhana tala for giving me them parents, and for finally waking me up and making me see sense that I need to stop being a twat and fix up and be more concious of my actions, my time and to make a proper effort to not be so reckless with the things I have.

Honestly, I don't care what it sounds like to anyone, but it was a real eye-opener for me"

- posted on behalf of Sister Who

OMG!!!

lol_2.giflol_2.giflol_2.gif

Kitna drama bazi. So melodramatic lol.

I was reading MJ's status and it reminded me of something that my brother told me happened to him and his friends the other day when they were driving on their way back home. They were listening to music on the radio and talking and just messing around, when there came this gentle voice that overpowered the music playing at the time. They realised that this wasn't a song, but it was Qur'an.. this was on Capital FM, guys. A radio station that is played all across Britain and listened to by millions of people every day. They immediately rang up some friends and asked them to access the radio station and tell them what they could hear right then. The friends said that music was playing..

My brother has all this on his phone because he was already recording when they were goofing around just before it happened. You can hear that everyone in the car was completely awestruck. One of them kept asking which Surah it was but sadly, none of them knew. I might listen to the clip again and look up the words, because I really think this is something very significant. When he told me about it I was absolutely speechless. This is something that just never happens. Subhan'Allah.

Masha Allah, interesting stories. A sheikh once said that a wake up call for him was (before he came into Islam) when a lady (Christian or Catholic) like those Jehovah witness people that go door to door came to his house to talk to him about God, he was trying to teach her about Islam and how it's better. She told him to shut up and now she is the one who gets to talk and he has to listen because she is the one who woke up early in the morning, got out of the house and devoted her free time to spread the message, and he isn't even doing that.

Now he is giving da'wa Alhumdulillah.

I was reading MJ's status and it reminded me of something that my brother told me happened to him and his friends the other day when they were driving on their way back home. They were listening to music on the radio and talking and just messing around, when there came this gentle voice that overpowered the music playing at the time. They realised that this wasn't a song, but it was Qur'an.. this was on Capital FM, guys. A radio station that is played all across Britain and listened to by millions of people every day. They immediately rang up some friends and asked them to access the radio station and tell them what they could hear right then. The friends said that music was playing..

My brother has all this on his phone because he was already recording when they were goofing around just before it happened. You can hear that everyone in the car was completely awestruck. One of them kept asking which Surah it was but sadly, none of them knew. I might listen to the clip again and look up the words, because I really think this is something very significant. When he told me about it I was absolutely speechless. This is something that just never happens. Subhan'Allah.

What do you mean Enigma- Capital FM stopped their music broadcasts to play Qur'an? Or there was Qur'an as part of the song? Because many rappers (5 percenters etc) use verse of the Qur'an transposed on their music now..

What do you mean Enigma- Capital FM stopped their music broadcasts to play Qur'an? Or there was Qur'an as part of the song? Because many rappers (5 percenters etc) use verse of the Qur'an transposed on their music now..

If Capital did it, then everyone listening to it at the time would have heard it too. But the strange thing is that no one they phoned could hear it and said they could just hear music. It went on for a while so it can't have been part of a song, and nothing else accompanied it. His friend even checked that he didn't have a cd in or didn't change the radio station by accident.

My brother told me he thinks that someone might have externally interrupted the transmission to play it, which could have most definitely been what happened, but even so, I find it extremely odd that none of his other friends who he asked to access the live stream could hear the Qur'an. Capital's play content is the same no matter what region you're in. :s

I'm not sure what exactly could have caused it, but it's strange, interesting and scary at the same time. Nonetheless, it was a wake up call to the brothers and something to think about.

Oh wow, I didn't realise that's what you meant!

Very cool, very weird and a very strong wake up call masha'Allah!