Maniac Muslim Forums
Zimbabwe

Randoms and their 'research question' topics..

Their research is for their phd's of course. And they're going to defend their thesis in front of a number of professors using answers they received on the interwebz.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

You know what's funny? I find that if the person is genuine, their research is going to suck if they are just looking for short answers without really understanding the concept of Islam. Would people conducting research truly look for a short explanation if they want it to be any good? Unless, because it's on Islam, they don't really care because who really wants to give a good impression about Islam unless they are sincere.

I started a paper about Buddhism by asking a few questions on a Buddhist website. I obviously didn't use it for citation purposes, but just to get a feel for how some Western Buddhists felt about particular matters (it was about Western 'converts' to Buddhism) and perhaps be led on a particular path. It actually helped, because it gave me a starting point for research. Someone suggested I check out a book that turned out to be my main resource.

Yes, a lot of the people may be trolls. But if you feel that could be the case, then just ignore their posts (as people largely have). But going excessive with suspicion (like challenging their course list... sorry DI) is a really bad way to view others. You end up with an us vs. them outlook.

On the other hand, I highly doubt they are working for Government agencies, and what you say is likely not going to incriminate you even if they were. If they end up engaging in long debates, then you know they're a troll and not really here for a school project. But are we really afraid of that? really?

And what m53r said.

It's weird because I remember the same thing happened to someone I know who opened a FB for the first time ever and these random people started messaging him

with questions about Islam saying it's for a school project.