Maniac Muslim Forums
Haku

What Physics do you want to be explained?

Dark matter actually could be easily understood.

By observing nearby astronomical objects, we thought we understood that stars contain the majority of the matter. For example, our sun accounts for almost 99.9% of the mass in our solar system, despite the planets, moons and asteroids etc. Assuming luminous objects (stars) make up for the most of the matter in space, zcientists set out to estimate the mass of our galaxy. Although the stars are pretty far away, they can estimate the mass of the stars by analyzing the light of it. So mass of the galaxy could be estimated by accounting for luminous matter.

Now there is another way to estimate matter in our galaxy. That is by looking at an orbit of some star and doing calculations using theory of gravitation. When scientists compared the two masses, it turned out that we can see only 20% of the mass in the galaxy. Which implies rest of the 80% of matter is dark. We have no idea what type of stuff this so called dark matter consists of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

^so thats how they measure the mass of the galaxy, using gravitational formualas. Extrapolating to the mass of the universe, minus estimated mass of all stars equals dark mass. No chance of infinite matter then because its dependent upon total mass of universe-a finite number based on gravity... any chance gravitational formulas are incorrect?

^so thats how they measure the mass of the galaxy, using gravitational formualas. Extrapolating to the mass of the universe, minus estimated mass of all stars equals dark mass.

Now what they do is estimate the mass of galaxies by using theory of gravitation- that accounts for all the matter, dark and luminous. Then you can estimate the mass of galaxies by their types. Then you add up masses of galaxies in the universe as far as we can see.

No chance of infinite matter then because its dependent upon total mass of universe-a finite number based on gravity...

The question about infinite matter doesn't arise. Scientists can estimate the mass of the universe as far as they can see (observable universe). But they don't bother to make comments on what is beyond observable. If the bounds of the universe is infinite, mass of it could very well be infinite.

any chance gravitational formulas are incorrect?

Yes, there is always that chance. But it has been proven to be valid up until now, for far reaches of the space. So, scientists will keep using the theory with high level of confidence while keeping its limitations in mind.

does the outside of a wheel spin faster than the inside of a wheel?

and if everything has a gravitational pull on me, like even stars, why doesnt the gravity of those build up and rip me apart? i mean i know its really small force, but its still everything ever having a force on you, so it builds up loads right?

does the outside of a wheel spin faster than the outside of a wheel?

Angular? Both rotate the same number of radians per second.

Yea, but if you think about it, the outside has to cover a greater distance.

Also, one radian is when a circle turns the distance of the radius... so when it like turns from the same distance that is from the centre of the circle.... if you get that.

So the outside has a bigger radius, to turn the same radians, it has to cover more distance. So then I think it has to go faster

and if everything has a gravitational pull on me, like even stars, why doesnt the gravity of those build up and rip me apart? i mean i know its really small force, but its still everything ever having a force on you, so it builds up loads right?

even the built up force is too small. almost negligible.

if someone has already answered this question, can someone please link me? and if not, can someone explain this to me?

Did God create the universe?

I just watched this compelling programme on Discovery. If you’re lucky it’ll be repeated, it was fascinating. According to Hawkings the Universe didn’t / doesn’t need a God to exist. He said that, inside a black hole time slows down and eventually stops altogether. This is proof that before the Big Bang there was no time. Because of this time didn’t exist for a God to create the universe. According to scientists something can come out of nothing, he explained this on the show, with a cup of coffee of all things. There is proof that this can and does happen but as you would expect it’s very complex.

I was agnostic, this information may have finally pushed me towards atheism.

Stephen Hawking is a genius. To be able to work all of this out is nothing short of incredible. His new book, which contains this information has been met with resistance and anger by followers of religions, the world over.

can someone please explain the whole time stopping thing? and the whole no God thing?

can someone please explain the whole time stopping thing? and the whole no God thing?

Time stopping thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation

Bigbang theory originally didn't have any say whatsoever about the cause of the bang. When big bang theory was proposed it seemed to some scientists back then that there was room for God's involvement in creation of the universe. Mind you, they are only thinking about the christian God (big man in the sky). Any scientist will always ask why. Hawking is just coming up with possible answers for that why. So in a sense, the origins of bigbang is explained. But then Hawking thinks, therefor God is not needed to start a bigbang.

Time stopping thing: http://en.wikipedia....l_time_dilation

Bigbang theory originally didn't have any say whatsoever about the cause of the bang. When big bang theory was proposed it seemed to some scientists back then that there was room for God's involvement in creation of the universe. Mind you, they are only thinking about the christian God (big man in the sky). Any scientist will always ask why. Hawking is just coming up with possible answers for that why. So in a sense, the origins of bigbang is explained. But then Hawking thinks, therefor God is not needed to start a bigbang.

ok the time thing kind of makes sense. but what's the difference between christian God (big man in the sky) and our God? aren't they the same?

ok the time thing kind of makes sense. but what's the difference between christian God (big man in the sky) and our God? aren't they the same?

Current christians don't have God well defined. First of all they have trinity, which means their God was walking on earth as a man. When it comes to God the father, they seem to attribute anthropomorphic qualities to him. For example, according to bible, after Adam and Eve ate the fruit, they hid when they heard footsteps of God in paradise. So far, when western scientists are talking about God, they seem to assume that god have a physical body and an existence similar to other things. Even in Hawking's argument you quoted, he is assuming god is inside the universe and is subjected to time.

Muslims however believe God is unlike his creation, and quite independent of it. That means God is outside and independent of space and time. Most of the anti-god arguments becomes immediately irrelevant for muslims for this reason.

What's the difference? according to them, God got so tired from all the work he did that he had to rest.. :(

2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

- from The Bible

http://www.biblegate...2-3&version=KJV

of course Allah (God) is Greater than all that.