Maniac Muslim Forums
» Λнмєd «

Trust in Allah

I recently graduated from university and went through the whole 'job searching' process. I thought I'd share with you my story, as I believe there is a lesson in it for all and at the end of the day it brought me much closer to Allah and insha'allah will increase my iman.

Okay, so as I mentioned I recently finished school. I had started searching for a job around mid February, but was coming up short on finding anything that I was interested in. I was being picky because I didn't enjoy any of my co-op terms enough to do anything similar full-time, so I didn't re-apply to any of them despite being guaranteed a job with one of my previous employers. As a result, I was under-qualified for most of the jobs that I was applying to.

After about a month (in April) I was fortunate to receive an interview for a large international company which was located about an hour away and a half from my home town. The position suited my really well and aligned very well with my interests. The first interview went really well and I killed the technical portion as well. I was really excited afterwards that I even made a video which they loved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVOIbD6jqdI

I was almost certain that I would receive this position because it matched educational background, experience and interests perfectly. A week later I was asked to come in for a second interview which also went very well. After the second interview, I was informed that it would take them approximately 5 weeks to make a decision. So I began playing the waiting game.

After about a month (end of may), I started getting nervous and for some reason got the idea in my head that I wouldn't receive the job offer. I got a little worried and decided that I should probably start applying again, so that's what I did. After a few days I attended a fundraising dinner which was held in my community to support the Libyans who were displaced during the conflict their country was facing. I was really touched by the speeches that night and the images/videos we were shown motivated me to do my best to help.

Despite being broke, jobless, and having approximately $1,200 in my bank account (and $18,000 in student loans), I decided to make a small donation of $200. At that moment, I made a dua asking Allah SWT that if my money had any blessing in it at all, to reward me with a good job so I can continue to donate in the future insha'allah.

Subhanallah, the following week I received not one, but TWO interviews for jobs located in my home town. The interviews were two days apart and on the same day of each interview, I received a call inviting me to a second interview the next week. I showed both employers my video which I was commended for because they got to know my personality much better, something which is hard to evaluate in an interview.

A few days later (on June 7), after my second interview with the first employer, I was offered a job (from the first employer). I had until June 10 to make a decision. I notified the second employer of my circumstance/deadline during my second interview which was on June 8 and I let them know that I had an offer pending which expired on June 10. I didn't accept the offer from employer 1 because I was more interested in working for employer 2 as the position seemed to be a better 'fit' for myself. Employer 2 notified me that they will let me know what they decide before 3pm on June 10. Over the next few days, I kept repeating a dua in Arabic which basically translates into "Oh allah, please make a choice for me". I would also ask Allah to "give me the ability to see things for what they are, and not what they appear to be".

When June 10 rolled around, the same day which I was forced to make a decision about accepting or rejecting the job from employer 1, I was really nervous. This day was a Friday, and after juma prayer the thought suddenly popped into my head to accept the job from employer 1, even though my mind was set on working for employer 2. So I called them around 2pm to accept the position. Literally, 5-10 minutes after that conversation ended, I received an incoming call from employer 2. The first thought that popped into my mind was "CRAP!" because I had basically told them during my second interview that I'd rather have that position over the one which I was offered from employer 1 (which at this point I had already accepted). So I would have been really embarrassed to decline an offer since I expressed such a huge interest in working for them. I answered the phone and was told that I made it to top 2 but unfortunately they were leaning towards the other person at that point. However, she let me know to stay in touch in the future and they would interview me again for another position should I choose to seek another opportunity. I also learned that the job they were looking to fill was a 2 year contract, whereas the one which I accepted was full-time.

I was very happy with the outcome, especially since I had already accepted the offer from employer 1. I started working on Wednesday of this past week, and subhanallah, this job is AMAZING and exceeds the job which I THOUGHT I wanted on literally every single level. Great salary, AMAZING benefits, flexible hours, paying for my professional designation (which costs close to $30,000 and the other job wouldn't cover), and perhaps best of all... over this weekend they're moving their office literally 2 blocks from where I live!!!!

It's things like this that really make me content with Islam as a religion, it's a true blessing! For there were two jobs which I really wanted that actually didn't end up being in my best interest... but I was short sighted and didn't realize what was actually better for me.

A verse in the holy Quran says:

"Perhaps you hate a thing and it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing and it is bad for you. And Allah Knows, while you know not." (2:216)

It's not my intent to come off as arrogant or to brag about what happened, and may Allah forgive me if that's what lies within my heart. But I really wanted to share this story with everyone, such that you learn to trust in Allah SWT and truly believe that he will always do what's best. Sometimes we can all use a small reminder!

mashAllah I'm happy for you brother. A lot of us know or knew what you were going through, pray for all of us inshAllah. subhanAllah, Allah is the Provider!

This is an inspiring story, thank you for sharing. It's funny how the trying times we experience brings us close to Allah in a way nothing else can, well that is true for me. Please make dua that we also are fortunate enough to get jobs that we like, inshaAllah.

PS: The video you created was rockin mashaAllah.

awesome- can you give the arabic for that dua you were making?

and bro don't worry- you got a backup career as a comedian. a little bit of rodney dangerfield in your act. :)

Jazakum allahu khair, thanks everyone.

This is an inspiring story, thank you for sharing. It's funny how the trying times we experience brings us close to Allah in a way nothing else can, well that is true for me. Please make dua that we also are fortunate enough to get jobs that we like, inshaAllah.

PS: The video you created was rockin mashaAllah.

That is so true for me as well. It's just like when something bad happens or you get sick, and the first thing yo do is turn to allah for help by performing prayer, dua, etc.

Thanks, I took a lot of risks with that video (I thought it was kinda edgy). But I took my chances anyway!

awesome- can you give the arabic for that dua you were making?

and bro don't worry- you got a backup career as a comedian. a little bit of rodney dangerfield in your act. :)

The dua in Arabic is: "Allahuma khair lee wa akhtar lee".

PS. Don't think I can handle the criticism that comes with being a comedian haha.

Mashallah, thanks for sharing the story, and the dua as well.

It's like the first time in recent years I've heard of someone actually landing a job they really want!

I bet vids are the resumes/cv's of the future

No problem. I really like that dua and I try to always use it whenever I'm faced with a decision. There's also another one:

"Allahumma arena al 7aqq 7aqqan warzuqna eteba3ah wa arena al baatela baatelan warzuqna ejtenaabah"

"O Allah, show us the truth as truth and help us follow it and help us see falsehood as falsehood and help us avoid it."

Masha'Allah bro, some inspirational stuff! Jazaks for sharing and for the reminder!

ps Brilliant video!

Therefore; putting trust in Allah, for gaining the benefits, having protection from the harm, gaining provisions, having victory over the enemies, healing the patients and many other things, is one of the most important things and one of the most definite duties.