Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zimbabwe

Wisdoms from Other Cultures

yes, but the bottom part should be more 'pregnant' and the mouth should be smaller. Traditionally in south asia, water was stored in these.

Now the wise-crack proverb:

literal: Water in a full matki doesn't splish-splosh (there is a proper word for splish splosh)

intended meaning: A wholesome/cultured person is quietude - doesn't speak much.

background: if you half fill one of those, and move it a little, you hear a lot of splish-splosh inside. But if you fill it to the brim, water remains very calm.

PS> found it!

pot3.jpg

That's an Indian saying. It's "adh-jal gagri chalkat jaye" (a half filled pot splashes around/spills out) and an explanation I found of it is "Those with little knowledge keep showing it. Those who know all are calm/silent".

We have an expression in Pashtu which (referring to locquat) says 'trees which bear fruit, hang low'.

Meaning: People who are gifted with true knowledge/wisdom (fruit) are accessible to the people who can benefit from it. The other part of the proverb is that fruit-less trees stand haughty and tall- i.e.: nobody can ever reach nor benefit from them.

That's really cool!

Yep. All these have roots in ancient India where situation was despicably unimaginable, especially in the Hindu traditions. Sadly, some people never progressed. If I may suggest, you must definitely check out this Indian movie called 'Water' by Meera Nair. It shows how widows were treated like God's rejected children after their husbands died. They were not allowed to mingle with the common folk, not even allowed to touch them 'cuz they weren't 'pure' anymore. Also, they were made to go bald and thrown in to a widow-house of sorts and basically, treated like crap and turned into prostitutes. Oh, and yeah the same didn't apply for a man who lost his wife. Imagine that.

Anyway, back to topic :

Naach na jaaney , aangan terha

One who cannot dance, says the stage is crooked.

Aap bhaley toh jag bhalaa

Now I am not really sure, this could mean either of the following :

a ) If you're good to others, others are good to you.

b ) When a person is of an inherently good nature and disposition, he sees the same in others.

You stole all the ones I was going to post. I decided to not overdo it. :P

There's an Urdu one 'Chor ke daari me tilka' which refers to a man who ate someone's food, and his beard got dipped into it and turned yellow. When people asked him if he stole it, he'd deny it because he couldn't see the yellow on his beard. I think the moral is either there's no smoke without fire or the truth will come out eventually.

Tinka = speck. :)

MUCH MORE OPEN. like, ridiculously open. like openly-discussing-toilet-incidents-at-dinner open. makes me cringe.

i suppose i could filter out the REALLY bad ones, and dilute the others. anyway, here goes. i think i've discussed some of these on chat before so some of you may already have heard them. they're pretty hilarious though.

the ones in the spoiler are the gross ones; the rest are safe.

____ = poop. (except we generally say sh** instead)

1. na wait til yuh gah ____ fuh build latrine.

translation: don't wait until you have to go ____ before you build a latrine (toilet)

explanation: i guess that's our equivalent of 'make hay while the sum shines'. i.e. don't procrastinate

2. na be like dry goat ____ a wait fuh breeze blow.

translation: don't be like dried goat ____ waiting for breeze to blow.

explanation: ok this is a rather laboured metaphor, so bear with me. dried goat poop is very light, so with the slightest breeze, it rolls away. so the saying means that you shouldn't be ready to blow up in anger (that's the poop rolling), at the least provocation (provocation being the breeze).

3. smart fly a paste a cow kakahole.

translation: smart flies end being being stuck to cows' bumholes.

explanation: another laboured metaphor, but here goes. flies hang around cows bums cuz they like poo. the 'smart' ones try to get closer the the cows ... bums, but then they end up getting stuck there. so i guess the meaning is something along the lines of being a smartass will get you in trouble?

4. one, one dutty build dam.

translation: one bit of dirt after the next builds the dam. (that sounds kind of awkward but i'm not sure how to translate 'one one')

explanation: our equivalent of 'rome wasn't built in a day'. you have to take things one step at a time.

5. wah hut eye does mek nose run water.

translation: what hurts the eye makes the nose leak

explanation: what affects one member of the family, affects them all.

6. when yuh play out all yuh trump cards yuh gah lose til game done.

translation: when you play out all of your trump cards, then you have to lose until the game is done.

explanation: if you give up all your advantages in the beginning, then you're bound to lose in the end.

7. Turtle cyaa walk if he nah push he head outa he shell.

translation: the turtle cannot walk if you does not push his head out of his shell.

explanation: you can't make any progress in life unless you take risks

Whoa, very interesting. Although reading the original is making me cringe.

Sounds like a Guyanese pidgin or creole... Creole, I'm guessing.

I dunno any Mirpuri ones. I wonder if God skipped Azad Kashmir when it came to wisdom? :lol:

:lol:

Sabr ka pahl (or was it poohl?) meeta hota hai

Something along the lines of the reward for being patient is sweet. Somebody else translate it!

Phal = fruit; Phool = flower; Fool = foolish Indian way of saying flower.

I see, thanks for pointing it out and for posting these. =)

No problem. :)

More:

"saw chuhe khake billi hajj ko chali"

Literal = after eating a hundred mice, the cat went for hajj

Basically a bad person who pretends to be a good person outwardly. Or a person who regularly commits sins goes off to get purified at hajj.

"Ghar ka bhedi Lanka dhaiye"

Literal = The information leaker of one's home cause the downfall of the entire city of Lanka.

I believe it's about who you trust among those closest to you as they could be the cause of the downfall of you and others.

"Kala akshar bhains barabar"

Literal = A black alphabet is equivalent to a buffalo

To an ignorant/illiterate person, both are equivalent.

"Doodh ka jala chaas bhi phook-phook kar peeta hai"

Literal = A person who has been burnt by milk will even blow over the bubbles as a precaution.

Once bitten twice shy.

:lol: Even if I meet them, I'd probably not understand a word. It's amazing that you can switch back and forth between English and Guyanese so easily though. Not that I'm making fun of the language but for example you'll often find people mixing up Hindi/Urdu or Hindi/Marathi, etc. So it's interesting that you don't have that problem. :)

:lol: Even if I meet them, I'd probably not understand a word. It's amazing that you can switch back and forth between English and Guyanese so easily though. Not that I'm making fun of the language but for example you'll often find people mixing up Hindi/Urdu or Hindi/Marathi, etc. So it's interesting that you don't have that problem. :)

Was Oxy Poxy raised with it? Because kids have an amazingly adept language capacity- even if they were taught 9 languages (of related origins) they would be able to switch to and from them with ease.

Coming to think of it, I'd really like to learn if there's a record for the most languages learnt and in what context they were. Nowadays it's majorly impressive if somebody is trilingual, whereas not so long ago speaking multiple languages was the norm. Wasn't it Alexander the Great who said 'whoever can speak three languages, it is as if he is three people?'. That has so so much weight to it.

I'm disappointed in PomPom for the lack of Eastern European proverbs here- that's an area of the world we don't hear enough about (bar the tinpot dictatorships etc)-!

Was Oxy Poxy raised with it? Because kids have an amazingly adept language capacity- even if they were taught 9 languages (of related origins) they would be able to switch to and from them with ease.

Coming to think of it, I'd really like to learn if there's a record for the most languages learnt and in what context they were. Nowadays it's majorly impressive if somebody is trilingual, whereas not so long ago speaking multiple languages was the norm. Wasn't it Alexander the Great who said 'whoever can speak three languages, it is as if he is three people?'. That has so so much weight to it.

I'm disappointed in PomPom for the lack of Eastern European proverbs here- that's an area of the world we don't hear enough about (bar the tinpot dictatorships etc)-!

I met a guy who knew 27 languages. On the tube of all places.

I met a guy who knew 27 languages. On the tube of all places.

Erm Rammstein, you are sure he wasn't an obsessive compulsive liar? How would you get him to PROVE it!

meh i don't see what the big deal is. its pretty similar to english so its not like a drastic change. and i can't actually speak it that well. my accent is horrid haha.

my family all speak it, but when we kids were little, my parents would address us in err "proper" english so that we wouldn't go to school talking like fobs. so i didn't grow up speaking it, but i understand it completely and i can speak it now but my accent sucks.

--

back on topic:

"joke, joke ah mek ol man choke"

translation: joking too much makes the old man choke

meaning: we have another saying that explains this. "afta laugh come cry". meaning when you joke too much/laugh like crazy/have too much fun, something bad will happen at the end and your fun will get cut short. or something like that.

It's so strange, after almost every 'wisdom' somebody posts I can almost immediately think of a parallel either in another saying or even in hadith! Ajeeeeeeeb.

^it would be ajeeb otherwise

Why? Do you think the whole world is essentially just recycled wisdom? Or human experience takes every generation to come to the same/similar observations about life and the best way to live it?

I really want some wacky proverbs- I know there are really odd ones out there which actually have some sense and meaning to them..

Why? Do you think the whole world is essentially just recycled wisdom? Or human experience takes every generation to come to the same/similar observations about life and the best way to live it?

not every generation, but give a group of people enough time and as a group they will notice certain phenomena. Things like how a water vessel makes noise can be easily understood and all it would take is one wise person to notice that, and you have a wisdom. And, virtues are almost the same in all traditional cultures so we would be bound to have similar ideas expressed in similar analogies.

"Garlic is as good as ten mothers"

Ha. Garlic obsession much?

:mellow:

explain.

--

here's another one.

"beef na gah bone, dag na bite."

translation: if the beef doesn't have any bone, the dog won't bite.

meaning: people are not going to get involved in something if they don't see any benefit for themselves.

:mellow:

explain.

--

here's another one.

Well, Indians are Team Garlic, devout believers of it's multiple benefits. Sonce the ancient times, not only has it been used as a essential condiment, but also has been used as a popular cure for diseases and ailments. It's a part of Hindu mythology, there's a whole story to it that I don;t really know but what I do know is that they believe it to have emerged from divine nectar and they religiously swear by it's medicinal value and is used extensively in Ayurveda - traditional Indian medication.

Hence, they say it's better than 10 mothers.