Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
azyeennekun

Can I retake Shahadah?

Alright, so here's the thing.

When I took my shahadah, I did so at a Shia mosque, which I no longer share the beliefs of. Although I am SO grateful for them to their kindness, I don't agree with some of their ideas. I was also under slight pressure to do it now before it's too late, which fair enough, but still. One cannot rush salvation, I guess.

Since then, I've felt really out of my depth and lost amongst a sea of information. And, of course, I've met SO many mistakes out of ignorance, but also some out of part ignorance and part sinfulness. But I've ended bad relationships, quit smoking, stopped listening to filthy music, made good intentions and I finally feel ready to embrace to embrace the deen and take on the responsibility of Muslim life. It's taken me up to now to really discover my identity and feel comfortable with myself.

So my question is this, can I retake Shahadah? Do I get the gift of a blank slate again? Is that asking too much? It would also be nice to do it this time surrounded my sisters and friends, because my friend really wanted to be there when I took shahadah.

I also know a sister who is doing just that. I'm really stuck on this issue, I know if I told my friends they would be fine with it and see it as a new start for me, considering, but I obviously don't want to sin out of ignorance and take liberties with the religion that has already given me so much.

What do =/

If your past sins is what's bothering you, sincere repentance wipes away sins. I don't know if you can or need to retake shahada, but repentance is always available (before death).

You can but I doubt the sins being wiped out would apply this time around.

PS. Don't feel too badly about the sins you did without knowing. The clean slate in some ways is given for that exact reason.

If your shahada consisted of you declaring: I bear witness to that there is no God but Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammed is the messenger of Allah.

I do not think you have to retake it, unless they made you say some stuff about Ali and Hussein may Allah be please with them as part of your shahada.

Yes, I had to say stuff about Ali and Hussein, that's why I'm wondering if it counts as valid. Especially as I'm not sure at the time, I meant it in my heart.

Your shahada doesn't have to be witnessed publicly. Allah (swt) is your witness. Any mistakes you've made unknowingly will be forgiven, inshallah. I do not think you need to retake your shahada. There are so many Muslims who realize they have been practicing bidah and then correct themselves without retaking the shahada. Plus, everytime you pray, you'll be taking the shahada. :)

Yes, I had to say stuff about Ali and Hussein, that's why I'm wondering if it counts as valid. Especially as I'm not sure at the time, I meant it in my heart.

from what I know the shia just say "and Ali was the wali of God"

Did they ask you to say something else?

Meh, I can't remember. I think it was wa ana ali wali allah on the end. But the guy made me repeat one syllable at a time so it could have been anything by the end :blink:

And, Jazkallah for the advice... they told me that I had to have witnesses to shahadah though. Is that not true?

And, Jazkallah for the advice... they told me that I had to have witnesses to shahadah though. Is that not true?

I thought that's only in the case of a conversion, though.

Is that right?

witnesses are not required. one can take shahada alone (first time or otherwise)

The only reason to take the shahada in front of witnesses is so they can testify you are a Muslim and you can go for hajj. But Allah (swt) is well aware of what is in your heart.

^ why do you need witnesses? Your mouth, tongue, lips and place can also testify.