Maniac Muslim Forums
cubster

Thesis Write Up

I'm supposed to be submitting my thesis/ dissertation at the end of November 2011. This means that I have to be done with it by the end of October 2011 to work on corrections etc so I can hand it in safely before the deadline.

I've done half the research so far. I just have to finish up with the interviews, which will take a few weeks and then I can start on that.

My plan is to work on my literature review and parts of my introduction, (e.g. research methods, access, limitations), which leaves me with the findings for later on. I was meant to start my literature review at the beginning of this month. I have, to date, only read 4 articles! This, is not good. I can't seem to focus!

This brings me to the point of this thread. I need help staying on track. I have 2 weeks before the end of July and I need to have the literature review done by then. I have 1 thesis to read and at least 3 whole books. The rest are articles and I already have the main stuphph from them in my proposal.

I am going to try and finish my field notes tonight, organising them will be a headache for another time!

I am going to post updates here and I would like people to badger me for work. To ask me how far I've gone etc... To tell me get a move on and all that kind of stuphph!!!

Help me write my thesis MM, please :(

How far are you now?

It's been close to two hours since this thread was created. DID YOU GET SUMFIN DONE?!

Aah thank you guys! :)

Yes, I did fall asleep -_- I did some work though. Managed to get some field notes done.

So I met with my supervisor today. Quite impromptu. I am relieved though, because I got a lot off my chest and we spent a few hours chatting about things and how we were going to get things done. I have an awesome supervisor, alhamdulillah, and she'll whip my behind into shape as I go along.

The plan so far is this:

Next 2 weeks - finish reading articles and books for my lit review and for my research methods.

August: complete interviews with teachers/ facilitators/ parents/ professionals (i.e. speech therapists and occupational therapists)

August: Literature review, theoretical framework, parts of intro to be done (research methods, access, limitations...).

September - October: Work on findings from the interviews, put everything into themes and start the write up of the findings.

November: Iron out the kinks and work on the corrections.

As perfect as this sounds, I know that I am going to be pushing it for the next few months and I'll be down to the wire. Its my own fault, really. So I'll be awake almost 24 hours every day for the next 4 and a half months :wacko:

Oh and did I mention that this is going to be a +200 page thing at the end (inshaAllah) :wacko:

InshAllah all will go well, take rest, don't work crazily and spoil your health. Remember if you are healthy its then that you can achieve your goals and submit it properly. I like how you have put down what you are suppose to do, now all what you need is to focus and make loads of dua to Allah and inshAllah it will go well. I wish you all the best and may Almighty Allah make it easy on you and may things work out well just as you have written down inshAllah :)

JazakAllah Khair :)

Tonight I am going through my proposal to get a bit of direction for the lit review.

Very basically, my research is about caregivers of children with autism. Caregivers can be anyone from teachers, facilitators or parents. I'm looking to see if there is a culture (of caregiving and of coping) within the caregiving of autistic children and within this I am looking at the experiences of these people. I've been doing observations at two schools since March and I've pretty much collected my ethnography, but I have to supplement it with proper interviews. Because I did the observation, I basically know the direction the research will take, which is why we decided to start writing now.

Tonight I am going through my proposal to get a bit of direction for the lit review.

Very basically, my research is about caregivers of children with autism. Caregivers can be anyone from teachers, facilitators or parents. I'm looking to see if there is a culture (of caregiving and of coping) within the caregiving of autistic children and within this I am looking at the experiences of these people. I've been doing observations at two schools since March and I've pretty much collected my ethnography, but I have to supplement it with proper interviews. Because I did the observation, I basically know the direction the research will take, which is why we decided to start writing now.

Wow that sounds reallly interesting!

InshaAllah youll get it done on time.

Ha! I just had a chat with a professor about power dynamics and how it plays into every facet of life. I didn't think about that. I am posting this here because at least it is somewhere where it won't disappear (like when I write it down on a piece of paper and lose the paper <_< )! I'm am pretty sure I can work something about power dynamics and the role it plays in the interaction between the child and the caregiver. I have witnessed first hand how autistic children know that they have some kind of power and they know how to wield it, whether it be in the form of a tantrum or something else, in order to get their way! :wow: :wow: :wow:

Ha! I just had a chat with a professor about power dynamics and how it plays into every facet of life. I didn't think about that. I am posting this here because at least it is somewhere where it won't disappear (like when I write it down on a piece of paper and lose the paper <_< )! I'm am pretty sure I can work something about power dynamics and the role it plays in the interaction between the child and the caregiver. I have witnessed first hand how autistic children know that they have some kind of power and they know how to wield it, whether it be in the form of a tantrum or something else, in order to get their way! :wow: :wow: :wow:

Go Go Go Cubby :) You can do it inshAllah

All the best cubster, hope it goes well for inA. If you would like someone to read it through for you as you're doing parts, then I'm happy to help and give feedback where I can.

I've done some similar work, although mine was more based around raising attainment in children with special educational needs, and why teaching them can be so challenging in terms of classroom dynamics and the challenges the individual child displays. And why in comparison to other children, SEN children are falling behind the expected progress levels.

JazakAllah Sporty Muslimah :)

This:

why teaching them can be so challenging in terms of classroom dynamics and the challenges the individual child displays

looks like it could be relevant, although not directly, but good for a review. Did you publish your work? Would I be able to find it on the net?

I would love someone to read it as I go along, but I am so scared of my work lol. I usually hide from my supervisor until she corners me and harasses my work out of me for her to see :P InshaAllah, I can get over this. I will let you know a bit later when I have something concrete, inshaAllah.

Very interesting indeed!

If its any consolation, I did my dissertation between January and April and alhumdulillah even though time seems tight, everything fits in place once things get underway!

We are all here to support you :D