Maniac Muslim Forums
cubster

Thesis Write Up

Met with an awesome scholar and interviewed him. Need to meet with more. I also want to talk to these faith healer types who see jinns and what not and find out if they have had anyone come to them and what do they do.

Pretty much. They don't sleep around pre and post marriage apparently because they are all such goodie goodies so there is no way that HIV can exist amongst Muslims. What I've learnt about this Muslim underground is fascinating. Well, it fascinates me.

well, an underground muslims can be a great thread. just sayin

Me too. I saw a special somewhere on transvestite Muslims. Is the rate of exposure due to sex or iv drug use, do you think?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_(South_Asia)

In Pakistan, the hijras are officially recognized as third gender by the government,[4] being neither completely male nor female.

Ain't Pakistan progressive!

I've heard about a pashtun cultural thing about young boys being sold/rented to older males for sexual servitude from ages 9-17, and the local imams issuing fatwas in support- denying the homosexuality of the relationship. Evidently it's common in southern Afghan and Pakistan. The western security forces were so shocked by it many evidently required counseling because in their mind it was child molestation at best and organized child rape at worst.

selling young boys for sex is a different issue in the stan. Rise if the war lords post russian invasion are apparently gay. If there are fatwas justifying the organized crime, there is no doubt those are fake imams or just propaganda lies. while the gay-lords of afghanistan are so reprehensible and gay, human traffiking in general is a big problem world wide.

I guess what I was asking was are you looking at HIV trends in Muslims or in the SA community? Also, is there correlative rates to other, less taboo, conditions such as unwanted pregnancies, overall drug use, age or sexuality? Does being a woman hinder your ability to get the information?

Me too. I saw a special somewhere on transvestite Muslims. Is the rate of exposure due to sex or iv drug use, do you think?

I can't say for sure, but it leans towards sex over drug use but I'm sure there must be cases of exposure due to drug use. In my neighbourhood, growing up, almost all the Muslim boys were on some kind of drug so drug use amongst the youth in particular is definitely a thing but in terms of HIV I can't say for sure.

Still sidetracked, sorry Cubster

Nah, nah, keep going. Its all interesting!

I guess what I was asking was are you looking at HIV trends in Muslims or in the SA community? Also, is there correlative rates to other, less taboo, conditions such as unwanted pregnancies, overall drug use, age or sexuality? Does being a woman hinder your ability to get the information?

For starters, lemme just say this is an anthropological piece so its qualitative from start to finish. As for trends, its really hard to say when people are telling you that they got infected by someone poking them with an infected needle. I'm specifically looking at my hometown as logistically I can't afford to go outside of my city. I would have loved to have moved to Cape Town, its a much more open community. Well, see this is the kind of thing that I want to look into, sex and the youth, what are Islamic schools teaching when it comes to sex ed, Muslim prostitutes and those who serve Muslim men specifically and so on and on and on.

So far, being a woman hasn't been a hassle, its finding people willing to open up that has been the problem. Even organisations that deal specifically with HIV+ Muslims suddenly pretend that they have no idea what you're talking about when you approach them. Its the Muslims that are hindering my ability to get information.