Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Summer Haze

Class Dismissed

College sociology... :P Apparently there's a difference between college and university here :mellow: or so I think.

in america they call all post-secondary (after high school) institutions "college". so a community college like bronx community college and a university like nyu are all called college.

in canada we differentiate between the two. if we're going to college, we say college, and if we're going to university we say university.

in the UK, college is where you go after high school. and university is where you go after college.

confusing. O_O

O_O thanks, lol

I think here they tend to associate the word university with prestige. Pace University, New York University, Columbia University, etc. And nearly everything else that is way 'cheaper' in tuition is called college.

O_O thanks, lol

I think here they tend to associate the word university with prestige. Pace University, New York University, Columbia University, etc. And nearly everything else that is way 'cheaper' in tuition is called college.

i thought it was

college = diploma

university = degree

but you guys calls them all college anyway.

so at the moment, do you study sociology as a subject or are you doing a particular unit about sociology of class?

O_O thanks, lol

What country are you in?

In the US:

College = 4-year degree (i.e. Bachelor's), University = anything above that (i.e. Masters, Doctoral)

Ex. Harvard College is the undergraduate part of Harvard University.

What country are you in?

In the US:

College = 4-year degree (i.e. Bachelor's), University = anything above that (i.e. Masters, Doctoral)

Ex. Harvard College is the undergraduate part of Harvard University.

Ah ok. Over here we got everything at uni.

Unites States.

After High School, you can pretty much go into a University such as Long Island University, New York University, etc. Universities aren't only for Masters, etc.

Sorry, I should have clarified:

College = 4-year degree (i.e. just Bachelor's), University = can include Bachelor's, plus anything above that (ex. Masters, Doctoral)

Unites States.

After High School, you can pretty much go into a University such as Long Island University, New York University, etc. Universities aren't only for Masters, etc.

And LIU has more 'prestige' than Harvard College?

But NYU for example, the whole institution is New York University.. but it has many components, such as Tisch (gives more than Bachelor's, i.e. MFA and PhD), Stern for MBA's, CAS (College of Arts and Science) for just BA and BS.

Ex. University of California, Berkeley contains the undergraduate College of Letters and Science, and College of Engineering.