Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GuerillaRadio

MM Movie Night

Excuse me Enigma, but do you know the difference between going on MM for a good cause and going on MM to watch a movie? Which one is more wasteful? Which one has more blessing? You decide.

Who's to say watching a movie together is a waste of time? You made a nice generalisation there. Time that's used wisely is not time wasted. If we choose something beneficial like others have already suggested, maybe you'll change your mind, killjoy. :P

TNBIT, watching a movie. with good company. How does this constitute as "wasting time" -- what reasons do you have to judge this as a bad idea?

Most of my concern with your post was the implication of sin where there wasn't any.

I agree with this point, however: there are better and worse ways of going about this. I'll leave it to the masses!

I was making a point with good intention so don't take it the wrong way inshaAllah. Wasting time is wrong and it leads to becoming unsuccessful, so watching a movie/documentary/show which have no benefit must be a 'Absolutely No' option.

Who's to say watching a movie together is a waste of time? You made a nice generalisation there. Time that's used wisely is not time wasted. If we choose something beneficial like others have already suggested, maybe you'll change your mind, killjoy. :P

You totally jumped across my intention. :P

Last question first! What we'll do is take all the movie suggestions in this thread and have a poll. You'll have ultimate say, however, in case there's a joke vote for "Sexytime 17" or something like that.

As for how Justin TV or whatever works, it was just a suggestion, mine sister! I was told that you have the technical expertise to pull this off, is all.

lol, who told you I have the technical expertise?

Nawp! People are on this because you're the suggested mod!

Don't be silly. It's all you.

Heh - I didn't say I was actually going to watch any of them, was just suggesting one for everyone else! :D

Noooo, now I want you to join.

You're right. We have to watch Mr. Bean.

:lol: Mr. Bean has the occasional bad scenes.

TNBIT, watching a movie. with good company. How does this constitute as "wasting time" -- what reasons do you have to judge this as a bad idea?

An Example for you would do inshaAllah:

MM people choose, Lion King.

MM people watch Lion King for ‎1hr 29 minutes.

Some MM people cried, some MM people laughed, some MM people sang, some MM people awww'd.

Beneficial or not Beneficial. You decided.

Would the Ummah progress or regress?

Indeed. Not everything you do has to be for the progression of the Ummah. Some times it's OK to just kick back and relax.

I suggest NBIT sticks to Culture Ego and Society, the Islam forums, and Politics. They may be more your thing.

Also - Monty Python's Life of Brian Some nudity in that though.

An Example for you would do inshaAllah:

MM people choose, Lion King.

MM people watch Lion King for ‎1hr 29 minutes.

Some MM people cried, some MM people laughed, some MM people sang, some MM people awww'd.

Beneficial or not Beneficial. You decided.

Would the Ummah progress or regress?

Thanks, that was well put. I see what you are saying now.

And mashAllah for keeping the Ummah's assessment in mind. That actually went over me and is a great point.

I think the intention here is not to get enjoyment from the movie, but to get enjoyment (or what have you) from the GOOD company watching the movie. I don't think that that is a bad idea, but I don't know if on the whole this intention is based in sin and wasted time.

I'll answer that on a personal level, I will progress inshAllah - and Allah knows best.

a good movie is like a good book. it can enrich you. to deny the benefit of good literature is also stupid.

however unlike good books, good movies are hard to come by, especially in the mainstream. I could recommend a good Iranian movie or two, which would definitely have a positive effect on you.