Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GuerillaRadio

MM Movie Night

here's what i think will happen:

movie will be put on; chat will be distracting, movie is overlooked.

Should I only put beneficial movies into the poll? Is that where we're at?

correction: you should put only those movies which are deemed beneficial by me.

/joke

r-z, ha. Let me see if I can try to make some spontaneous guidelines for beneficial:

1. Documentaries have a high probability of qualifying

2. Biographical films of real-life people have a high probability of qualifying

3. Films about Islam have a high probability of qualifying

4. Non-fiction films require more scrutiny

5. Mainstream action, romantic, or comedy films have a low probability of qualifying

Should I only put beneficial movies into the poll? Is that where we're at?

No not at all! Every movie serves its purpose, even if it's just a bit of fluff to relax and entertain (here's looking at you, Bill and Ted) and relaxing and being entertained is important too.

Mr Bean has nudity? What? Really?

Okay, not direct nudity. Implied nudity which is why I edited my post.

Examples:

Mr. Bean losing his underwear in the pool and trying to get out of the area before women come in. Or him in a hotel trying to get reception and for some reason he takes off all his clothes and wear the TV box. Or he takes up an painting class and the subject is a nude woman.

Those are the ones I can recall so not exactly appropriate.

here's what i think will happen:

movie will be put on; chat will be distracting, movie is overlooked.

Probably.

correction: you should put only those movies which are deemed beneficial by me.

/joke

lol. I thought I was the mod. You can join me but to be impartial, you shouldn't make suggestions.

r-z, ha. Let me see if I can try to make some spontaneous guidelines for beneficial:

1. Documentaries have a high probability of qualifying

2. Biographical films of real-life people have a high probability of qualifying

3. Films about Islam have a high probability of qualifying

4. Non-fiction films require more scrutiny

5. Mainstream action, romantic, or comedy films have a low probability of qualifying

Don't rule anything out (eg. mainstream). People are wise enough to make their own decisions about whether they'd like to be a part of the movie-watching process or not.

Don't rule anything out (eg. mainstream). People are wise enough to make their own decisions about whether they'd like to be a part of the movie-watching process or not.

NO THEY ARE NOT! Look around blockbuster chart for god's sake woman!

white-rose, agreed! But, mine sister, I went with 'probability.' And, r-z, I couldn't agree more with your observations about taste!

here's what i think will happen:movie will be put on; chat will be distracting, movie is overlooked.

This.

Actually, I've done this with a few friends (including Fayth!) and we only keep communicating if we're really close tbh. Otherwise the conversation just withers away.

NO THEY ARE NOT! Look around blockbuster chart for god's sake woman!

But just like people have a choice to step inside a theater to watch a movie. They have the option of joining in on the MM movie chosen.

I think this discussion on movie night is interesting in so much as it allows people to understand each other's general movie-watching habits. In the 'spectrum', I guess we have all types of MMers from those who don't watch movies at all, those who watch them rarely and are very strict on their 'criteria', those who watch more frequently and are open to more genres as long as there is some level of education/benefit in them and those who use them as a regular method to unplug and chillax so don't mind that there might not be explicit 'benefit' in them. Perhaps most of the discussion stems from each of these people having to make a single, communal decision when their habits are so different from one another.

Indeed. Not everything you do has to be for the progression of the Ummah. Some times it's OK to just kick back and relax.

I suggest NBIT sticks to Culture Ego and Society, the Islam forums, and Politics. They may be more your thing.

Also - Monty Python's Life of Brian Some nudity in that though.

So we stop helping the Ummah and ourselves and kick back? I never said: 'work, work, work' and not have fun. That is not what Islam is about. In fact having Halal fun with good intentions counts as a good deed and on top of that you still progress.

You don't know enough about me to suggest things, but thanks anyways.

Thanks, that was well put. I see what you are saying now.

And mashAllah for keeping the Ummah's assessment in mind. That actually went over me and is a great point.

I think the intention here is not to get enjoyment from the movie, but to get enjoyment (or what have you) from the GOOD company watching the movie. I don't think that that is a bad idea, but I don't know if on the whole this intention is based in sin and wasted time.

I'll answer that on a personal level, I will progress inshAllah - and Allah knows best.

In other words you mean bonding. Human beings are social creatures, nobody can deny that but bonding in a 'Halal' way is Pleasing to Allah, Blessed by Allah and Rewarded by Allah and on top of that you progress.

Good Video, Good Company, Good Deeds.

لِمَن شَآءَ مِنكُمۡ أَن يَتَقَدَّمَ أَوۡ يَتَأَخَّرَ 74/37

'To the one from among you who wishes to come forward (towards good deeds) or to go back (from them).'

In Islam you either go forwards or backwards, your eman either increases or decreases, progress or regress, you never stay stationary.