Maniac Muslim Forums

Just rant about jobs/employers/and everything in between. Also give advice if you can.

Firstly, theres this recruitment agency here that is so so so annoying. They have such a strong Liverpudlian accent that every time they call I dont even understand what they are saying half the time. But anyway thats not the biggest annoyance. The biggest annoyance is they always leave a voicemail for me telling me to call back. Then when I call back that person is not available so they tell me to give them my details and they'll get the person to call back.Then I dont get a call back so I call them again but another person answers and they say can you call between 4-8pm. But at that time its always busy and theres a big queue so I just put the phone down. Then the cycle continues. <_<

Another thing is, when I search 'Graduate' jobs such silly things come up. Like Teenage Modelling lol. Seriously. And other stuff like Field Sales. Yes after 3 years of uni, I really want to do Modelling and Field Sales. Also a lot of the good graduate jobs are in London and I cant move there. :(

Third thing is SO MANY OF THEM DONT EVEN REPLY. I can send my CV to ten places right now and none of them will reply. :angry: This just really does my head in.

Any advice about what to do?

Do you have work experience?

If the job you want is not there at the moment, could be a good idea to find work in the same area and build yourself up.

Also try to expand where you look. If that place is not working, look somewhere else. Google can find you many recruitment companies or even vacancies itself.

Good luck

Guest Fufu-Xiawoun

Ah ferroferroferro, I could write such a huge rant on this, I feel your pain sister I feel your pain. Write a cover letter and apply to places to get proper work experience inshaAllah that'll help you with it.

Guest Fufu-Xiawoun

You really really should have a good action plan from now, there are so many graduates out there with 2:1s, even first class who are struggling to find jobs, some have masters too, no one wants to employ you if you have no experience. So that's the best thing to get, lots and lots of experience. If you have time right now, do a few hours and get that done, and keep praying, inshaAllah things will work out.

Guest Fufu-Xiawoun

Great, that's just great :(

Urgh, I have no clue what to do :fear:

Screw it, am just gonna apply for a different degree, prolong the Student life, I'll have an excuse for not having a job

Prolong the student life? I can't believe I'm hearing this! 9 grand a year Jafooly, 9 bloody grand. And the longer you leave it the more interest adds on and the bigger the burden. Bleeagh I hate loan-talk.

I feel you, FR. I'm on the hunt for something part time and its a pain in the arse, most don't even reply.

Guest Fufu-Xiawoun

I'm such an idiot, I had the chance to do an Industrial year, but no I had to be stupid and throw it away :no:

Don't worry, what's happened has happened, look forward to the future and make whatever changes you can to improve your situation from today inshaAllah =)

I have made a lot of stupid decisions when it came to school/college/uni but yknow Alhumdulilah it's not the end of the world, Allah subhana tala is so merciful, things always seem to work out one way or another. So have hope my brother, it'll work out inshaAllah.

Do you have work experience?

If the job you want is not there at the moment, could be a good idea to find work in the same area and build yourself up.

Also try to expand where you look. If that place is not working, look somewhere else. Google can find you many recruitment companies or even vacancies itself.

Good luck

I have quite a bit of experience, I worked in a call centre for more than a year and did voluntary mentoring for a few months as well. I do think I should do some more volunteering. Its not just that though, there are NO graduate jobs related to what I did my degree in, and the one or two that I do find are in different cities, far far away.

I am currently doing a teaching course, but that is part time and it is likely to take a year at least. I am doing a few hours teaching a week for that course, but I dont get paid.

JazakAllah Khair for the advice :)

Don't give up hope! With every 10 no's comes a yes, chin up :D

Also like someone mentioned, try expanding on your CV, do some voluntary work, and get some work experience in the field you want to go in, if the field is specifically related to your degree, you could always go back and get a Masters that will definitely give you a boost

JazakAllah Khair. I have done voluntary work but I cant even find voluntary work in the field I want to go in. Well I havent looked properly though :blush: thats my fault. But I signed up to this volunteering site and applied to like a trillion volunary jobs but hardly any of them got back to me :angry:

I was meant to do an MA as soon as I finished uni but then I couldnt afford it :( I would love to go back and do one and then a Phd lol. InshaAllah, but I need to get a job to get enough money for it :P

Or just marry rich, that's what I would do :shifty:

Lol, if only. But arent you a guy? Guys cant get away with that :P

I feel you, FR. I'm on the hunt for something part time and its a pain in the arse, most don't even reply.

I know, right. They dont even reply. They should at least have the decency to tell us WHY we didnt get it <_<

Ah ferroferroferro, I could write such a huge rant on this, I feel your pain sister I feel your pain. Write a cover letter and apply to places to get proper work experience inshaAllah that'll help you with it.

Yep inshaAllah. A lot of my uni friends are in the same position. They are struggling to find any graduate jobs. Maybe I should do more voluntary, but I reallly need to get a proper job :(

You really really should have a good action plan from now, there are so many graduates out there with 2:1s, even first class who are struggling to find jobs, some have masters too, no one wants to employ you if you have no experience. So that's the best thing to get, lots and lots of experience. If you have time right now, do a few hours and get that done, and keep praying, inshaAllah things will work out.

Yes, I agree. ALL STUDENTS should try and do some voluntary work whilst at uni because then at least when they come out they'll have some experience.

A 2:1 or a first does not give you a ticket to a good job. Also another thing is some non-graduate jobs dont employ people with degrees because they see them as over-qualified or think they will move on as soon as they get another offer. So you have to be careful with how you interact with employers.

Prolong the student life? I can't believe I'm hearing this! 9 grand a year Jafooly, 9 bloody grand. And the longer you leave it the more interest adds on and the bigger the burden. Bleeagh I hate loan-talk.

Same. At least when I did it, it was 3 grand now its flippin 9 grand. You know if I was to choose now whether to go uni and pay 9 grand a year or get a job, Id go for looking for a job. Although its hard, at least youre not spending thousands in looking for a job.

I can send my CV to ten places right now and none of them will reply. :angry: This just really does my head in.

They don't reply because they can tell you have sent your CV to 9 other places.

Work out where you want to work; where are you going to enjoy working, where are you going to contribute the most, where are you going to be able to do your very best work. There are maybe only one or two places that spring to mind. Forget all the others. Don't waste your graduate years somewhere you don't care about unless you have no options left, and I'm not convinced you're in that position.

Now that you know where you want to work, go and get a job there. Forget whether they have vacancies advertised or not; you would be surprised how many internal vacancies arise that are never advertised simply because they can be filled within the organisation. In an organisation of 100 or more people there will always be contract work coming up, if not ongoing positions as well.

Contact the HR person and show all the initiative and gusto you have. Employers recognise this. It's a mark of distinction. Don't give up - if they tell you they don't have anything going, tell them if they don't mind you will keep checking up. Because THAT is where you want to work.

So few people do this that when somebody does, they get snapped up, and even have positions created for them. I have seen this happen.

Of course the first step is working out your passion/interest - if you don't know this yet, you need to make it a top priority. Study your field, meet with people in the field if you have some contacts, go to open days or career fairs or whatever you have to do to get your head around it, and find out what you want to do. Don't settle.

Also if I were you I would drop the recruitment agency. Just my own opinion but they are sort of a waste of time and money. If you've got personal drive and a bit of passion behind you, they will, if anything, only stifle you. Employment is not a mass production line, it is a highly personal journey and it should be taken as such IMO.

I need some advice. I have been offered a job at a Islamic school. Its not my ideal job, but I really want to work at an Islamic school. If I took this job I would continue to look for a job in a better location doing what I really want. Or is it best for me to stay at my current job? I get to do what I want, but its part time. Plus, its hard to pray here. What do you guys think. Stay where I am and try and find a new job for the fall semster or take the job at the Islamic school and try and find the my ideal job in the fall?

Best place to look for jobs: Ask around at the mosque.

Im not even kidding. Why we don't take advantage of that aspect of the Ummah is beyond me. So many Muslim businesspeople these days!

I need some advice. I have been offered a job at a Islamic school. Its not my ideal job, but I really want to work at an Islamic school. If I took this job I would continue to look for a job in a better location doing what I really want. Or is it best for me to stay at my current job? I get to do what I want, but its part time. Plus, its hard to pray here. What do you guys think. Stay where I am and try and find a new job for the fall semster or take the job at the Islamic school and try and find the my ideal job in the fall?

Why isnt it your ideal job? You could ask the school to let you teach whatever subject that you want to teach, maybe they might let you?

They don't reply because they can tell you have sent your CV to 9 other places.

Now that you know where you want to work, go and get a job there. Forget whether they have vacancies advertised or not; you would be surprised how many internal vacancies arise that are never advertised simply because they can be filled within the organisation. In an organisation of 100 or more people there will always be contract work coming up, if not ongoing positions as well.

Contact the HR person and show all the initiative and gusto you have. Employers recognise this. It's a mark of distinction. Don't give up - if they tell you they don't have anything going, tell them if they don't mind you will keep checking up. Because THAT is where you want to work.

So few people do this that when somebody does, they get snapped up, and even have positions created for them. I have seen this happen.

Of course the first step is working out your passion/interest - if you don't know this yet, you need to make it a top priority. Study your field, meet with people in the field if you have some contacts, go to open days or career fairs or whatever you have to do to get your head around it, and find out what you want to do. Don't settle.

Also if I were you I would drop the recruitment agency. Just my own opinion but they are sort of a waste of time and money. If you've got personal drive and a bit of passion behind you, they will, if anything, only stifle you. Employment is not a mass production line, it is a highly personal journey and it should be taken as such IMO.

How can they know I have sent my CV to so many places? I dont think thats correct. The other day I was speaking to a JobCentre Advisor and he said they look for specific words in your CV with this auto thing and if it does have them then they look at it, otherwise they just ignore it. I've had my CV re-done a few days ago with this other lady, so inshaAllah, I will try sending that one now.

JazakAllah Khair for your advice, I hadnt thought of those options yet. Where I am, I dont know where to go, but I will look up and see where there are organisations that do the type of thing I am interested in.

I dont actually pay the recruitment agency. Its free, but it just gets annoying. They do normal customer service jobs. The only reason I have started looking for any random job is because I couldnt afford to do an MA or something more to get a professional qualification to do something with, like teaching or Social Work. So if I can get a job right now, maybe in a few years time I can go back to studying.

Another thing I am worried about is if I do get a job, any job, I might end up forgetting about what I really want to do. Like I know so many graduates who work in places that have nothing to do with their degree and they have been working there for years. I really dont want to do that but I think I will have to if I cant find a graduate one soon. I really need the money aswell.

If it's something you love you may well have to move to go after it. I don't know how big or small a town you live in (good if it's bigger), but rare are the chances of growing up, going to school, and finding a lifelong job in the same city. Or a lifelong job at all, since people change jobs (and even careers) so much these days. But I digress. Globalize your search and widen your net. If you find the ideal job that you're passionate about, you're lucky if it happens to be in your town, and if it isn't, you might have to follow it.

JazakAllah Khair for your response. It is medium sized. Not as big as many. I do think I will have to search further, but I am waiting to get my driving licence so I can at least have the option of driving there, if I do find one, inshaAllah. It wont really be possible for me to move just yet.