Maniac Muslim Forums

Guest Fufu Xiawoun

what and get fired.

lol, what about when you go for the interview and the woman asks to shake your hand, or you you're working and it's maghrib time? You have to be able to stand up for what you believe is right and have the guts to say 'I'm sorry for religious reasons I don't shake hands with women' or 'I'm sorry for religious reasons I cannot handle alcohol, I would really appreciate if you could give that task to someone else'.

One of my friends was working in a store and her non-muslim colleague made sure she was never doing the lottery because it's not in Islam, and that's without my friend saying anything. People aren't always that considerate so you gotta have the guts to say it yourself and put your beliefs before a job. Allah tala is your provider he won't forsake you. =)

yh but if u work for a franchise i dont think u will get the job. i think they prefer people who do what theyre told, and dont really care about your beliefs when it comes to business. and each franchisee/chain is meant to be consistent with that model

we dont live in a muslim country, u gotta realise not everyone is gnna make way for you and your beliefs.

Guest Fufu Xiawoun

yh but if u work for a franchise i dont think u will get the job. i think they prefer people who do what theyre told, and dont really care about your beliefs when it comes to business. and each franchisee/chain is meant to be consistent with that model

we dont live in a muslim country, u gotta realise not everyone is gnna make way for you and your beliefs.

Blud, I worked for woolworths when they told me about the uniform I said that I want to wear my black abayah - but I can wear a red hijab so it goes with the uniform, they said fine. When I worked with another franchise that has shops all over UK and some European countries, I still wore my abayah and put the tshirt on top of that. And I asked to take 5-10 minutes to do my prayers. Infact I can think of one more job where I kept my abayah on too! And took a break for my salah. Every single job that my sister has done, it's been exactly the same for her, all non-Muslim shops.

I know that I don't live in a Muslim country and that people aren't going to make a way for me and my beliefs that's why I gotta do it myself. None of my managers had a problem with me wearing the abayah or taking 5minutes out to pray, if they did then I wouldn't work there. Plus I don't think you've got the right idea when you say "dont really care about your beliefs when it comes to business" that's not true. If you live in a multi-cultural society you have to accept other peoples beliefs and make way for each other.

Another person I know got offered a promotion to be a Manager at a pharmacy, excellent pay, exactly what they wanted, but it meant they had to work through Friday so they missed Jummah. When he said that he can't accept the job because he doesn't want to miss jummah, the guy said "Well how long does it take you to pray jummah?" and the brother answered 'Only 30minutes', so the guy was like 'Is that it? That's no problem, go do your prayers and take the job'. And guess who got the job? :o

Legally, employers can't not let you do religious duties such as salah, and they can't make you do anything against your religion.

Guest Fufu Xiawoun

Exactly! And you can't say that 'well then they won't employ Muslims' because wherever you go you do see Muslims there who do take the time out to pray, or avoid handling haram stuff.

Yeah legally they can't not hire you just because they think your religious duties will get in the way of work. Most employers are really flexible, but you have to be understanding too. Have to use hikmah when dealing with these things.

Then again, some employers will agree to you being able to pray, have Eid off etc. but will persuade you to come in 'because we're gonna be swamped' or 'just pray in half an hour, we could really use your help'. That's where you have to be firm and let them know that Islam comes first.

Guest Fufu Xiawoun

^ That's it, you have to use your wisdom and make compromises where it's realistically possible to, and at the same time you have to be firm and know your deen comes first.

No it wouldn't, Mogambroony, as long as you tell them you wanna pray at the start of Asr and not 10 minutes before Maghrib.

Also, you have to be aware that your employer has rights over you Islamically. I was listening to a talk by Sheikh Bilal Ismail and he said that when you work, your work is fardh cuz you've signed a contract that you're gonna do it. So when you pray, you can only pray your fardh, unless your employer says otherwise, because your fardh of working is more important than the sunnah prayers.

Guest Fufu Xiawoun

^ Wow, that's deep. Makes you think about all the other contracts you sign so easily.

Hmm yeah. And all the duties we have that we disregard so easily.

nah but the difference is that wearing hijab isnt going against what they asked you to do. you arent slowing down the whole team, if i refuse to stack wine bottles i am directly disobeying thier orders.

also everyone gets a break right, so you could easily pray then. you arent going against orders