Maniac Muslim Forums
Mufasa

What makes a nerd a nerd?

Among the many cliques (preps, jocks, emo, scene, nerds, hipsters, etc.), there are some who choose, and others whom are chosen. From my observations, a nerd rarely chooses to be so. In such cases, the want is quite clear, and he or she would likely fall under the hipster category. Some people *cough* *cough* are just nerds, maybe not even to their own knowledge. But what makes one a nerd? Is it the way he or she dresses? Is it the way he or she acts? Is it about the interests of the individual? Is it a combination of factors? If it is, for example, based on one's personality: what is that personality that constitutes a nerd? Is it discomfort and shyness? Awkwardness?

I'm trying to put my finger on it. I thought it was more an awkwardness thing, but what about when someone who is normally awkward/uncomfortable steps out of that and acts outgoing? Has she or he then stepped out of nerd-dom? Or let's say, for example, someone who's very close with a nerd starts to grow accustomed to the nerd's quirks and awkwardness - and the nerd in fact grows comfortable and outgoing... would that friend stop noticing the nerdiness of her or his friend?

I guess the media have given us a certain 'profile' on what a nerd is. I get called a nerd because I wear glasses and I blog. Some others would get called nerds because they do maths or science. It depends.

But I assume that people would interpret me to be a nerd before they even know my interests (reading, politics, writing, etc.). I don't think glasses alone have that sort of power, because I've met non-nerds with glasses.

Among the many cliques (preps, jocks, emo, scene, nerds, hipsters, etc.), there are some who choose, and others whom are chosen. From my observations, a nerd rarely chooses to be so. In such cases, the want is quite clear, and he or she would likely fall under the hipster category. Some people *cough* *cough* are just nerds, maybe not even to their own knowledge. But what makes one a nerd? Is it the way he or she dresses? Is it the way he or she acts? Is it about the interests of the individual? Is it a combination of factors? If it is, for example, based on one's personality: what is that personality that constitutes a nerd? Is it discomfort and shyness? Awkwardness?

I'm trying to put my finger on it. I thought it was more an awkwardness thing, but what about when someone who is normally awkward/uncomfortable steps out of that and acts outgoing? Has she or he then stepped out of nerd-dom? Or let's say, for example, someone who's very close with a nerd starts to grow accustomed to the nerd's quirks and awkwardness - and the nerd in fact grows comfortable and outgoing... would that friend stop noticing the nerdiness of her or his friend?

its all of this and more- mainly asking people one may or may not know 'am i a nerd?' . HaHAha. honestly, nerds are the best, i wish i were one. truely.

Also, there are certain nerdy things I do. For example: internet forums, read/write blogs, read books a lot, enjoy school, get good grades, and so on.

But then, I also wear glasses, have weird posture, kind of weak, small, skinny, etc.

to add to it, my personality: shy, uncomfortable, awkward, a lot of quirks, ocd.

So does one cause the other? Do they go together? Is it just the luck of the draw?

Hah, does MM have a lot of self-confessed nerds?

I think nerdy-ness starts when people start getting too into a certain academic field.

Like being obsessed with science, maths, english, anything really.

But this is just from people that I have known to be known as nerds, although I dont know many nerds here.

Also, there are certain nerdy things I do. For example: internet forums, read/write blogs, read books a lot, enjoy school, get good grades, and so on.

But then, I also wear glasses, have weird posture, kind of weak, small, skinny, etc.

to add to it, my personality: shy, uncomfortable, awkward, a lot of quirks, ocd.

So does one cause the other? Do they go together? Is it just the luck of the draw?

Haha, nerd alert :idiot:

nerd.jpg

And dude, don't put yourself down, shyness is good, there's some Hadiths out there somewhere, just gotta find them

And lol if you feel skinng and weak, join a gym

I don't think you're a nerd imo

And OCD people are super organised and neat

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure I'm a grade A nerd. I think I just have nerdy attributes. But I can't tell for certain.

But my wonder is whether the attributes come in a package, if its alchemy, or if one causes the others...

I think a lot of nerds are not actually nerds, they just have that label attached to them because 1-2 people called them a nerd and thats spread around so theyve become known as 'nerds'.

I think it's human nature to categorize and judge (positively/negatively) most things and other people. But everyone is different so whilst some may have similar attributes, i personally don't think they should be categorised as a 'nerd' or 'jock' etc. Maybe calling them such, only forces them to become more like their label, and make them feel less comfortable to show attributes outside their label. Therefore only enforcing the stereotype more.

Besides the definitions of these cliques or the attributes defined by them, change with time, place and more importantly fashion. Like it's fashionable now to wear big black glasses in the UK, which would have been deemed nerdy once. But to answer your question, I think at the moment society would deem someone who cares more for their education and prefers maths/sciency subjects and not be as out going, to be a nerd.

To me it just means caring about school and getting excited over esoteric or academic stuff. It might also be nerdiness that makes me chose to watch 'boring' shows like C-SPAN and Jeopardy and listen to public radio instead of something fun and exciting like music. There's different kinds of nerds depending on the subject. People mentioned science/math but you also have political nerds, literary geeks, dungeons and dragons players, etc. Maybe the label just applies to anyone who's passionate about something [fill in the blank. different than what is popularly considered fun?].

But sometimes you know someone's a nerd before you are aware of their hobbies/interests.

Yeah, you can tell when they wear glasses, have weird posture, are kind of weak, small, skinny, etc.

Jk though, since there are too many exceptions to the 'rules' it's hard to 'know someone's a nerd before you are aware of their hobbites/interests/personality.'

edit: hobbites was perhaps a freudian nerd slip.

Haha S...

Well the classic nerd is someone who wears nerdy glasses due to bad eyesight, genuinely loves math, is introverted, and wears ill-fitting clothing due to a lack of fashion sense.

Then you get all these variations of nerds in different fields, as well as the intellectually brilliant folks who are ironic wannabe nerds ( actually hipsters, identified as so because classic nerds do not wear skinny jeans and ride bikes)