Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sundayschool

In the Land of Blood and Honey

Has anyone seen this? It's about the Bosnian War. I would like to point out that it has a lot of nudity, for people who would be uncomfortable with that.

It's gotten mixed reviews, and I think a lot of it has to do with politics. It's a shame that there are people who still fail to recognize the genocide for what it was.

This is the movie Angelina Jolie made?

I think she directed it. Not my kind of thing really. I'll watch it if it comes on telly lol.

Yes it's the Jolie one. I think a lot of people were looking forward to this one as she really seemed to have her research down, lots of time spent in the country speaking to people; I think she also cast local actors and the film was first filmed in Bosnian rather than English, and has English subtitles.

Have you seen it sundayschool? How do you think it works out as a movie and peice of story-telling about the history of the region?

I liked it. It had its flaws, but I think it was an important topic that Jolie handled tastefully. I wish she had given more background about the war, and the portrayal of the Serbs could have been fleshed out more, but it certainly highlighted the atrocities of the war. I also think that the piece proved why we need more female filmmakers, since the movie didn't just focus on heroic men in battle scenes with a few shots here and there of women just sitting around anxiously, waiting for the men to come back home. It spent a lot of time not only showing how women suffer terribly because of wars, but also how they make meaningful contributions in their own right.

^ Do you think that choice of what is portrayedl is really down to the filmmaker's gender though?

Most of the movies in Hollywood, and in many other film industries, overwhelmingly feature men in substantial roles. Women are often relegated to the token stereotype character (ice queen, bubbly shopaholic, eye candy, etc). I think this is partially because most of the film directors are men. I think it's important for women to become more involved in the public sphere because they also have valuable experiences that need to be shared.

Of course, men and women share common experiences as human beings, but at the same time, both sexes have gender-specific experiences. This film focused a lot on women, and there were many scenes on rape and motherhood. I'm not saying that the fact that Jolie is a woman was the only reason the film turned out this way, or that a male director couldn't have made this. I just think that it was an important factor, that as a woman, Jolie was able to identify more with the anguish of female war victims.

That's interesting, and seems to make sense.

At the same time, I'm not sure we'd applaud the next male-directed movie for giving us that valuable uniquely male perspective.

just by reading reviews, I gather that there are lots of criticism and backlash. apparently people are not ready to accept the autricities done by serbs, and people do not like depicting "muslims" as victims deserving sympathy.

That's interesting, and seems to make sense.

At the same time, I'm not sure we'd applaud the next male-directed movie for giving us that valuable uniquely male perspective.

That's because we usually get the male perspective, but we don't get the female perspective enough. It's similar to why we have no White History Month, because culture mainly focuses on white achievements, and not enough on those of minorities (hence Black History Month).

just by reading reviews, I gather that there are lots of criticism and backlash. apparently people are not ready to accept the autricities done by serbs, and people do not like depicting "muslims" as victims deserving sympathy.

I totally agree. Many people are criticizing the movie, asking if it's really necessary at this time and that it seems like a UN history lesson. The fact that it was sponsored by the Council on Foreign Relations is being interpreted as propaganda. God forbid if we actually learn something from a movie.