Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rasmalai

-SHERLOCK (BBC)-

Hello lazy people, why don't we just discuss the series and forget about these reviews?

Ugh, let's get this show on the road. (Was going to edit it, but can't be bothered - cut and paste, here's the lot.) Also spud is right, the real stories are indeed pwnage.

Sherlock, Series 2, BBC1

I like my Sherlock Holmes traditional but I, also, have often had pipe dreams about 'updating' Holmes for the 21st century, wondering how old-fashioned a character would fit into this crazy world. Before I could do anything about it though, Steve Moffat stole my dreams and made them better. The first series of Sherlock was electric and near perfect. It's well worth watching both series in order, as the characters personalities and relationships develop over the course of both series.

I was hoping that this series would be just as fantastic all the way through as the first: all the elements are still there: from the sweeping, perfectly pitched theme music, to the perfect casting (also I think Benedict Cumberbatch may be my most favourite name in the world), to the fast and zingy script, and of course the absolutely gorgeous direction. They do they take liberties with the extent of Holmes' deductions but that's part of the fun.

So, with all this greatness to hand I was disappointed to hear that series two of Sherlock was going to start with the ultimate lapse of imagination. The Robert Downey Jr movie did it recently, and it's been done scores of times before in all kinds of pastiches: to have Irene Adler as Holmes' love interest. Not only does this miss the point of Holmes completely, it's boring. Far more interesting to see her as a true adversary to Holmes - the only woman who could beat him at his own game, not this sex obsessed dominatrix crap. The pre watershed nudity was completely unecessary, and this episode just seemed so into itself. I loved the Christmas scene with Molly though, she's a great character, beautifully played.

And, despite all the tarting up, this episode was essentially about

a phone's lock code.

That, plus the completely deus ex machina ending meant that while I enjoyed it greatly, there were a lot of flaws to look past.

The second episode really threw for a loop though. What in God's name were the script writers thinking?! This episode was chock full of minor irritating points that took Holmes' already stretched deductive abilities into 'Godlike' mode. Apart from his cringeworthy 'mind palace' a few other things that could have been fixed include:

The silly way Stapleton decides to help Holmes because he threatens to tell her daughter what happened to her rabbit (coincidentally, the daughter e-mailed Holmes, and he happened to bump into her mum in Yorkshire. Right.)

I loved the way the password for a top military base was 'maggie'. You can't sign up to Yahoo! with a password like that. The way we were expected to buy into how Holmes worked it out was ludicrous. (and really, another password crack? really?)

The 'unknown drug that makes you hallucinate one specific thing that is unknown to man and science' has to be THE single laziest plot device ever. The way the old weapons team had commemorative t-shirts drawn up didn't help.

I also really disliked the way that Holmes basically

drugged Watson with something he knows nothing about, and Watson doesn't really seem to care.

The Hound of the Baskervilles is essentially a Victorian Gothic story though, and it was a shame that all of that atmosphere was discarded for high-tech sci-fi wizardry. Even if they had gone Techno-goth it would have been nice to have that element.

The last episode though, the last episode. Oh it made up for so much. So, so, much. In the first two episodes Holmes was too preening, too obnoxious. This episode just shifted him into someone with Aspergers like traits, which not only makes his character much more understandable, it also gives a more defined role to Watson. So that's what he's for! He's guiding Holmes through life, everytime he tells Holmes to smile, or to thank someone, or to be nice, it's made clear in a really nice way that Holmes needs Watson. Molly was also, again, fabulous in this episode (and possibly crucial, considering the ending.) Watson, I think, could have shown a little more emotion towards the end

considering he was mourning the death of his best friend.

, but all in all the episode was fantastic, breath-taking. I feel that the

close up shot of Holmes at the end was unnecessary, and would have liked to have seen him as a stylised silhouette in the distance

I also loved the way this story was relocated to London, London's near been a character in itself throughout both series, looking fantastic in every shot. As Holmes defined the image of foggy Victorian London, it's only natural such a crucial episode was set in this city. Also loved the use of classical music in this episode, and the cameo from Douglas Wilmer (and ex-sherlock, old man in club ringing the bell) was cool.

So - let the speculation begin! How did he do it? My theory

496833430.png?d9c344

Oh finallllyyyyy! I thought you people would never get to it. I think I aleady conveyed 90% of my thoughts to Rasmalai on chat and now I'm starting to forget. By the way, lady, I couldn't see the image at the end.

Please note that my post is FULL OF SPOILERS. Read at your own risk.

First season thoughts:

I LOVED the first season. It was brilliant. I loved the way Sherlock's mind is shown to work. How he comes to the many conclusions. I especially like the floating thoughts in mid air.

1st ep: I hate being left in the dark about the whole pill deal. How did the guy win every time? Was the other pill actually safe? How did he differentiate? Even holmes couldn't tell what he got. Why was he not curious enough to analyse his choice and the other pill? Very annoying and unlikely situation.

2nd ep: Bit where the girl takes every precaution to escape being killed by her brother and then just gives up and not lock the door or go into hiding at the LAST moment. Doesn't make sense. Also, she could have just cracked the code in a minute and not taken forever when she knew it was critically important. Or at the very least told them what book she used. Also, how does a gang that work in China use a "London AtoZ" book to code a secret message? And isn't it silly to assume every Londoner would have this book?

3rd ep: I really liked this episode but I can't say I care for the villian. His voice/style of speaking truly annoyed me. Especially considering he played the part of a normal human being (actor) really well. =/

Second season thoughts:

I'd have to say that I was a bit disappointed by this season compared to the first. I didn't find it as thrilling although it had it's good moments.

1st ep: I didn't care for the dominatrix aspect but the nudity aspect, from my perspective, was an interesting twist if she used it specifically so that Sherlock found it impossible to read off of her. How he guessed her dimensions and that the safe was booby trapped is a little far fetched. Especially the latter. Also, Irine couldn't have known that he'd figure it out. What annoyed me further is that he knew the safe was dangerous but turned his back on her when he was with her in her bedroom so that she was able to stab him with an injection. How ridiculous! The end where he knows that she's in Pakistan and helps her escape is again a little too much. No one noticed his own disappearance?

2nd ep: HATED this ep purely because I hate scary stuff. Apart from that it was a very stupid episode that was dragged along unnecessarily. Why was Sherlock excited by the word "hound"? I did like the fact that Sherlock was frightened. Strange that Watson couldn't even see that. No one is THAT blind. One more thing that confuses me. If the guy, Henry, was drugged and imagined the whole hound aspect, what on Earth was going on with his lights? Why was he hallucinating at that time? And if it wasn't a hallucination, what smashed against his window glass?

3rd ep: May be it's me but I didn't find this episode all that thrilling. They had been leading up to the fact that sherlock dies. Plus the MMers who had already seen this episode were hinting at it being emotional. Half way through the episode I figured that it's unlikely he'll die. When he met with Molly I knew he had a plan. I just don't know how he pulled it off. One thing I disliked is the fact that he never checked to see if the villian was dead or not. Why wouldn't you if you know your life and your friends' lives are at greater risk? Silly. One of the clues that Sherlock really did fake his death was that the emergency team came out of no where and took his body off into an alley. Why didn't watson follow? Your best friend just died! I would have expected you to go all the way to the hospital and see if the dr.s can revive him even if it's impossible. I'm guessing Holmes wanted watson to stay at a distance because otherwise he would have noticed something, maybe a group of people catch Holmes in a net or some kind of rope or cord that prevented him from slamming into the ground? Perhaps the people around were in on it. Molly's friends or such. The kid on the bike bumped into watson on purpose to slow him down. But that's just what I'm guessing.

My post sounds very negative but I honestly did like the show and enjoy it in spite of these issues that, to me, were holes in the plot.

read a case in bohemia, theres a pretty major clue in there.

also note how moriarti says you only need a few participents

was an interesting twist if she used it specifically so that Sherlock found it impossible to read off of her.

But that made even less sense; White Rose you are a doctor, what would a naked body tell you? Scars, surgeries, to minor points like the condition of her skin, hair and nails, etc etc. Sherlock Holmes was based on a doctor too, he used deductions from his patients' appearance to figure out their occupations, illnesses, what have you, and Sherlock got nothing. The other thing about this episode is that irritated me was that here was a man without much experience of women who is able to guess her exact measurements first go, then cannot identify her body on a mortuarty slab. The writers really need to be consistent about what Sherlock can and cannot do - sometimes he seems psychic, then the next can't do the simplest thing.

The end where he knows that she's in Pakistan and helps her escape is again a little too much. No one noticed his own disappearance?

More than a little - plain ridiculous! Unless... do you think that that that's not a flash back, but a flash forward? In the original stories he faked his death and went travelling to Afghanistan, India, Arabia and Europe. Maybe with her connections Adler helped him out too. I mean she was able to get a perfect match (I guess) for her own body, so why not for Sherlock? The dummy body was thrown off the roof and Holmes escaped.

Why didn't watson follow?

Can't remember clearly, but wasn't it made fairly clear that Watson was concussed after he was knocked to the ground? Also yep a lot of your theory is plausible, he needs watso to keep his distance, but also to stand in a specific position, possibly to block his view?

My post sounds very negative but I honestly did like the show and enjoy it in spite of these issues that, to me, were holes in the plot.

:D I know exactly what you mean! Despite all the negativity of my posts, I liked this show a lot and would rewatch all the episodes too!

But that made even less sense; White Rose you are a doctor, what would a naked body tell you? Scars, surgeries, to minor points like the condition of her skin, hair and nails, etc etc. Sherlock Holmes was based on a doctor too, he used deductions from his patients' appearance to figure out their occupations, illnesses, what have you, and Sherlock got nothing. The other thing about this episode is that irritated me was that here was a man without much experience of women who is able to guess her exact measurements first go, then cannot identify her body on a mortuarty slab. The writers really need to be consistent about what Sherlock can and cannot do - sometimes he seems psychic, then the next can't do the simplest thing.

Well, it would make sense if she did have deformities or scars or something of the sort. But they do show him usually noticing clothing rather than the actual body. And it was indeed strange that he confused the body with hers. And you're right about the psychic part. He does come across that way at times.

More than a little - plain ridiculous! Unless... do you think that that that's not a flash back, but a flash forward? In the original stories he faked his death and went travelling to Afghanistan, India, Arabia and Europe. Maybe with her connections Adler helped him out too. I mean she was able to get a perfect match (I guess) for her own body, so why not for Sherlock? The dummy body was thrown off the roof and Holmes escaped.

It couldn't have been a flash forward. Because they made it appear as him thinking back to the events and then laughing. I haven't read the original stories so I don't have anything to compare to but that's interesting. I guess it's possible that he took a holiday during that time. Although according to her mobile, she never even made contact with him. So did he locate her via some GPS tracker on her phone? How does he sense she's in danger or is it just to be assumed that she's going to be in danger in Pakistan? :rolleyes:

Can't remember clearly, but wasn't it made fairly clear that Watson was concussed after he was knocked to the ground? Also yep a lot of your theory is plausible, he needs watso to keep his distance, but also to stand in a specific position, possibly to block his view?

Yes, but he reaches the place where Sherlock is lying. He makes his way through the crowd, sees Sherlock's body and then people come, place it on a stretcher and run away with it while he just slumps to the ground in a daze.

:D I know exactly what you mean! Despite all the negativity of my posts, I liked this show a lot and would rewatch all the episodes too!

*high five* :D

Also, I love the fact that Holmes waits for the police to return with a warrant before making a daring and impractical escape instead of silently vanishing in the time they went to go get it. WHY DON'T WRITERS THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS!

Which episode was this? I only remember them handcuffing him. Oh and you know what else is ridiculous? When that taxicab guy comes and stands in the house and the phone reads, "come with me" and the police and Watson and everyone is completely oblivious to Sherlock going with him and then disappearing. I mean, how stupid are you people? :no:

The last one, the Reichenbach Fall. They all start suspecting Holmes of setting up the crimes and the police go round to question him. Sherlock sends them away and they come back with a warrant, and he predicts they will too as it is standard proceudure. Instead of just disappearing in the meantime, he and Watson are handcuffed, Sherlock steals a gun, pretends to hold Watson hostage, threaten the police with the gun and run off into the streets of London, still handcuffed. And then everyone seems to kind of forget they were fugitives and Watson is able to revisit the scene of the crime without being stopped.

I know what I would do in that situation, and it isn't the stealing gun plan :D