Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rasmalai

-SHERLOCK (BBC)-

where can i watch the 1st season?

I believe Netflix are showing it. You can also buy the region-free Bluray of both seasons. The second season Blu-ray actually came out today. :yes:

Oh something just occurred to me! In the final episode, we see Holmes bouncing around a little rubber ball in the Lab at King's College. There is a very old magician's/psychic trick - you tuck the rubber ball under your armpit, and hey presto! You stop your radial pulse (on your wrist). So is there a way he could have jumped to safety, faked the head injury, and tucked the rubber ball under his arm? So Watson can't feel the pulse, then with the help of Molly his 'body' is taken away quickly and switch with someone else's.

Did he feel the pulse? Most dr.s who can't feel the radial pulse in trauma situations, go for the carotid. But it's quite likely what he did. Nice. :) I saw this technique used by a magician on a show.

I could be wrong, but I do distinctly remember him feeling a radial pulse. I think we were supposed to buy into the fact that he was too dazed to feel the carotid (neck one, right?)

Yep. And yes I guess he did feel for it. I just remembered thinking how stupid for him to push through the crowd and then slump into the ground. But it makes sense considering he thought his friend died. You may very well be right though. Even if he didn't feel for it, the general public may easily have done that.

1st ep: I hate being left in the dark about the whole pill deal. How did the guy win every time? Was the other pill actually safe? How did he differentiate? Even holmes couldn't tell what he got. Why was he not curious enough to analyse his choice and the other pill? Very annoying and unlikely situation.

Heh see that ending was slightly disappointing to me too, but only because I am bit of a magic geek, so it's not as mystifying as you would think! It's a variation of this ol' mentalism trick, so it's a very plausible way to kill a lot of people if you are any good at it. Been looking for this for you for ages!

Esp from about 1:46 onwards!

Edit: sigh, someone remind me about embedding vids again?

Heh see that ending was slightly disappointing to me too, but only because I am bit of a magic geek, so it's not as mystifying as you would think! It's a variation of this ol' mentalism trick, so it's a very plausible way to kill a lot of people if you are any good at it. Been looking for this for you for ages!

Esp from about 1:46 onwards!

Edit: sigh, someone remind me about embedding vids again?

That's fantastic. How did he do the double bluff? I mean would most people pick the bottle that the opponent chose for himself?

He's cool, right? I think part of it has to do with experience - a bunch of people in a group do things in patterns so that's some of it. Some of, I am sure, is just confusion (like he talks to her really quickly and intensely) so she's made to doubt herself. And also he's a magician, so he may also use misdirection and sleight of hand to get someone to pick what he wants them to.

Man, I'd love to learn in. I'm in awe. :wow:

I went and saw a few other videos of his and they are quite good. Like the one with the medical students where he induces pain in all and then numbness in one. Quite scary actually if it was a genuine video. That is to have that much power over someone's mind.

Awesome! Glad you liked it! Yep he is quite awesome and reasonably well known in the UK. Don't forget he is a magician though - he presents each episode with the disclaimer with that he uses a mixture of 'magic, misdirection and showmanship' so he's really clever in that he uses a combination of techniques to give the impression that he can read minds etc. So for the pain thing I think part of it is that pain is to some extent in the mind, but also he uses the back of the hand, I think that area is not hugely innervated, I think you should be able to take a pinch of the skin back there and twist it round to some extent without much pain anyway.

But I love speculating about this stuff - it's interesting to see if you can figure it out!

It's the moment that both our readers have been waiting for - the Murasaki/GuerillaRadio tapes. In 1944, lady_murasaki_sa and GuerillaRadio met in a basic recording studio in the heart of the Mississippi delta to just 'jam' and shoot the breeze. These two legendary figures in bluegrass music showcased some of the earliest blues artists, and talked about everything from Sherlock to Watson! The tapes were lost for near half a century however, until they were found in the libraries of an eccentric Venezualen haberdasher, who said that he thought they were the orginal plans for the Battle of Waterloo. How wrong he was! It is our privilege and pleasure to bring you:

GuerillaRadio and lady_murasaki_sa in Conversation: Would You Like to Come Up and See My Monograph on Cigar Ash?

1. Which reference to the original stories did you most enjoy?

lady_murasaki_sa: The one that made me smile is the references in the first episode to Mycroft having lost weight - in the original books Mycroft was shown to be a huge tall fat man. I also loved the way that Sherlock told Watson all about his life from his mobile phone, in the original I think it was done with his pocket watch.

GuerillaRadio: The Mycroft reference was awesome. But the one I most enjoyed was the phone/pocketwatch bit. It not only parallels the mechanics of Sherlock's deduction but also the beginnings of Watson's fascination. Great stuff.

2. Would you change anything about the series?

lady_murasaki_sa: In this first series not much - I liked the way that Sherlock occassionally made mistakes in his deductions, though over the course of the series I think they extended that to points where his insights were just silly.

The thing I really would have loved to have seen is an amendment of the Watson meets Sherlock scene - it seriously would have made my day (lame I know) if the modern day Holmes had greeted the modern day Watson with the same immortal words used upon their first meeting: "You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive." Then Watson could have corrected him with 'Iraq' and so on. A nice link to the Canon and also reinforces Holmes's way of being able to make good deductions but some times flawed. Instead we got the terse. "Afghanistan or Iraq?"

GuerillaRadio: I also share her desire for some of the same iconic dialogue.

I've considered some possibilities. Maybe Holmes' extraordinary ability is placed in contrast with the resources at Scotland Yard's disposal. Maybe Holmes has purely 'modern' problems. Okay, and maybe fewer aphorisms in the second episode. Everyone has their preferences. But, man, there are so many crappy crime shows on TV, and when you see this show, you can't help but think it's the new standard. The CSIs have idiotic montages of 'scientists in action,' the NSCIs have horrible acting, and I'm also going to air my grievences with Bones later. This show is awesome, and I wouldn't change anything significant about it.

The second series--that's another issue entirely.

3. If you were Watson - how many of Sherlock's foibles would you put up with?

lady_murasaki_sa: Gosh, not many. In the first series especially, Sherlock is mostly an arrogant so and so rather than someone with Aspergers-like traits as he is shown in the second series. He is basically allowed to do what he likes and treat people how he likes with everyone just going along with it, but I guess that's the price you pay for hanging out with a genius.

GuerillaRadio: If I concluded that Holmes couldn't do what he did without me, then I would put up with all of it. The benefit Holmes provides to society is so great, and my abilities so comparatively small, that I wouldn't mind giving my time to someone like that.

But I think Holmes could do what he does without me, so I'd probably walk. The guy is a jerk, and especially when I'd have to spend so much time with him, I don't think I could put up with it. While there's something to be said for 'being in the presence of genius,' it wouldn't be enough to sway me without the conditions described above

4. Does Sherlock suffer from a personality disorder?

lady_murasaki_sa: I was going to say yes, but just realised - personality disorders usually refer to things such as schizophrenia, narcisstic personality disorder and so on. I don't think that's what the character of Holmes is - I think he is someone who is single minded to the point of selfishness to reach a goal, yes, highly intelligent yet emotionally stunted, yup. I think in the first series it come across mostly as arrogance though, and his personality seems more House-like; it's in the second series where we see how he relies on Watson to take the emotional temperature of any situation and prompt him to perform appropriately that he comes across as having more asperger's like behaviours.

GuerillaRadio: I have a slightly different take. If I'm going by exclusively what I know in the first 'series' (what a cool way for you Brits to put it, too), Sherlock seems like an aspy. His intense singlemindedness, his lack of regard for those around him--all that stuff seems to point in such a direction.

But with the benefit of the second season (and I'll try not to ruin it for others), I think the good lady(_muraski_sa) has it on the button. He's just selfish, arrogant, and emotionally stunted. What I mistook for a lack of innate natural capacity for emotion didn't appear to be that.

5. Who on MM would be Sherlock & Watson?

lady_murasaki_sa: Erm, no one springs naturally to mind. Sorry MM!

GuerillaRadio: lady_muraski_sa, I expected more of an answer from you! In any case, Sherlock, by my lights, is just a little bit like our r-z. Our brother's deductive skills are wonderful, and he sometimes shows the same hilarious intolerance for poor reasoning. But the similarities stop there. r-z exhibits compassion, empathy, and some awesomness that Sherlock can't match. Also, I think he has more friends.

Who is our Watson? It's someone who is smart, socially aware, and reliable. While there are many folks like that on MM, you've got to go with white-rose because she's also a doctor.

6. Which episode of the first season is the best?

lady_murasaki_sa: Hm. The first. It's fun being introduced to the characters, seeing how they interact and how the show sets up its universe. The second episode was good but had that terrible script for the Chinese characters, who all spoke in oh-so-wise aphorisms that were just cringeworthy.

GuerillaRadio: I couldn't agree more with lady_muraski_sa (again). A Study in Pink--the first episode, is awesome. The premise is not all that farfetched. I could see folks dying in such circumstances, though I wouldn't see it going as smoothly for the criminal. I can't agree more that the introduction to the characters was incredible. It was compact, entertaining, and wasn't formulaic.

The other two episodes weren't bad, by the way. I enjoyed them, too. But the first was fantastic.

7. Can a person with Sherlock's abilities actully exist?

lady_murasaki_sa: I believe to some extent deduction is a reasonable way to draw conclusions about a person and their life, but one thing you can't have in real life is a narrative; the Sherlock stories are written backwards, and the conclusions decided upon by an author precisely for how good they are for drawing inferences from. IRL it's different - real life is random, with people acting out of character or illogically all the time.This definitely limits how iron-cast your final conclusions can be. It can be fun and for small things you can have an impressive effect but to solve whole crimes with such definitive outcomes is probably highly unlikely.

GuerillaRadio: lady_muraski_sa's description of the episodes are, mashaAllah, outstanding. If you want to know how these things work, I'd give that a read. I agree almost entirely, but let me describe it somewhat differently. A few years ago, I read an introduction to a physics book that gorgeously described the challenge of science. You see a car, it's rattling around, there's bugs smacking into the windshield, there are all sorts of forces acting on it. And from this chaos, we can extract incredibly useful information: its speed, how gravity acts on it, &c. The problem with Sherlock is that he seems to have a somewhat imperfect theory on everything. There are people with nearly impeccable deductive skill in this world. But logic can only take you so far when you're trying to predict things like murder.

8. What makes this show so damn enjoyable?

lady_murasaki_sa: Holmes is a well loved character, the casting is perfect, the theme music is perfect, the setting is perfect, the pacing is great and the direction is beautiful. all these things combine to form one heckuva show!

GuerillaRadio: lady_muraski_sa makes some great points about why this show is so great, and mashaAllah. I love the acting and pace. The scripting is also really impressive. But what does it for me is slightly different. Even though Sherlock is presented with a complicated world, a bunch of the variables are limited by the camera--by what we're shown. What's so awesome is that he sees what I see--but he draws the right conclusion. Contrast that with Bones, which is a crime show in the US that runs about 20 episodes per season. It's littered with ridiculous stereotypes about scientists/smart people, crappy acting, and worst: there's no way you solve the case given what you're presented.

Music Publisher's Music Publishing hopes you have enjoyed your listening experience. Please don't forget to rewind the book when you are done.