Maniac Muslim Forums
cocoacupcake

Shia' Islam

probably best to ask a shia this, b/c this is a predominantly sunni forum, and plenty of people on here have no problem with bashing shias.

What specifically did you want to learn about sis?

We have a lovely sister here called Gole Golab (she is less active now than she used to be unfortunately- but I'm sure can be called in!) to help you with particular issues if you need insha'Allah.

did you try google? wikipedia? every thing you need is there.

ps> I mean shia sources are there.

RZ recommending wiki and google? duuuuuuuuude! that is awesome!

RZ recommending wiki and google? duuuuuuuuude! that is awesome!

why not? It's freeeeedddooooome!!!!

seriously, suppose you wanted to find out about what islam is all about. you go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam

6 articles of faith, five pillars, and some history - now you already know more than most muslims

Now suppose you want to know about shia beliefs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shia_Islam#Doctrine

done!

^I'll take a glance at that later.

In the meantime if the OP or anyone else has questions that they have, I'll be happy to do my best to answer them. Also, I can provide you sources from which you can get your answer from, better to read straight from a source rather than have someone tell you what they have read or heard.

I was gonna watch that next! I'll try to transcribe it iA.

^I'll take a glance at that later.

In the meantime if the OP or anyone else has questions that they have, I'll be happy to do my best to answer them. Also, I can provide you sources from which you can get your answer from, better to read straight from a source rather than have someone tell you what they have read or heard.

I do!!

How did Shiaism start? I know ppl say it's with the whole Ali (ra) thing, but my brother was saying that it actually became more of a formalized sect in later centuries, and esp during the Safavid Empire.

I'm sure SHN (seyyed hossein nasr, my hero) has written about it -- actually, I KNOW that he has a book called Shia Islam -- but if you have any other (hopefully short?) reads, I'd be grateful too XD

Also, if it's not too personal, I'd be interested in knowing why you, personally, are Shia. XD My friend is Shia, but she's drifting towards Sunnism, I think partially cuz of my influence (I can't help it :/ ), partially cuz most of the Shias we know are not at all practising, and partially cuz all the YouTube lectures with Nouman Ali Khan and the like are by Sunnis...

How did Shiaism start? I know ppl say it's with the whole Ali (ra) thing, but my brother was saying that it actually became more of a formalized sect in later centuries, and esp during the Safavid Empire.

So first off the term "Shi'a" means follower. So if I am a follower of Obama (which I'm not lol) I can say I am a shia of Obama, it's not an exclusive term.

In regards to how it started, it was never "founded" persay, but it always existed. Shia in an Islamic Context means the follower of the prophet and his ahlul bayt (prophet's family). So there were always shias, this divide really became noticable right at the time of the Prophet's (PBUH) demise when the question of successorship arised. There were people, shias, that believed that the prophet left behind the quran and his ahlul bayt (and the successorship) and there were people, sunnis, who believed that the prophet left the quran, his sunnah, and left the Ummah to decide on a successorship. From there, these two masses became defined

I'm sure SHN (seyyed hossein nasr, my hero) has written about it -- actually, I KNOW that he has a book called Shia Islam -- but if you have any other (hopefully short?) reads, I'd be grateful too XD

Ha short...I can recommend you a short narration about the battle of Karbala, what happened there, and what it was about; another topic that many of my brothers ask me about.

"Tears & Tributes" by Zakir. It's an easy read, only 110 pages but well worth it.

If you want to have a good understanding of a shia islam, here is Peshawar Nights. It's a book too, but here is the online version. I'm pretty sure it will answer many questions about Shia Islam:

http://www.al-islam.org/peshawar/

Also, if it's not too personal, I'd be interested in knowing why you, personally, are Shia. XD My friend is Shia, but she's drifting towards Sunnism, I think partially cuz of my influence (I can't help it :/ ), partially cuz most of the Shias we know are not at all practising, and partially cuz all the YouTube lectures with Nouman Ali Khan and the like are by Sunnis...

Of course. I was born into a shia family, so obviously being raised shia I am grounded there. However, I have a lot of sunni bros :) and so I always have the opportunity to learn Islam from a different perspective. But after reading a lot of history, my stance is that if people can respect the Prophet and the Sahaba, why can't they respect the prophet's family?

Oh and I do watch a lot of Nouman Ali Khan, he's great! I went to one of his lectures when he was in the area.

With Shias Hassanain Rajab Ali is really great, and Ammar Nakshawani (from the UK) gives really captivating lectures.

I think you will find this interesting:

Who are the Shia - Hassanain Rajab Ali (youtube it)

Also is it true that (mainstream) Shias think the Qur'an is incomplete?

Not true madam, no such thing as a shia quran either. Mind if I ask where you hear these from? Communities, online sources? Just gauging because people ask me questions and I have no idea where they come from