Maniac Muslim Forums
Zimbabwe

For Nadeem 'Cool Side' Jones

Sadaqah Jariyah for Nadeem 'Cool Side' Jones  

38 members have voted

1. 1. POLL CLOSED! Alhamdulillah, with 79% of the votes, we will be going for a deep community well in Africa (Somalia, Gambia, Senegal or Sudan) costing £2500 to install insha'Allah. Keep donations coming and spread the world pretty please :)

• Yay alhamdulillah!
    • YAY alhamdulillah!

I really like the idea of the college since he was a teacher himself but perhaps it's too ambitious. I really do like the well in Africa idea. I'm not sure when and how much I can donate since I'm not the actual person donating. Will talk to my family first, inshallah.

PS: I'm just naturally uneasy about online payments. Are these websites reliable? I ask because I've never heard of them.

I don't mean to be mr. downer here, but how realistic is option #3, #4, and maybe even #2? Most of us are students, and I'm sure that many, like myself, don't even have an income. Why not shoot for the community well, and possibly settle on handpumps? Do we need to decide beforehand, or can we see how much it raises? Why not just take that route anyway? Raise money, and see what we can get (you know what I mean) out of it?

Did you guys speak to his family about digging a well for him? They may be able to contribute the significant amounts that you guys can't. We can contribute what little we have to make up the balance, if necessary. And if the family feel they can afford to build the school, then they can go that way. We can still contribute to the cause.

I don't mean to be mr. downer here, but how realistic is option #3, #4, and maybe even #2? Most of us are students, and I'm sure that many, like myself, don't even have an income. Why not shoot for the community well, and possibly settle on handpumps? Do we need to decide beforehand, or can we see how much it raises? Why not just take that route anyway? Raise money, and see what we can get (you know what I mean) out of it?

I think option 2 will be easily reached if we get more just MMers to donate, so thats not a very good target. The 3rd one, we would have to encourage more people to donate and inshaAllah we will reach it.

Come on people, share it with everyone.

But I think you are right in that we should wait to see how much we can make before deciding on the final project.

Oh poop on that

Cleared!

I really like the idea of the college since he was a teacher himself but perhaps it's too ambitious. I really do like the well in Africa idea. I'm not sure when and how much I can donate since I'm not the actual person donating. Will talk to my family first, inshallah.

PS: I'm just naturally uneasy about online payments. Are these websites reliable? I ask because I've never heard of them.

It's not building a college, it's building a water system for the students of the college.

Virgin Money Giving is very reliable- have you heard of JustGiving? It's on par with that except they do not take any money for admin (it was Richard Branson's 'free alternative' for fundraising). I work in a Fundraising dept and our policy is always encourage donors who are doing events/online fundraising to use Virgin over JustGiving.

Because we are all spread across the world, there is no real alternative to doing online payments if we want to get this off the ground. Otherwise, you can do a bank transfer in person (still international) at your local bank into my account and I can donate online with my Paypal/Card.

I don't think the African community well is unrealistic. I think the handpump is too much of an easy option personally, this fundraising isn't confined only to MM- but that link is open to the general public and I hope we all share it with family/friends too.

We don't necessarily need to decide which project beforehand, however it is always motivational to have a set target to achieve and people can keep track of it's progress.

Many here may be students, but certainly not everybody. There is a sizeable group of people who do have jobs and a regular income. Also students doesn't necessarily correlate to not having a dime to spare. Like we always hear, sadaqah does not diminish wealth and the more that we give now- the more we have invested in our own aakhirah and that of Br Nadeem's.

One of the £100 payments on the Virgin Money Giving site was not from an MMer, but from a friend of mine who I sent the link to with a short and personal message. There is more than enough content in the other thread for people to be able to put together an impactful message for their loved ones encouraging them to donate. We all know somebody :)

Did you guys speak to his family about digging a well for him? They may be able to contribute the significant amounts that you guys can't. We can contribute what little we have to make up the balance, if necessary. And if the family feel they can afford to build the school, then they can go that way. We can still contribute to the cause.

I imagine his family will be very busy for at least the next fortnight or so. We can all contribute as much as we can and then present them the opportunity to contribute also- I don't think it's fair asking them to do most of it and us just 'filling in' whatever's remaining.

Again, it's not to build a school- it's to provide a water system for the school.

I think option 2 will be easily reached if we get more just MMers to donate, so thats not a very good target. The 3rd one, we would have to encourage more people to donate and inshaAllah we will reach it.

Come on people, share it with everyone.

I agree!

But I think you are right in that we should wait to see how much we can make before deciding on the final project.

We can do that too. Or we can commit ourselves to a project and have a set aim to strive for. If we each got 10 people to donate £10- that would get the fundraising efforts going at a great pace. And we all know 10 who can afford £10!

as much as i want to do the well in africa, maybe two community wells are doable? im sure we'll have enough for one atleast. insha'allah.

Personally, I think we should think big and aim big. Contribute what we can and set ourselves individual fundraising targets (say £200 each) so even if we cannot afford to give it ourselves, we get onto relatives/friends who can.

Personally, I think we should think big and aim big. Contribute what we can and set ourselves individual fundraising targets (say £200 each) so even if we cannot afford to give it ourselves, we get onto relatives/friends who can.

i like this.

insha'allah we'll raise enough for the well.

I'm actually being supported by my dad at the moment, but I'm sure I can spare a few pounds. I really want to be part of this!